Post Thanks / Like

Maintaining that wet look

With my new 05` Black Altima. I`ve been doing some research on what polishes to use and I decided to give Meg`s Gold Class polish a try. It left a nice finish after one coat but I wasn`t incredibly impressed with the finger test. I think it needs atleast another coat. can`t quiet tell because it was dark outside when I finished. I like to keep the black paint wet and eye catching. I`m looking for suggestions on what products to use if any to keep the car looking sleek during the week? It would be my guess that its not a good idea it keep applying polish every week anfter I wash correct?

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    buy a water tank that fits neatly into your boot, then hook up a series of hoses to drizzle water over your car....that should keep it looking wet.

In all seriousness though, I think you need to do some reading and learning then re-ask the question ( if in fact you need to ). You are confusing polish and wax and need to get the basics under your belt first....
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Altima05,
    Welcome to DC
    I am not sure what you mean by the finger test ... please explain.
    I have used Gold Class in the past and it does a decent job.
    To maintain the car between waxes try using Poorboys Spray and wipe.
    That will help maintain the wet look without waxing every other day.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good way to keep Polishes and Waxes sperate in your mind is to remember that Polishes generally have abrasives in them and are meant for repairing damages. Waxes are for giving you the wet look. The wet look is caused by oils in the product you are using. Glazes and carnaubas are the best for that kind of thing. There are many sealants that provide that kind of look too. I`ve done some product reviews on OCDetails.com that might help. It is certianly not a diffinitive review page, but it may give you some direction. Its still not done yet.

I would definitely suggest that you spend some time reading the threads around here too. The guide that I wrote on OCDetails might help you sort out what kind of questions you might have. I wouldn`t suggest asking the question "What should I use and how do I use it?" The answer to that is incredibly long and pretty subjective to the person who answered it`s own personal opinion. My guide to detailing it totally just my opinion on the subject. It might lend some direction though.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks, I just found this forum I never new it existed. I`ve had my hands full so I haven`t been able to browse around here. So I thought I would just ask. Apperantly to some people here that was a mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Altima05
    Ok thanks, I just found this forum I never new it existed. I`ve had my hands full so I haven`t been able to browse around here. So I thought I would just ask. Apperantly to some people here that was a mistake.
    What? I don`t understand what you mean. Click on the links to Jngrbrdman`s post and read what he has to say there. Very informative. If you feel the need to ask more questions, feel free to post. You will get many answers, long and short, to help you. Asking questions isn`t a mistake.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Altima05
    Welcome to DC!
    The replies you received don`t seem to me to be "getting on your case`, but they probably didn`t fully answer your quetion.
    Unfortunately, IMO, there isn`t any easy answer to your question. There are so many ways to acheive good results that it is not a case of "use this three times and you got it".
    Do some reading and you will find lots of answers that will lead to lots of questions. Just ask those questions.
    While your Gold Class wouldn`t be my product of choice, it certainly isn`t a bad product and will do a decent job for you until you decide how far you want to get into this detailng thing.
    Don`t go out and start buying a bunch of stuff just yet, (Sorry Vendors).
    I probably will screw this quote up, but Jngr once said "The perfect finish is not a product, but a process".

Charles

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are you talking about when you say the `finger test`? If you are still feeling roughness or something on the surface after waxing, then that means you didn`t prep the surface properly. The proper process, as I have seen it written about a zillion times, is to wash, clay, polish and then wax. You are doing step 1 and 4 of a 4 step process. If its not meeting your expectations then it is because something is missing in the middle. Besides, a brand spanking new car shouldn`t really need any improving anyway. It doesn`t get much better than brand new paint. Make sure your expectations are in line with what is actually possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m impressed - a serious post from the Fuzz-meister! You must really rate to get that!! Usually he`s just kidding around and picking on poor, little Whaler!!
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Post Thanks / Like
    Norah,

The past few posts the Fuzz has given serious responses.
    Maybe this is a rare glimpse of many facets of the love buzzard :dunno

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps so, it`s just so surprising! It`s almost out of character for him? Maybe the hurricanes have turned his head (or at least messed up his mullet?).
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Post Thanks / Like
    A hurricane would dare disrespect the mullet...
    he would use the axe :lol

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can`t hang out on DC as long as I have and not pick up a few things along the way. You have to remember... I`m the guy who developed a line of car care products that are actually really high quality. :naughty

Thread Information