Post Thanks / Like

CarPro spotless water spot remover - review and how to

Water makes up over 70% of The Earth. Some might even say it`s necessary for life... As a car lover, water serves two purposes... One - It provides part to the equation so I can safely clean dirt off of my bay. Two - It pools up into tiny little beads and runs off the paint, providing me with joy and smiles.

Unfortunately, the supposedly amazing substance is also responsible for creating one our car`s biggest hazards - water spots. Water, itself, isn`t responsible, but it acts like a transport device. It carries minerals, calcium, metals and other things we don`t want sitting on our surface. Once the water evaporates, the minerals deposit on the surface and become very difficult to remove. Given enough time, some of these deposits will react chemically with your paint and begin to eat it, creating etching marks.

Traditionally, the way to remove mineral deposits has been to grind them off by polishing the paint. While this works great on paint, glass and coated metals, it does nothing for vinyl trim, plastic or textured surfaces. It also reduces paint thickness.

Another alternative is to use something like distilled white vinegar. Unfortunately vineager is only effective on about 30% of the minerals that can cause water spots. Enter CarPro Spotless Intense Water Spot Remover. Spotless is effective on almost all types of water spots (not etchings) and is safe for any material on the exterior of your vehicle - paint, plastic, chrome, aluminum, faux trim, rubber, wheel finishes.. you name it, it works.

When ever I test a product, I like to push it to the extremes. My recently acquired 2006 Tahoe spent the last 4 years parked under a tree, blasted daily with sprinkler water. The entire side (both sides), wheels, trim, windows and plastics are covered in a noticeable film of water spots.

Here is a picture of the door:

And the glass:

To get the best results from CarPro Spotless, you want to follow the directions closely.

First, spray it onto the section to be cleaned.

Second, spread with an applicator. CarPro recommends either a sponge or one of their microfiber squeeze applicators. I found that using a Orange Light Cutting CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicator wprked best. It provided some agitation to the surface, working the Spotless against the water spots, without scratching the paint. If I was working on delicate paint, I would switch to a White Applicator.

Third, wipe the surface with a microfiber towel. This step is vitally important!! Do not let Spotless dry (if it does, mist a little more). I believe the application softens the spots, but the wiping is what actually removes them.

Repeat Steps 1-3 until you are satisfied with the results. Stubborn water spots, such as the 4-year old build up on the Tahoe, can require multiple applications. In this case, it took 3 applications to fully remove the water spots.

Finally, rinse the surface clean. I used a Supreme 530 towel, soaked in water, to flush and wipe clean. I followed this by drying with a Cobra Guzzler. I would recommend washing the entire vehicle after it is done.

The Results:

The door, in the same spot as before.

The glass (the right side had been completed, you can still see spots towards the left.

The changing cloud cover and silverish color of the Tahoe made it hard to document the results the way I wanted (blue or red would have been ideal). So I taped off a section and repeated the steps above on the right side.

After experimenting with a few different angles, this is the best before/after shot I could get.

Here is a cropped image from the above photo. I added a faint line for reference.

The results on the chrome-like door trim:

The bumper...

And here is a 30/20/50 shot of the front bumper. To the left is the untreated side, in the middle is a spot that had been protected by a front license plate, and to the right is the bumper after two treatments of Spotless. It appears that one more treatment will finish the job.

Conclusion:

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover is one of the best water spot removers I have tried. It does (as does any wsr) require some agitation and reapplication on neglected surfaces (like the 4 years of neglect on this Tahoe). Ultimately, it removes water spots without having to polish the paint. On fresh water spots it should work much faster.

I add additional photos as I work around the Tahoe and the lighting conditions become more favorable (gray spots with a gray overcast on a gray truck..)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro spotless water spot remover - review and how to

I picked up a bottle on my last order. Haven`t had the chance to try it yet but it looks very promising. Thank you for your review, Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

I got myself some of this product about a few weeks ago, with some other Carpro Goodies.

Thinking back, I should`ve bought more. Here where I live in NM, the water quality is atrocious, once one lives here, you`ll then understand much better, how caves like "Carlsbad Caverns" formed. And there`s a literal ocean under us here, all brackish water.

But, getting to the point, when I wash my DD, my Tahoe with Chrome Wheels often gets splashed with the local water. And the water spots are devils to remove.

