Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently ordered a pair of EZ Motorcycle Detail Brushes from TOL, based on the positive opinions of other Autopians. They arrived yesterday and I checked them out this morning.

This is a *NON*-review because there`s no way I`m gonna touch any of MY wheels/undercarriages/whatever with those things! And I`m not gonna risk marring my wheels just to have some "real" test results. Not even the winter wheels of my worst beater car. The bristles are NOT remotely soft enough for that sort of application on any of *MY* vehicles. I`ve marred stuff with much softer materials than this. And no, *IMO*, the additional lubrication of a cleaning agent wouldn`t be enough to make them safe. There`s just NO way I can see those bristles NOT inducing at least MICROmarring to anything *painted* (as in clearcoated wheels, BTW) that they would touch. They might be fine for plated surfaces, but *I* don`t have any application where they would be appropriate.

I`m gonna stick with boar`s hair brushes and soft foam swabs. Interesting that people are often leery of using the boar`s hair, it`s so much softer that the EZ brush that it`s actually silly to compare the two.

Perhaps the EZ brush has been changed since its introduction. Some of the people who like it are folks whose opinions I truly value. Or maybe this is just one of those "opinions vary" things. Or maybe I`m just very (too?) cautious about this sorta thing.

Anyhow, go ahead and try it, but *I* wouldn`t test it on any wheels that you really care about. Those of you use them without problems- cool, more power to you. I`m sending mine back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmph, interesting. And the description and some of the word of mouth sounded so promising.... http://www.topoftheline.com/ezmotdetbrus.html

Would you say the bristles are kind of coarse and/or hard, like a lot of bottle brushes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

Hmph, interesting. And the description and some of the word of mouth sounded so promising.... http://www.topoftheline.com/ezmotdetbrus.html

Would you say the bristles are kind of coarse and/or hard, like a lot of bottle brushes?

Yeah, I was bummed that I didn`t like it and yeah, that`s how the bristles seemed TO ME. Not quite as bad as a regular bottle brush, but hard enough to worry *ME*.

I used to have a wheel brush sorta like that, only it had VERY soft flagging at the tips of the bristles. The EZ brush looked/felt like THAT one did, but *after the flagged tips wore off*. Once the flagging was gone, it was scratch-city, hence my unwillingness to try the EZ brush (or use any other plastic-bristle brush). Unfortunately, I can no longer find the one with the flagged tips. Irene at TOL said their supplier quit offering them. They were great as long as you replaced them too SOON instead of too LATE.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it as well.

The bristles are very frightening for a car`s exterior :scared

I have used it on lawn care equipment with wonderful results.

The construction is very sound and sturdy and the bristles collapse and fit in the tightest possible spaces, yet retain their shape. The rod the bristles are attached to, bend and conform to many different angles.

However, I share nearly all of Accumulator`s concerns. That`s why I have used it on non-car related things. I have only used it on cars with really nasty door jambs in order to get behind the hinges and into the nooks and crannies for an initial scrubbing before going to a finer detail brush or cloth.

To me, for the money, it ain`t worth it.

This would be a WONDERFUL product only if the bristles were much more delicate. It would be a great behind the wheel brush to name on use. You can still use it for this purpose, I`d just be careful.

Accumulator, if you detail your engine, this may be an excellent tool to get in those tight areas. Just a thought if you`re not returning it.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy- I`m gonna send `em back (grrr about the shipping, though). I thought about what I could use them on, but my engine compartments are all too nice to need that sort of scrubbing...thought about using it on the suspension, etc., but they`re cleaner than that too, even this time of year. Just no need for bristles that stiff on any of my vehicles. Your lawn equipment application was good thinking, but I guess I`m not gonna be that meticulous with that stuff (though I do appreciate the beading on the snowblower ).

It *IS* too bad they don`t offer a "better" version, say, with flagged bristles. I`d pay good money for that. I`d REALLY like it if someone figured out how to make such a brush with boar`s hair bristles! I keep coming back to the boar`s hair brushes..at least they don`t scratch things up (as long as I use them right).

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sad to hear of the bad experience with the EZ Detail brush and I understand your concerns also.

I am on the total opposite end of this spectrum for I use these brushes on almost all wheels I do, not the outside face, I have a flagged soft brush for that area, but I use them to clean the inside portion of the wheels, wheel wells, engines and the exhaust areas. Not to mention they work great on Harleys also

I use these brushes on Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, Maserati and BMW wheels daily and have never noticed any scratching of the wheel surface. I have attached a picture of a Porsche wheel that gets cleaned every week with an EZ Detail brush for the past 8 months or so.

I am sending, or have sent one of these brushes to JGV and perhaps we can get his opinion thrown in as well.

Take care,

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony- As I said, I`m possibly being OVERLY cautious, these days I tend to err on the side of caution in a big way. I`ll be interested in hearing how JGV finds them. The more opinions the better!

