Invicishield

So what`s the deal with this stuff?
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Boss_429
    Koop,

This may help:

http://www.invinca-shield.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Griots sells clear plastic film for protecting body panels and door jambs, but they don`t recommend it for plastic bumpers because of some deal about the flex agent in the bumper paint that would make it crack if you cover it with plastic or something like that. I wonder if this stuff would solve the problem. In any case, the industry absolutely needs something to protect those damn painted bumpers from minor dings. Maybe this is it.

Post Thanks / Like
    3m`s scotchcal is the material invinca-shiled, stongard, xpel, etc uses. I think Eastwoodco.com sells strips of the material.

It`s a godsend when its applied correctly be requires very fine skill with one`s hands and some water/alcohol spray and a special squeege. It`s not reusable when taken off and will be ruined if you mess up applying it.

I have heard some paying $1000 to have a clear bra of this material professionally installed on their cars.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thx but i can just ask a rep about the product. I`m looking for actual testimonials and opinions.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic Bra

Isn`t there a front-end cover that is made of hard plastic that sits on little rubber feet to keep it off the paint? I could have sworn I saw it at Pep Boys years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a vinyl bra when I have to go on truck infested roads like the NJ Turnpike. I keep it off for local driving. Working well for me. As for testimonals, Deanski from Autopia raves about his Armorglove bra kit. I have no doubt it`s good stuff but I`m hoping an even more practical material is invented.

Doesn`t seem too impossible to perfect the scotchcal material and make it adhere by static cling only so that anyone can apply it (without alcohol ,water and a squegee and risk ruining it if not done perfectly), remove it, reuse as wanted.

Post Thanks / Like
    KOOP

I have seen it on a few cars one BMW thast comes to mind. It looked good from a distance but if you got next to the car you can see it on the car this was a light colored car. If the car is clean its hard to see where it is on the car but if its dusty you can see the line where it ends pretty well which for me was a draw back. If it was a truck or RV then I would think it was OK but not on my BMW
    The appliction is the key you need someone that knows what they are doing.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can definately tell on my dad`s 72 where it was not applied, dirty or clean. Around emblems it has to be givena very wide birth, so you can see where it wasnt applied.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Protection film

OK, for those wondering about paint protection film or "clear bras", I have one installed on my Lexus SC430.

This is Armorglove. It covers the front bumper/air dam, headlights, hood is wrapped under edges, fender by headlights, rocker panels, side mirrors and door cups.

Best investment I made! It is the 3M Scotchcal product and worth every cent!

I highlighted where it ends on hood as it`s difficult to see unless very close to the car.

After several years, I can have it removed. Paint under it gets same amount of UV, so no mis-matches when it`s off. It`s also not for the weekend warrior to apply.

You can see it here as well:

Armorglove

Regards,
    Deanski
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like

Just detailed a car with this ... need some help

Hey guys,

I just detailed a car with the Armorglove on it and had some problems. The problems are, I called the installer and asked what could I use on the car and the answers made my job tougher. They said:

1) No buffing, plastic will break down under termperature.
    2) No dyes, pigments or abraisives, as it will scratch.
    3) Nothing with solvents.

This made it tough. Could not use Klasse AIO aws the prep for UPP as usual. Could not use my regular chem`s to get bugs and tar off of the vehicle. Could not use any polish or compoindsw to get scratches off anywhere near the stuff. My guess is the installers and reps are super conservative on what I can use. I am thinking of getting a sample of the stuff to work it over and see what it does to it. Any one else have experience with this stuff? What have you used with success or failure?

-Matt
    Thanks
    -
    ------------------------------------------
    Matt - A part timer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Armorglove

True, you have to be careful on what can be applied to it. You can polish it but you MUST use a plastic polish if you have defects on the film (scratches, scrapes, bugs etc) and you can use a wax over it as long as it doesn`t have any cleaning abilities, such as solvents.

I`ve used Zaino on mine with no ill effects.

You can wax it, but again you have to be careful.

Here is the info on maintenance on the product direct from 3M:

Can I use wax over 3Mâ„¢ Paint Protection Film?
    A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft brush such as an old toothbrush. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used.

Q. What products does 3M recommend to best maintain 3Mâ„¢ Paint Protection Film?
    A. 3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. 3Mâ„¢ Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), 3Mâ„¢ Show Car Paste Wax (3M Part #39526) and 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax (3M Part #39026). The best surface cloth to use is the 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-ITâ„¢ III Detailing Cloth (3M Part #39016) since others may scratch the surface of the film.

More info can be found from 3M on Scotchcal here:
    3M Scotchcal (Armorglove, Xpel, Stoneguard etc)

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like
    I just joined this board and figured I`d chime in on this topic.

I have an invinca-shield that I installed on my Audi TT....

It was a total pain to install and I`m not sure what I think of it. I`ve had it on the car for a year now and it protects very well. My car`s dark blue and you really can`t tell the material`s there except for the edges.

I`d recommend anyone thinking of this to have it professionally installed. My gf and I spent a good 6+ hours installing it and it still looks like crap. The pieces just didn`t fit right, and invinca-shield claims the TT kit is their best selling, so they don`t see how the pieces could be cut wrong.

All in all, I`d do it again, but not myself.

Post Thanks / Like

How I handled the car

As an update .....

When I detailed the car, I used the following steps:

Dawn Wash - To safely get off any wax since I could not use AIO
    Clay - To get any surface stuff of tar and the lijes
    UPP - To get a layer of protection and a little shine (applied with a PC at setting of 3)
    P21S - To give a little more warmth due to not being able to use AIO (applied by hand)

I did not have any issues with the layers scratching or discoloring and a follow call to the customer confirmed it is still not showing any signs. I think this material is a good bit more robust than we are led to believe with chemicals, the manufacturer and installer just need to be conservative.

-Matt
    ------------------------------------------
    Matt - A part timer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Armorglove

Armorglove is thicker than some other films, but it still has to be handled correctly.

Anyone thinking of a paint protection film SHOULD have it installed at a licensed and trained dealerships of the product, as it requires special tools and knowledge to install correctly. The ones just for the headlights can be done by yourself, but I still reccommend a pro to do it, as it`s a PITA!

I can wax over Armorglove, but did get a scratch on it due to me being a TOOL with rubbing one spot too damn hard and did not pay attention. Oh well, break out the Novus! Crap, I also have one on the rocker from my shoe! Must have parked too close to the wall in the garage and hit it getting out. Other than my "TOOL-ISH" nature, best investment I made!

After several years, I`ll have them remove it and re-apply a new set.

If youre car is low and prone to stone chipping, look into it!

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information