Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by sheep208

oh yeah? as an chinese i rather have the SLAVE LABOR make the buck. i`ve been using the cheap MF i order from online, never had a problem. on my car ,friend`s car, and client`s car NOT a scratch.

Where did you purchase the cheap MF that caused no problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jgv

I showed my wife the pic posted and asked her: which looks to be better?

...the blue one she answered. Why?

Psychology at work! I thought about becoming an I/O Psychologist (the folks that help make color choices, design workspace, design training programs etc) so its funny you noticed that.

To me the blue ones look more inviting and feel plusher also. Even in my own collection, I have blue, mint green and dark green Pakshaks, I always use up the blue ones first, they just seem better. Its a "richer" and "higher quality" color.

Notice Ranney sells out of the blue also, never seen him out of the other colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have many of both products in question. My Costco towels definitely have a "soft" side for lack of a better description. It isn`t quite as obvious but it is detectable. My Pak Shak towels are easier to spot the soft side but in my experience are far more absorbent. I`m one of the guys that doesn`t put a lot of stock in the CD test. Both brands seem to be equally soft and I haven`t been able to find any damage to my paint using either brand. Like one of the other members said I kind of try to use my Costco towels as door jam and less prominent area towels (I have used them after initial wash when new on my paint). I had no problems with them. I don`t like how the corners roll up on the Costco towels after they are dried my Pak Shaks don`t do this. All in all I feel like I`ve gotten what I paid for and overall prefer the Pak Shak towels though I feel there is a place for both brands.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt let the "brand" or where you buy these towels from play a role in what you percieve as quality. A vast majority of these towels are mass produced and impoted from relatively few manufaturers. Who repackages them or where you buy them from is irrelevant. I`m amused at the number of "Look at these cheap MF towels from here or there....." posts. I posted one a few years ago when MF was just starting to get big and I was blasted by a few saying how you get what you pay for, you need to purchase only from here or there, and how certian towels are made specially for auto and detailing uses. It seems now that popular opinion has shifted and its now in style to find cheap MF towels. I guess I was a bit before my time. LOL, Oh well its good to see people seeing through advertising.

Patrick
    I agree totally with Avalanche. And, these towels are not meant to be in the same league as what other, more expensive towels have to offer, they are simply an adequate alternative. There performance is based on quality and price, and it appears its not really necessary to spend high dollor for a towel that will perform within your desired expectations. Also from what Im hearing, certain towels are not identical on both sides ? Is there a reason that maybe one of the sponsors could elaborate on ? I have purchased these "high dollar" towels from various vendors in the past, and I still use them, there still in good shape, and still perform well, however i more than likely will not spend that money again, simply due to the fact, I dont need to . I have a towel i supply that performs at my level of expectations. Cheap and inexpensive are completely different...

...."It is a great art, to know how to sell wind."

.......Baltasar Gracian, 1647

Post Thanks / Like
    My view of the world:

Cheap = poor and inconsistent quality

Inexpensive = better quality for a reasonable price

When it comes to manufacturing towels there are many factors involved:

- Fabric: What type of terry? Is it Turkish (full loop) on both sides, French or velour (cut loops), or a combination? How many threads per inch, fabric width and yields, processing costs such as dyeing and bleaching. Where does the fabric come from? Transport costs? etc.

- Sewing and packaging

- Warehousing

- Customer service

- Marketing

Most importantly is "perceived quality." As in cars people seem to "think" items from a particular region are better than others. In actuality fabrics from the orient (China, Korea, Japan, India) typically have a poor quality consistency compared to Europe or the USA and are many times misrepresented by the manufacturer in order to get around US quotas. This is not to say that there are not high quality manufacturers there, it`s just that quality control is more of a problem.

While an item may be cheap and perform adequately at first it probably won`t last while a better product will last longer and be less expensive in the long run. According to a recent study there are a lot more Kias, Hyundais, and Toyotas broken down by the side of the road than there are Mercurys, Chevys, and Buicks.

Remember, "perceived quality" is not a true measure of a product. Also, don`t always go for the cheapest, it will probably cost you more in the long run.

Forget the technical aspects of a product such as a towel or polish, leave that to the experts, go by what works for you and your method of work.

Patrick
    I agree
    Forget the technical aspects of a product such as a towel or polish, leave that to the experts, go by what works for you and your method of work.
    Its ultimately your decision, and base it on what matters to you......

Post Thanks / Like
    DF Towel,

I don`t know what study you are talking about, but I seriously doubt that Mercurys, Chevys, and Buicks are breaking down less often than Toyotas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stevet

DF Towel,

I don`t know what study you are talking about, but I seriously doubt that Mercurys, Chevys, and Buicks are breaking down less often than Toyotas.

The one released just today by JD Powers and others speaking of people`s incorrect perceptions about auto quality. US makers get the bum rap for quality because their quality is as much as 75% better than the public "thinks" they are. The opposite is true for such brands as Land Rover where the quality is considerably lower than people think it is. Even VW and Volvo quality are very low compared to what people think they are. It`s all advertising hype!

I`ll take a 10 yr old Mercury over a 10 yr. Honda or Toyota ANY DAY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hyundais and Kias sure, but Toyota consistently wins reliability and long term dependability awards.

As someone who`se had old Fords and old Toyotas, you shouldnt take an old Mercury over an old Toyota ANY day lol Trust me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting off topic..... But I have had both. I currently have a 91 Honda Civic with 145000 miles on it I paid $1400 for to beat up for the winter. Car runs great, is in decent shape still and has never had a major repair by the records I have for it. Also, when I was younger I bought a 10 yo Ford van for with a straight 6 and 260000 miles. It wasnt trouble free, but was still running long after I sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are exceptions to every rule, so nobody is going to win this debate about Toyotas over GM, etc. However, do a web search and you`ll find the 100,000 mile club for Toyota p/u`s. This is on original engines. There are several members with over 1 million miles. And many more at over 1/2 million. Find me some American made vehicles with those kinds of mileage without a rebuild, and I`ll build American.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DFTowel

My view of the world:

Cheap = poor and inconsistent quality

Inexpensive = better quality for a reasonable price

Generally thats a good way to look at some things, MF towels isnt one of those things. Like I said, unfortunately the vast majority of these MF towels are manufactured by a small number of manufacturers overseas and simply repackaged here. I`m willing to say "perception" is all your paying for with the more expensive towels from "premire" distributors. Besides my own experience, there are many many comparisons on this site to prove it. Not sure how this got turned into an american vs. import car debate but its a poor analogy for MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Avalanche

Generally thats a good way to look at some things, MF towels isnt one of those things. Like I said, unfortunately the vast majority of these MF towels are manufactured by a small number of manufacturers overseas and simply repackaged here. I`m willing to say "perception" is all your paying for with the more expensive towels from "premire" distributors. Besides my own experience, there are many many comparisons on this site to prove it. Not sure how this got turned into an american vs. import car debate but its a poor analogy for MF towels.

agreed

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Avalanche

...Like I said, unfortunately the vast majority of these MF towels are manufactured by a small number of manufacturers overseas and simply repackaged here....

True, there are only a handful who market their wares to the automotive trade but my Textile Blue Book shows at least 500+ man made microfiber weavers and knitters world wide. Polyester micro has been typically marked for janitorial use and only came into automotive in the last few yrs but the construction has never channged.

The high end is not necessarily hype however. In the man made (polyester) microfiber end I`ve seen Pakshak and Costco and I can tell you without hesitation that the Pakshak is a better woven fabric.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information