Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    I wouldn`t suggest that 4*SMR replace DACP or anything like that. This would be a great product to clean up any haze from a more abrasive product or if you just have minor marks on the paint that you need to have cleaned up. Its effective at what it is meant to do. I can only imagine how nice it would be for 4* to make something along the same lines as DACP. :drool
    By the way, thanks for the review Anthony. This review was more for Rick than it was for Detail City.
    What I mean by that is Rick wanted to fine tune the product before it is released rather than changing anything after it officially hits the market so your oppinion was very important to us.

He is cutting back on the blue color to a very pale whitish blue.

I also want to know if it is possible for you to use less product per panel than you used during your testing or of you feel you used the least amount that you possibly could get away with.

We just think that may have something to do with the residue that you experienced but it would be better if we could be there to see your results in person to offer more detailed instruction.

We really appreciate you findings and your unbiased review.

Take care,

Dwayne McPeeks

P.S.

Of course we are coming out with something more abrasive in the next few months...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a problem, Dwayne. If my opinion is going to matter to anybody then they need to know that it is my own and not purchased by someone. While I appreciate Rick sending me some to try for him, you can be sure that if it sucked then I would certianly be the first to say it. I think Rick has really come up with something good here and it is certainly going to be a good product for anyone needing something slightly more effective than 3M SMR, #9 or PPCL.

I believe that my use of too much product in some areas was the problem. The hardest places to remove the product were the areas that had the most on it. It is as tough to remove as DACP the following day if you miss any. I found some on my side mirror this morning on the way to work that took a little QD on a towel to remove. I don`t know how that spot got missed with the rest of the polishing that I did, but it found a way. Anyway, either using less product or making sure that it is worked long enough is the key to not having removal problems. I didn`t have any problems on the panels that I was able to really work the product.

I will keep testing this product. The abrasives in it are interesting. I want to test it on a car with some oxidation on it just to see what effect it has. You`ll never know what a product is capable of unless you put it to the test. Testing will continue...

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As to the Edge pads` hole, my thoughts are (and this isn`t for certain, as I`m not affiliated with them), that the holes are (as alluded to by Groebuck)to prevent marring that`s introduced when a pad spins in 1 place too long (mostly for rotaries, or floor buffers). The center has a more concentrated spin, so it can cause swirled scratches if the pad isn`t kept in motion. This wouldn`t be of consequence with DA pads, but there would still be the extra margin of safety.
    Plus, you can use the hole to hang the pads all neat and tidy on the wall or while drying.:-p
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    If 4* SMR is a little difficult to work with and SSR is not, why not just use SSR? Are there any advantages to 4* as far as results are concerned? I realize that you said that you probably applied too much product which is why it was more difficult to remove, but isn`t it better if a product is forgiving to that?
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used SSR yet so it isn`t something that I could compare it against. Honestly, there are a lot of products that are more effective at removing swirls simply because they are more abrasive and may be removing more of the clear. However, there are times when it just isn`t wise to use a canon to kill a mosquito. Why use a 7 on the scale of 1 to 10 if a 3 will work? I don`t know where SSR fits in on the scale, but my guess is that it is not on the same level as 4* SMR. 4* SMR is designed for new cars or cars that are in good condition and have very very minor swirls. It isn`t for neglected surfaces. There is DACP and stronger abrasives like that out there for bad finishes. Unless SSR is low in abrasives and comparible to #9 or 3M SMR, then I really don`t feel like it is fair to compare them on any level. It may be easier to use, but if it is more abrasive than you need it to be, then it may not be the right product for the situation.

The reason that they had me test this new product was to work the bugs out. I have been told that changes will be made and updated versions will be tested before it finally hits the shelves. It is still in the development stages at this point. Areas of improvement have been identified and are being worked on, I have no doubt. Some of the problems I experienced were user error and easily corrected by adjusting how I used it. This is a new product unlike any other that I have used and it takes a little getting used to. I am looking forward to continuing use of this product on my car for minor swirl repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Great Answer!!! I`m looking forward to seeing what the newer versions can do! I do believe that SSR1 is very comperable to #9 in abrasiveness and would probably be a 3 on the scale as well. Of corse, SSR2, 2.5 and 3 are more abrasive, so comparing them is a different story. But because this product is still in the works, I agree that its not time to make a final judgement. Plus, they are going to change the aspects of the polish that are a problem, like the difficulty to remove. They aren`t going to be changing the abrasives, which obviously work well from your description. It can only get better, so only time will tell where it fits into the mix...Thanks for the response...
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information