Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a bottle lying around for about a month that I bought on a whim. Seeing the good review here I tried it on my headlights and tailights and it definately cleaned and shined them up quite a bit. Lots of the gritty feeling on the plastic was removed without using a claybar. I would not use it on paint, especially since the bottle specifically says not to use it on paint.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Deanski

I tried it on a "clear bra" with small scratch on it and it did NADA, nothing, zero!

Looks I may have to go Plexus or Novus.

Regards,

Deanski

Hi Deanski,

While this product is for clear plastics, it’s not really intended for working on clear bras. This type of plastic is in a category all its own. Nowhere on the label does it say it’s for clear bras. I have a large piece here in my office to test on but I haven’t had the time.

I have been asked by a number of people who install these clear bras if there is a way to remove scratches, even cobweb-effect out of it.

So I`ll check it out, however from my experience, I`m going to guess it`s going to be a pretty hard problem to solve, for Meguiar`s or for anyone else.

The plastic is too soft, too flexible, too thin, too workable. It doesn`t lend itself to abrading.

Just like paint, in order to remove a scratch, you must remove the material surrounding the scratch until the surrounding surface is as low as the lowest point of the scratch.

I hope you’ll give it another chance on other plastic surfaces such as the ones Tim listed.

I have personally used it on Plexiglas motorcycle windshields and it easily removes #2000 grit sanding marks when used with terry cloth toweling.

It also works better than anything I have ever tested on flexible clear plastic windows like you find on convertible tops on cars and boats, especially after they have been neglected for some time and are hazy and filled with scratches... and does it in one step.

When you do find a product that removes scratches from these clear plastic films being used for protecting paint.... make sure you share that with everyone, I know a lot of people are interested in finding a "fix" for this problem, including myself.

Perhaps there are some other companies besides the ones you listed that make plastic polishes that will work better on clear bras for removing scratches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s what 3M replied as to scratches on clear paint film.

"We usually recommend a plastic cleaner similar to the Plastx product to

remove light scratches. Most of the plastic cleaners require a lot of

effort and time to get them to remove scratches. This is because they have

very fine or a low concentrations of abrasives. I recommend trying the

Plastx again.

Avoid using abrasive cleaners like rubbing compounds or cleaner-type waxes

recommended for medium to heavy paint oxidations. These can leave

scratches.

Regards, Matt
    "

Just so you know...

Yes the film is soft and plyable, so it`s tuff to resolve these issues. Maybe Novus, or other product, but I`m still waiting for more info from 3M.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can back up what Mike Phillips said about plastX removing 2000 grit scratches. I did a test with an acrylic bowl, got some 2000 grit and wetsanded the bowl a bit until it was hazy. Then I got some plastX, worked it in for about 3-5 minutes and the hazyness was gone. There were some scratches left but I think it was because I was using the cheapest most dirty terry cloth around so I bet with a proper microfibre the results would be flawless!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information