Post Thanks / Like

Review: BlackFire Midnight Sun Paste Wax

Getting ready to sell the 2005 TSX so a cleanup was in order. Light polishing required on the hood and trunk deck (Sonax 3/6 with white hybrid pad) while the remaining panels received Sonax Premium Paint Cleanser applied with the Flex via a yellow hybrid polishing pad. Tires treated with Perl (not diluted-straight up)

I don`t have the BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection that`s the companion to Midnight Sun so I reached for the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal instead and hit the car with two coats figuring it would simulate the look-a modified version of Fire Over Ice. After waiting about 45 minutes, I than applied two coats of BlackFire Midnight Sun Paste Wax that I recently received over the holidays. The Acura red is flat so I cannot comment on how it reacts with the metallic flakes, though from others it apparently does a great job enhancing the look.

Pros: Super easy to apply and very forgiving even if you get heavy handed. WOWA with no effort, similar to Fuzion in that respect. Made the paint look very glossy & wet. Did I say it was super easy to use? For those who prefer to apply wax to their entire vehicle rather than WOWA, this would be a factor. Personally I`m good either way as long as it`s easy and this wax was truly a pleasure to use.

Cons: Seemed to darken the paint color. Having two white cars, I`m always looking for a nuba to brighten things up so this was a bit of a negative for me.

Conclusion:
    Strongly recommended knowing that it has a bit of a darkening effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BlackFire Midnight Sun Paste Wax

Nice review.

I can comment on the WOWA vs apply to the entire car. I have done it both ways with this wax and they both work well. I try and apply my wax super this (JTWO) so applying it to the entire vehicle then removing it is still a breeze.

As for white vehicles I almost always go sealant or sealant + 845. But I prefer sealant over Nuba waxes currently.

Post Thanks / Like

On my last detail (white paint) I laid down a coat of #845 first and than topped with two coats of Sonax Premium Paste Wax. But I was my understanding that the "tough" layer goes down first and the "sacrificial" layer on the top. So in that case it would be nuba over sealant. Perhaps Todd could help clarify as this is pretty typical of what I like to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    On my last detail (white paint) I laid down a coat of #845 first and than topped with two coats of Sonax Premium Paste Wax. But I was my understanding that the "tough" layer goes down first and the "sacrificial" layer on the top. So in that case it would be nuba over sealant. Perhaps Todd could help clarify as this is pretty typical of what I like to do.

You are absolutely correct.

Any more on most cars and especially white I don`t bother this a paste wax. With white I feel the you don`t really get the Nuba glow/pop. So I stick with a sealant and if I use a wax on top it is usually 845. Because 845 gives that added pop I like on white.

Sorry I don`t want to derail your review.

BFMS is one of if not my favorite paste wax to use. It leaves a great finish and adds the glow I like. And working with it is super easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I tired the first issue of MS years ago, wasn`t impressed

mebbe time to try again
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review. I really like BFMS. I find it ranks up there with my other fav carnuaba Pinnacle Souveran. Super easy to use and a great look.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

what batch are we on now as i have batch #24. how old is mine and how much different is it from the latest batch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post
    what batch are we on now as i have batch #24. how old is mine and how much different is it from the latest batch.
    I think yours is the PAC version. I have a tub of batch 25 I haven`t touched and am saving for God knows what. From what Todd mentioned here, there have been some improvements with the newer versions. I don`t think they do the batch thing anymore, I could be wrong though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Troy and no worries - its all about forum members sharing ideas, thoughts and experiences. White is a blessing and curse. Difficult to really get it to pop and I`m not sure BFMS would be my #1 choice for that. For dark colors, it would be perfect and regardless of color, you have to love the ease of use.

Keep in mind that the TSX is 8 yrs only and has lived outside for most of that. Served reliably as the daily driver for my two kids and yet the paint still looks great. (except the typical dings & paint chips you would expect to find on an eight year old DD) Like I said in the review, BFMS seems to mute the red down especially on the hood but I`m going to give it another try on one of white vehicles. Seemed to work great overtop the WG Liquid Deep Gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post

It`s not much different or noticeable anyway. I still have some older batches and they work and look great.

Post Thanks / Like

That color really looks great now. Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

The red paint looks awesome.

IF we still did batch numbers, this version would be 25. It is improved upon from the older version, but still delivers the same rich finish, impressive water beading, and deep glow.

Addy, give it a shot on white, you might be pleasantly surprised. Yes, it will "wet" the paint and darken it slightly, but it will do so keeping the reflections and brightness on white paint. It`s a really great look

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    The red paint looks awesome.

IF we still did batch numbers, this version would be 25. It is improved upon from the older version, but still delivers the same rich finish, impressive water beading, and deep glow.

Addy, give it a shot on white, you might be pleasantly surprised. Yes, it will "wet" the paint and darken it slightly, but it will do so keeping the reflections and brightness on white paint. It`s a really great look
    I will Todd and thanks for the input. Perhaps over this weekend I`ll strip off the AF Spirit and give the BFMS a shot. Will try and report back when that happens.

Thread Information