Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought 3 packs of the yellow Costco MF`s referenced here:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=23507

They passed the CD test the same as Pakshaks, i.e. both do not scratch unless rubbed hard, then the both scratch.

I have both (see pic) and I have to say the Costco`s actually feel softer and more plush overall (after both brands are washed and dried once). This might possibly be due to the fact that the Pakshak`s has a "thin and thick side". The Costco`s are identical between each side. I just used the Costco`s to Z6 QD and they were great.

So, $.60 vs a couple dollars each...anyone else care to comment? I may be full of it so I`d like some other opinions. Although I keep getting the "you get what you pay for" voice, I`m not sure if it`s really warranted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some of the Costco`s MF also - for door jams, etc. they are nice but products from China currenlty just don`t have the same quality control of Korea.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got both and I can hardly believe you are comparing them. I found the Costco ones have a stitching which DOES swirl my paint, so I use them for things like the interior.

The Costcos are a great value, but they are "utility only" in my collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by maxshine

products from China currenlty just don`t have the same quality control of Korea.

Yeah, I`ve heard that and I don`t doubt it. I just wonder whether that really matters? If they physically (to a trained/experienced eye) perform the same, do microscopic differences matter? To me if the fibers don`t scratch and clean/buff just as well, does 1/50 the dia. vs 1/100 the dia. of a human hair make a difference other than letting me sleep better at night?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

I`ve got both and I can hardly believe you are comparing them. I found the Costco ones have a stitching which DOES swirl my paint, so I use them for things like the interior.

To be fair, I did not try rubbing the stitching on my paint or a CD because I normally don`t use any stitching on the car. Point well taken though, thanks for the observation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Costco ones. So far I only have one pack, so I can`t say anything about its quality control. Maybe some are nicer than the others?

In comparison with my PakShaks, they perform and feel very similar. They are less staticy, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by maxshine

...products from China currenlty just don`t have the same quality control of Korea.

I`m not about to comment about either of the towels in question but what makes you think that Korea has such great quality control and China does not? I can tell you some real horror stories about Korean goods while my many years of buying Chnese goods (expensive silks mainly) has been relatively trouble free. Now, there are surely Korean mills that have decent quality control but a blanket endorsement of all things Korean is going a bit far.

FYI... the only supplier of that blue fabric for the Burgas Afghan women where forced to wear by the Taliban where Korean mills while mills in three other countries refused this business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

Agreed! :up

They are apples and oranges. Costco ones curl when dried and feel a bit rough.

I have them (24 of them) and enjoy them and have used them on my paint, but PakShak, for the money and qaulity is by far the best deal going. They are heads and tails superior to the Costco ones.

I have heard that the quality control and manufacturing in Korea is better than China and the touch and feel of the actual clothes from by countries lead me to agree with that sentiment since I have about 100 MF`s combined from both countries.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I showed my wife the pic posted and asked her: which looks to be better?

...the blue one she answered. Why?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Korean product is not produced by Slave Labor.

Personally I`d rather have Ronnie and a free Korean make a buck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RABEL

The Korean product is not produced by Slave Labor.

Personally I`d rather have Ronnie and a free Korean make a buck.

oh yeah? as an chinese i rather have the SLAVE LABOR make the buck. i`ve been using the cheap MF i order from online, never had a problem. on my car ,friend`s car, and client`s car NOT a scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used and seen both the PakShak towels and the CostCo towels, and would have to say that the PakShak towels are of higher quality, but this is not because of where they are manufactured. I know Ranney, and he would not sell a low quality towel - for CostCo price is the most important factor, quality is at the bottom of the list. It has nothing to do with where the products are manufactured.

We have bought towels directly from mulitple manufactures in Korea and China and it is just not the case that the Korean factories have better quality control across the board. It is a factory by factory distinction not a country by country distinction. Also, I must say, that you get what you pay for. Good factories will produce microfiber on the cheap if you want to sell them cheap. That is what CostCo does. Ranney buys better towels for a higher cost (as do I), and sells them for more.

Our Pro Detailing Towels are manufactured in China and I think that they are higher quality than PakShaks.

You get what you pay for. Use your best judgement, and don`t belive everything you hear or read. The China/Korea distinciton is simpily a myth.

Ian
    Autofiber.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have about 60 towels varying from Chinese, Korean, Swedish and german. I agree with Ian. The korean ones from my normal supplier are terrific and have no holes or curling after many washes. Another Common Korean brand here Sabco (supermarket) are far inferior. Flimsy, easily holed and seem to have a colour bleed problem.

I have two different Chinese ones and they are both pretty awful wear wise but one of them seemed pretty good when new.

I guess importers quality controls and sourcing ability are more important than the country they come from. Thats what brands are all about I guess !

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DFTowel

I`m not about to comment about either of the towels in question but what makes you think that Korea has such great quality control and China does not? ..

FYI... the only supplier of that blue fabric for the Burgas Afghan women where forced to wear by the Taliban where Korean mills while mills in three other countries refused this business.

I won`t comment on the Afghan issue. But in general higher quality products come from Korea - not China. Electronics, Power Tools, etc. Sure you can get quality from China and poor quality from Korea. But there is a reason why most higher-end suppliers use MF`s from Korea - not China. I like the China made Costco MF`s for utility. I was suprised they came in a sealed bag which Euro brand products from China rarely do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by sheep208

oh yeah? as an chinese i rather have the SLAVE LABOR make the buck. i`ve been using the cheap MF i order from online, never had a problem. on my car ,friend`s car, and client`s car NOT a scratch.

LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information