Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Throw Down: Iron Remover Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I get what your saying, but let me offer a twist...

Iron-X will work better on the iron content part of the brake dust/road grime. I do not believe that Iron-X has any detergents and/or surfactants that would aid in cleaning the other material. Any "cleaning" you get is really provided by the agitation of water over the surface.

SONAX Full Effect features some color-changing iron eaters (likely enough to clean/loosen most iron-based brake dust), but also features wheel-cleaning detergents. For most of the wheels, it should provide an easier cleaning experience than Iron-X, although Iron-X will do a better job cleaning the "brake dust rust" off of severely neglected wheels.
    Great Review Todd and very objective!,
    few remarks i would like to notice,
    -it was good to know how much liquid consumption you sprayed per each strip.? gelly sprays consume much more per square meter , lower viscosity spray is great factor to cling and penetrate to areas which hard to reach.
    this would reflect the cost effective per each product too.

- you could have test as well one over the other , to see who will continue dissolving irons from the surface, this would give you good idea who really did remove the most of the spots and the deepest.

- IronX does contain some surfactants , it will help cleaning wheels as well .

- there is no problem if ironx dries over the surface, its easy washed off after,
    so the dry factor is not that big issue.

thanks again for a great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Todd was there any reason why you didn`t use the new version of Iron-X on this test?

From what I have seen and found with the newer version there seem to be a better cling of the product to the surface than with the orginal.
    Can you tell me how I know if I have the new version of Iron X? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by litngboltz View Post
    Can you tell me how I know if I have the new version of Iron X? Thanks.
    New version:
    CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent 500 ml.

Old version:
    CarPro Iron X Iron Remover
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Thought of that after I posted. Any chance you can point me to a discussion of the differences? I was under the impression it was just the scent.

EDIT: Just your personal experience? Maybe Todd or Avi could comment on these findings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by litngboltz View Post
    Thought of that after I posted. Any chance you can point me to a discussion of the differences? I was under the impression it was just the scent.

EDIT: Just your personal experience? Maybe Todd or Avi could comment on these findings?
    These are the two that I could find:
    http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...mon-scent.html

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...highlight=iron

The newer version has a much improved smell over the orginal but still has a small "funky" smell but thats to be expected with any iron removing product.

Post Thanks / Like

The newer version has a much improved smell over the orginal but still has a small "funky" smell but thats to be expected with any iron removing product.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Todd was there any reason why you didn`t use the new version of Iron-X on this test?

From what I have seen and found with the newer version there seem to be a better cling of the product to the surface than with the orginal.
    I did test the Lemon Scent against the original, previously. Other than the smell, the performance was near identical (in my tests). I could see how some people would prefer the lemon scent to the original, but I did not.

Being as that CarPro is an industry leader in iron removal, they offer several unique iron-cleaning products. I wanted to limit this test one product per brand, hence, why I went with CarPro`s still-amazing Iron-X. It is still the most power, and thus most effective in this group.

Post Thanks / Like

I did test the Lemon Scent against the original, previously. Other than the smell, the performance was near identical (in my tests). I could see how some people would prefer the lemon scent to the original, but I did not.

Being as that CarPro is an industry leader in iron removal, they offer several unique iron-cleaning products. I wanted to limit this test one product per brand, hence, why I went with CarPro`s still-amazing Iron-X. It is still the most power, and thus most effective in this group.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Of course, besides a Lemon Scent vs. Original sounds like another excuse to do a comparison. In fact, if the Lemon wins, it would make a great rematch

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, besides a Lemon Scent vs. Original sounds like another excuse to do a comparison. In fact, if the Lemon wins, it would make a great rematch
    Hey and excuse to do a rematch is ok in my book. Anyway to cut down on confusion between the two and and show any differences for people new to the forum or just reading is an added bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dd1101 View Post
    Todd, as always I love your honest and unbiased test; Thanks!
    Thank you very much. I do my best to shelf expectations & bias, and report just what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Great review but I am surprised you gave the AF any points for scent. I have IronX and used it a couple times on my wheels (chrome) and got no visual effect. It work on some rusted metal bars. I had some naval jelly rust remover (phosphoric acid) and smelled a lot like IronX.

