Post Thanks / Like

Putting the Wow back in black trim with Black Wow Pro - review and how-to

The original Black Wow is one of the best-looking exterior trim restorers and protectants on the market. Black Wow Pro looked to extend the durability (7 months in testing) and ease-of-application of Black Wow, resulting in an all-new formula.

Black Wow Professional Trim Restorer is available in a 16 ounce jug or (soon to be released) smaller size.

My first test subject was the gray-looking mirror trim on my Mazdaspeed3. It didn`t look too bad so I was curious if cleaning and protecting the trim with Black Wow Pro would make a difference.

Because any dressing will work better on clean trim (free of dirt, grime, wax residue, oil, silicone, etc), Black Wow developed Pre-Wow Pre-Cleaner as well as their Pre-Wow Trim Cleaning Brush.

Mist Pre-Wow directly onto the surface to be cleaned.

Use the Pre-Wow Brush to agitate the surface of textured plastics and trim.

Wipe clean with a damp microfiber towel. Wipe off paint as well.(Note: Pre-Wow recommends the cleaner is washed off with soap and water, making it ideal to use Pre-Wow prior to washing your car).

You can see how much grime/gray soot was wiped away from the tiny mirror housing.

After cleaning, the trim did look slightly darker and more uniform, but it definitely needed attention. (look at the metal flake exploding in the paint thanks to the recent coat of Synergy)

Note: Pre-Wow is also an excellent cleaner for caked-on wax residues. It removed this compound stain a bodyshop left on my faux-carbon vinyl wrap with EASE!

Applying Black Wow Professional Trim Restore is very easy. Simply rub into the surface with a poly foam applicator. It does not go as far as the original formula, so when it stops applying evenly, add more product and keep applying until you get an even coat.

Black Wow Pro initially goes on wet but quickly absorbs into the trim. Simply spread it out until you get an even coat.

Removing the tape line highlighted the difference between the untreated and treated side. With in seconds Black Wow absorbed into the finish and was try to the touch. The look it created was extremely rich and dark.

Let`s try a second area- How about the faded gray running board on this Ford Expedition?

Cleaning with Pre-Wow...

A lot of oxidized plastic and embedded gunk came off quickly from the otherwise "clean" trim.

To the far left you can see the uncleaned section and the dramatic improvement just cleaning with Pre-Wow made.

Working Black Wow Pro Professional Trim Restorer into the running board.

Application was effortless and very little product was needed to coat this section.

The end results are simply outstanding.

Black Wow Professional is among the easiest to use, long-term trim dressings I have ever used. It literally melts into the trim with no visible streaks or high-spot patches. If it has a slightly uneven texture, add a little more product to the bare spots and it`s magically uniform.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Putting the Wow back in black trim with Black Wow Pro - review and how-to

Awesome review Todd! I love this stuff! It`s very durable as well I have it going strong on my Jeep for over 4 months now.

Post Thanks / Like

How would you compare it to Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus Todd?

Post Thanks / Like

How does this compare with G-techniq`s permanent trim restorer.

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff never did much for me.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Solution Finish restorer. How does this compare? Looks good in the pics

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review Todd, next time use some gloves when applying. Always great to practice the art of protection of your skin.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried so many trim restorers and never been wow`d.

I have some GTECH on the shelf and will give that a try. If that does not do it, I will try the Black Wow. Thanks for the review Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Was it the PRO or the original formula? I still have the original and sometime it works well while other times it`s only so-so. Also the pre cleaner came out long after I bought the original WOW so I never bought it, might be a vital element.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Todd, as always! You really go above and beyond and go in depth and provide a review that someone can actually use as a purchasing guide.

If I could add one thing... Gloves. After researching what`s in so many of the detailing products we use, I have started wearing gloves for even the most seemingly safe tasks. It`s better safe than sorry, especially with something as easy as putting on a pair. I think everyone should wear gloves and I try to in all my pictures and reviews but think if people saw someone such as yourself wearing them, then they may be more inclined to actually putting them on. Just food for thought... You`re absolutely spot on in everything else you do!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Todd !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Awesome review Todd! I love this stuff! It`s very durable as well I have it going strong on my Jeep for over 4 months now.
    Great to hear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by colinpd137 View Post
    How would you compare it to Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus Todd?
    Not sure that I would, they are so very different... Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus will make slightly faded trim look new, and keep like-new trim looking great... Black Wow Pro will restore the color to fade trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    How does this compare with G-techniq`s permanent trim restorer.
    Haven`t tested them side by side, but I have always gotten good results from Gtech.. Gtech is a nano-glass coating that lays on top of the trim, BWP soaks into the trim. They are very different in how they work, but likely provide similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    This is the new Pro version, which is easier to use and creates a more even finish in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    I use the Solution Finish restorer. How does this compare? Looks good in the pics
    Solution Finish works well on black, but can look very funky on other colors. Black Wow Pro will work on any color.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
    Awesome review Todd, next time use some gloves when applying. Always great to practice the art of protection of your skin.
    In the real world, I always use gloves. When using my camera, it`s 50/50 because any product on my gloves could cause me to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I have tried so many trim restorers and never been wow`d.

I have some GTECH on the shelf and will give that a try. If that does not do it, I will try the Black Wow. Thanks for the review Todd.
    Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Was it the PRO or the original formula? I still have the original and sometime it works well while other times it`s only so-so. Also the pre cleaner came out long after I bought the original WOW so I never bought it, might be a vital element.
    The Pre-Wow makes a HUGE difference with either product IME.

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Great review, Todd, as always! You really go above and beyond and go in depth and provide a review that someone can actually use as a purchasing guide.

If I could add one thing... Gloves. After researching what`s in so many of the detailing products we use, I have started wearing gloves for even the most seemingly safe tasks. It`s better safe than sorry, especially with something as easy as putting on a pair. I think everyone should wear gloves and I try to in all my pictures and reviews but think if people saw someone such as yourself wearing them, then they may be more inclined to actually putting them on. Just food for thought... You`re absolutely spot on in everything else you do!
    I don`t disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review Todd !!!!
    Thanks Pat !

Thread Information