And everyone should note that I DID NOT ACTUALLY TRY IT, so I don`t REALLY KNOW if it would mar or not. *YOU* have used it, so people should weigh your opinion accordingly.

A few of my cars have much tighter caliper/rotor/wheel clearance than the one you posted, and I sure would`ve liked something that made the back-side cleanups go faster...I just can`t bring myself to risk the marring.

This is one of those where we can certainly agree to disagree with no hard feelings If everyone ELSE who tries them likes them, well, I`ll be OK with being the odd man out on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one also and it is a great brush for cleaning the interior, hard-to-reach areas on my stock VW wheels. I haven`t found it to leave any marring or scratches. And as Anthony mentioned, I also clean the face of the wheel with a flagged tipped wheel brush and use the EZ brush for interior parts only. I love the fact that it is flexible, and I haven`t found any other "cone" type brushes that are. I guess that really sold me on trying it.

You may want to at least try one of them before passing judgement so quickly. If not, it is understandable. Good luck in finding the brush you are looking for.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: NON-Review of EZ Motorcycle Detail Brush

~One man’s opinion /observations~

I’m in agreement with Scottwax; in fact the only time I’ve recommended this brush is to clean the ‘inside’ (rotors etc) I’ve never noticed undue scratching, but as you stated each to his own.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Macgirl

I have one also and it is a great brush ..

You may want to at least try one of them before passing judgement so quickly. If not, it is understandable. Good luck in finding the brush you are looking for.

Glad it`s working out for you. Keep those REAL evaluations coming.

I don`t doubt that it`s just the right thing for some people and I`m hoping I don`t sound TOO, uhm, precipitous or unreasonable about criticizing it without TRYING it. But if it DID mar something, I wouldn`t know it until it had happened. Sorta like when we use the "CD test" to evaluate things even though auto paint is harder than a CD.

One thing I DO wonder about, and I truly don`t mean to sound contentious, is: why would you use something on the BACK of the wheel that you wouldn`t use on the FACE of the wheel? Most of my wheels are finished the same on both sides, and even those that aren`t are close enough that I treat both parts the same.

The less-convenient methods I`m using now are safe enough that I just can`t bring myself to accept the risk. Having recently spent many hours detailing the backs of 16 summer wheels with more yet to do (clay, PI-III MG, AIO, etc. and that`s *after* they would`ve already looked like new to most people), I`m not gonna take any chances. I spend too much time on this stuff as it is

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I DO wonder about, and I truly don`t mean to sound contentious, is: why would you use something on the BACK of the wheel that you wouldn`t use on the FACE of the wheel? Most of my wheels are finished the same on both sides, and even those that aren`t are close enough that I treat both parts the same.

Umm, how to explain.....for me it is the purpose of the brush that was priority. I was looking for something that was flexible so I could effectively clean the back and interior rim of my wheels without skinning my knuckles or removing the wheel. I`m just an enthusiast, I don`t show my car, I just like having a shiney, well kept car; I just wanted a brush that could reach the places I couldn`t. As for why I don`t use it on the FACE of the wheel, well I simply don`t need this type of brush to clean the face, it`s designed to clean hard-to-reach spaces. BTW, I do remove my wheels twice a year to clean, polish and protect the entire wheel. Driving is harder on them than cleaning with this brush.

Just my way....hope this helps explain your question.

I also would add that if I could find the perfect brush, probably boar`s hair, cone shaped and flexible, I`d buy it. But alas, no such animal has been spotted.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like

Umm, how to explain.....for me it is the purpose of the brush that was priority. I was looking for something that was flexible so I could effectively clean the back and interior rim of my wheels without skinning my knuckles or removing the wheel. I`m just an enthusiast, I don`t show my car, I just like having a shiney, well kept car; I just wanted a brush that could reach the places I couldn`t. As for why I don`t use it on the FACE of the wheel, well I simply don`t need this type of brush to clean the face, it`s designed to clean hard-to-reach spaces. BTW, I do remove my wheels twice a year to clean, polish and protect the entire wheel. Driving is harder on them than cleaning with this brush.

Just my way....hope this helps explain your question.

I also would add that if I could find the perfect brush, probably boar`s hair, cone shaped and flexible, I`d buy it. But alas, no such animal has been spotted.

Same here and as I can`t buy that one here neither I can find a on-line shop that sells me one, I`m looking forward the one Anthony is sending me.

The worst thing for wheels is the daily build up of brake dust, tar and others. It`s better to clean them inside-out weekly than let it build-up until the day we can remove the wheels.

And there`s also the clients cars...

Post Thanks / Like

What about this brush? Anyone try this one? I am thinking of buying one....

Wheel brush

Post Thanks / Like
    Not long enough I guess (as most wheel brushes)

Post Thanks / Like
    I can relate accumulator, I havent found a brush I trust on my rims. I have used the CMA brush on friends cars with no bad results just not risking mine.... too easy to just spray some AZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information