I tried some of this product on one wheel last week, simply spread it on, wiped with a soft sponge, let dwell a short time, and then rinse wiped with a towel, clean bucket of water.

The spots were gone right now! Great product, and it`s why I say I should`ve bought more of it.

When I wash either vehicle, I know all too well one has to work at lightning speed, otherwise the spots become very tough to get off the paint, and glass.

Thanks for the review Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, Todd! I bought this about a month ago and have yet to use it. Thankfully I haven`t developed any water spots on my car, but my parents are a whole different story. I have Opti-Coat on both, so I was happy when CarPro said it was designed with coatings (albeit, their coatings) in mind.

Thanks for the guide! It`s always easier to do something when you have a good guide to follow, which you do better than anyone. Quick question, though. Since I don`t have the applicators that you used, would you recommend a foam or microfiber applicator pad? The spots shouldn`t be that bad - less than a year max, and more likely in the less than 6 month range.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this review!

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna probably have to use this on some cars im washing tomorrow. Glad I made the purchase, it looks like its well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd (or anyone else)can you tell me if this is more effective than the chemical guys water spot remover. I did not have good luck with that and need a water spot remover.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Todd (or anyone else)can you tell me if this is more effective than the chemical guys water spot remover. I did not have good luck with that and need a water spot remover.

Thanks.
    I`m thinking about doing a comparison soon. The thing with any water spot remover I have used is they do require some patience and elbow grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post

Thanks.

Having used both I can say undoubtedly Yes; CarPro Spotless is easier and more effective than CG WSR in my opinion. I too am working on a review of Spotless.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one for ya, ever see the waterspots on a boat windshield? One that gets washed once a year and lucky if that? Well, I went out and bought about 4-5 waterspot removers and none worked that well. So, I have a bunch sitting around and use them on paint, ok, 64K dollar question - tell us ol fart, which one worked best, well Grasshopper, it would be that 3D Eraser that my boy in raleigh sent me to try. It`s thick like syrup and smells funky, but it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. Ordered some up this morning and can`t wait to give it a try

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Todd for the review
    you basically covered it all. these were some nasty water marks , well baked! small tip to you all, you can leave the Spotless to dwell for some time , it will soften the marks even more , before agitating with the sponge .
    Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Thanks for the review, Todd! I bought this about a month ago and have yet to use it. Thankfully I haven`t developed any water spots on my car, but my parents are a whole different story. I have Opti-Coat on both, so I was happy when CarPro said it was designed with coatings (albeit, their coatings) in mind.

Thanks for the guide! It`s always easier to do something when you have a good guide to follow, which you do better than anyone. Quick question, though. Since I don`t have the applicators that you used, would you recommend a foam or microfiber applicator pad? The spots shouldn`t be that bad - less than a year max, and more likely in the less than 6 month range.
    it will work well on Opti coat as well i believe , MF applicator if fine as well.

another last tip: Spotless works amazing on bathroom glasses as well , my wife now cannot stop thanking me for it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    Thank you Todd for the review
    you basically covered it all. these were some nasty water marks , well baked! small tip to you all, you can leave the Spotless to dwell for some time , it will soften the marks even more , before agitating with the sponge .
    it will work well on Opti coat as well i believe , MF applicator if fine as well.

another last tip: Spotless works amazing on bathroom glasses as well , my wife now cannot stop thanking me for it lol
    Avi, while I have you here...

Is it harmful if Spotless dries on the surface? I noticed on the windows, which are tinted, that it the heat (even in the shade) of the glass made Spotless dry extremely fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Avi, while I have you here...

Is it harmful if Spotless dries on the surface? I noticed on the windows, which are tinted, that it the heat (even in the shade) of the glass made Spotless dry extremely fast.
    Not harmful on glass to dry, for paint it wont damage as well, but official advise is never to let any chemicals or acids to dry on painted surface.

Spotless is great prep step as well, before waxing or coating, it leaves very clean surface after, squeaky clean..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    Not harmful on glass to dry, for paint it wont damage as well, but official advise is never to let any chemicals or acids to dry on painted surface.

Spotless is great prep step as well, before waxing or coating, it leaves very clean surface after, squeaky clean..
    Thanks Avi

Thread Information