When I was in the market for a new polisher, it was because of want and not need. The GG 6 inch has done a lot and works amazing. The only complaint I had was after correcting paint for 3-4 hours your hands would be so worn out and numb from the vibrations. I don`t detail professionally so this will be a review from the side of the enthusiat who helps friends and family. This will be comparing the Griot Garage 6 inch random orbital with the Rupes Bigfoot 15mm random orbital.

Size:
The LHR15 is bigger, but the design of it makes it easier to hold. It won`t fit in tight areas the same as the GG. Pretty much any place you can use the GG with a 5 or 6 inch pad you can use the Rupes. This would be a tie.

Ease of use:
This might be shocking to some people, but the Rupes is not a polisher you pick up and feel instantly comfortable with. While holding it feels comfortable and confidence inspiring it does take technique. It is very sensitive to weight and tilting. The pad will stop spinning rather easily if you apply too much pressure or if the pad isn`t faily flat on the paint. The GG 6 inch actually will spin through just about anything with its extremly powerful motor, so because of that there is a learning curve. However after a few panels you quickly learn how she likes to be used (rupes)! This category is hard to decide. If you are just starting out the GG will be easier to use. If you have polished before and are familiar with DAs and proper technique then the rupes is definetly more comfortable.

Build quality:
Honestly this might be a tie between the two. Neither feel like they would survive a drop because of all of the plastic externals. The dial on the GG for speed clicks while the rupes is a continous motion. Both feel very well made and designed to last.

Price:
GG 6 inch - $140-$160 (in Canada)
Rupes LHR 15 - $379-$429 (in Canada)
Don`t think I need to explain who wins here

Pads:
Well I have used a few GG pads, I prefer lake country and megiars. Anything with a hook and loop backing will work on this polisher. The Rupes recommends you only use their pads (they offer 6). The 2 microfiber pads are very nice but you have to be careful with the product. If you are not paying attention when you put the product onto the pad you might accidentally put some on the backing plate. The other 4 foam pads work similar to other foams pads but build quality of them is much better!

Backing Plates:
Well the GG can be used with any backing plate. I have a 3 inch, 5 inch and 6 inch. All work well but the best balance I found was a 5 inch backing plate with a 5.5 inch pad. The rupes says it will only work with the 5 inch rupes backing plate. Now I will go ahead and confirm that the 6 inch backing plate from rupes does fit on the machine and it will work. The smoothness is not the same. The motor spins a bit faster than the 21 but has the reduced throw. I use the 6 inch backing plate on the rupes when I am working on a large flat panel to increase the area I am covering. I will say that 85% of the time I use the 5 inch backing plate on the rupes. The GG wins this one as it offers more versatility.

Correction ability:
To run this I used megiuars mf cutting pad on a test hood that I have. I put 2500 grit wet sand marks in it and tapped off sides. Both were using a 5 inch backing plate. Both had the cutting pads on them (even though rupes doesn`t recommend it). Speed was put at 6 for both machines. I used Prima Swirl as the polish as I had some laying around and it was easy to get too. Both removed the sanding marks without a problem. The rupes required a lot less effort and did it in almost half the time. When the rupes you do not have to push down as it will stop the pad from spinning, it`s actually rather amazing how well it works when you put very minimal pressure down. The GG 6 inch did the job and did it well. It did take a bit more time and required more effort from the user (more vibrations and a bit more pessure). I will step up to 2000 grit at a later date. But the swirl isn`t designed to remove sanding marks so I was pretty impressed. The Rupes wins this category.

Operator experience:
Well this is very subjective. I find the Rupes easier to hold and use. It takes less pressure and corrects pretty fast. The GG works very well but the hard plastic exterior and wide body make it a bit less comfortable. I will state the the GG is a the 3rd generation with the 10 foot cord (25 was sold out). Rupes wins this category.

- Rupes does not have the KB washer mod on it right now, but I am thinking I might try it

Which would you recommend?
Honestly If I could only have one polisher, I would be torn. If you are only going to polish one vehicle, save the money and get the GG. It is the best bang for your buck and works awesome. If you have a polisher already I would say the Rupes is worth taking a look at. It`s smooth and corrects very well. Once you learn to not push down as hard as you might be used too and to let the machine do the work you will be amazed. I find the LHR15 is something I do not regret buying. When it comes time to do some correcting or polishing I go for the Rupes first. I have the GG setup with a 4 inch pad for the tighter spots I can`t get too with my Rupes (5 inch is the smallest backing plate). I am glad I have both.

Complaints about the rupes;
- trigger is the on/off switch, it is not variable like a rotary
- as others have stated, it seems like it really only has 3 speeds
- That`s it, it is a very good machine and comfort wise, there is no DA that I have found that can match it

Complaints about the Griot Garage;
- none, it is a well built machine that I have never had a problem with
- it will work great for a quick scratch removal or correcting a vehicle over the course of a day and not complain!
- maybe if they could make it smoother, but I wouldn`t want that if it would loose any power

Hope this helps anyone who is on the fence about if they should get a Rupes or not. If you have the money, and polish on a regular basis then go for it. If you already have a DA and only work on one vehicle, it can be lived without. If you work on larger trucks and SUVs then look at the Rupes 21 and 15.

Once I figure out how to post pictures I`ll see if I can add some up. Overall they are both great polishers and you can`t go wrong with either of them.