My question is if you did two treatments would that remove more? I assume so since it should be a chemical reaction that uses up the active ingredient as it works. This way someone could go with DDJ and just use it more than once on heavy jobs.
    Yes, I would think 2 treatments would remove more, perhaps far more. In some cases, 2 treatments could have removed all of the iron contamination, which would have defeated the clay testing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Very nice review. I just got some autofinesse to try out and I have to agree with you. The smell is very strong. I gave my rear bumper a test spray and it felt like the smell lingered for about a day.
    Not the most pleasant scent, but good results!

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Great test Todd! It would be nice to see some price comparison in the test results too.
    I`ll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks Chad

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Great review, Todd, as always! I gotta say, I am surprised (pleasantly) on how well the Dodo entry did. Going in, I would have guessed it would have been in the bottom half, not (nearly) tied for first! Just goes to show how important these tests are determining which products are the real deal, and which are not!

Thanks again for all your time doing these! I know I can speak for everyone in that we really enjoy them!
    I always think of Dodo Juice as a "wax" company, but the truth is, all of their products are VERY VERY good. I was surprised as well, but thinking back, I shouldn`t have been.

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Yet another outstanding product review. Thanks Todd.
    Thank you my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Todd...stellar review as always !!!!
    Thanks Pat!

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    Great Review Todd and very objective!,
    few remarks i would like to notice,
    -it was good to know how much liquid consumption you sprayed per each strip.? gelly sprays consume much more per square meter , lower viscosity spray is great factor to cling and penetrate to areas which hard to reach.
    this would reflect the cost effective per each product too.

- you could have test as well one over the other , to see who will continue dissolving irons from the surface, this would give you good idea who really did remove the most of the spots and the deepest.

- IronX does contain some surfactants , it will help cleaning wheels as well .

- there is no problem if ironx dries over the surface, its easy washed off after,
    so the dry factor is not that big issue.

thanks again for a great review.
    Thank you Avi for the compliments and information!

Thanks for linking those

Hey and excuse to do a rematch is ok in my book. Anyway to cut down on confusion between the two and and show any differences for people new to the forum or just reading is an added bonus.
    I`m in 100% full agreement!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, Todd. As always, you go out of your way and give us, the members, a great comparison test of some well known products. I`ve been away these last couple of months and it`s great to come back and see one of your famous comparison threads.

I agree 100% on the poor performance of Wolf`s DeIronizer gel. I made a thread a few months back asking Wolf`s if there was something wrong with batch I received because when I tried it on my car I got little to no reaction and poor cleaning ability.

I will need to add a bottle of Dodo Juice on my next order based on your results.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting review. When you clayed, you did use a lube spray of some sort?

Post Thanks / Like

ToDD,

I have a white camaro with infernol orange decal stripes will Iron X hurt my decals ????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    Thank you so much, Todd. As always, you go out of your way and give us, the members, a great comparison test of some well known products. I`ve been away these last couple of months and it`s great to come back and see one of your famous comparison threads.

I agree 100% on the poor performance of Wolf`s DeIronizer gel. I made a thread a few months back asking Wolf`s if there was something wrong with batch I received because when I tried it on my car I got little to no reaction and poor cleaning ability.

I will need to add a bottle of Dodo Juice on my next order based on your results.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Dodo!

Quote Originally Posted by LJSNY View Post
    Very interesting review. When you clayed, you did use a lube spray of some sort?
    ONR

Quote Originally Posted by KBsSS View Post
    ToDD,

I have a white camaro with infernol orange decal stripes will Iron X hurt my decals ????

NO, it should be fine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information