Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

re: Six way waterless wash comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Great review (commented elsewhere) but will add that having the right sprayer really helps to get a nice even coat. Some with uneven sprayer patterns lead to product just running down the paint.
    I really like the grey (and similar orange and white) sprayers as I used, they give a real nice even big mist.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Thank you for that. I too am a waterless wash junkie and have about a dozen......so far.
    On the D-115....is 4 to 1 what the directions recommend? I would think that any of the concentrates mixed at that ratio would have had an entirely different outcome since they are considerably more diluted with water.
    Yup, the bottle says 4:1 and for direct sunlight use you can adjust it from there all the way to 20:1.

Check out Marc08EX`s review on it also he has a pic of the back of the bottle and he tried other ratios.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-wash-wax.html

I mixed every product to their standard manufacturer recommended ratios for my testing (aside from Ecosmart and Adam`s since they were both RTU). What happens that quite possibly could be due to those ratios when you compare them side by side is one comes out a clear winner. So I`m not denying that ratio is a contributing factor at all it could be the big reason it felt safer to use and left such a slick feel. I guess Meg`s chemists were smart enough to realize, hey this stuff is amazing if you use more. None of the other waterless products have ratios listed that use anywhere near that much product to water. UWW+ is 40:1 for example. Ecosmart I bought RTU and Adam`s is also RTU and they both edged out the competition in safe slick feeling while using too just like D115 did so I`m going to guess (need to look it up to confirm) their ratios are more product heavy than the others also.

No idea what would happen if you used the others with more product to water since they weren`t designed for that. May lead to streaking issues I`d think in some cases.

I wasn`t even going to bother testing D115 but Marc`s review was positive and at the last minute I ordered some and added it to my testing. Never in a million years would I have thought I`d like it so much better than the others. Not because I had some preconceived notion that Meg`s makes bad stuff or anything like that. It`s just because I was at a point with Pinnacle and UWW+ tied in my testing which got me thinking, how much better could anyone really make a waterless wash?

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: I read the directions on the other test you linked. I wouldn`t call them decisive by any means. I still hold that many of the concentrates mixed @ 4 to 1 would yield totally different results, maybe favorable maybe not.
    Just saw your edit after my last reply.

Yeah but the thing is none of the other products state being able to use a ratio anywhere near 4:1. I`m not a chemist (that`s for damn sure lol) so I can`t pretend to understand why on a chemical level the ratios are chosen the way they are but I`m assuming it`s based on the chemistry and what must be nearly as important actual real world field testing of a product before launch. So if Ultima or Pinnacle tried 4:1 or 8:1 or whatever and it worked better then wouldn`t they put that on the bottle instead of their current less product to water ratios? Taking it upon yourself to try and give them a leg up that Meg`s was wise enough to do themselves as written on the bottle doesn`t exactly prove anything other than the fact that they should have used ratios that included more products to water.

I`m not sure why you don`t think the bottle of Meg`s stating 4:1 and then saying "mix up to 4:1" isn`t decisive it`s in white and black (backwards haha) text. If pinnacle said "up to 10:1" (random example) that`s what I would have used but it says on the bottle 32:1 and only 32:1 so that`s what I used. Just like UWW+ is .5oz to 21.5oz of water which is 40:1.

Marc`s picture:

Also I don`t know why I feel the need to defend a product or you try and poke holes in it when it`s written right there but all I can say is I did what every bottle said and the results were one product that is a big step above the others thanks to someone at Meg`s realizing more is better unlike all the other waterless products.

Post Thanks / Like

Defend a product? Poke holes in it? What? Are you sensitive today?. Opticlean is also used at a 25% ratio but I have found it cleans better/easier if you use a bit richer mix. I was only wondering if some of the others would work better using a bit more product than the directions state that`s all. Sorry to have bothered you. Sheesh!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sensitive at all and you didn`t bother me. As if some big rooster is gonna ruffle my feathers haha. It was your edit that threw me off and I didn`t understand why you`d say...

"I read the directions on the other test you linked. I wouldn`t call them decisive by any means."

after reading a label that says up to 4:1 one it twice?

Which is what I meant about defending Vs poking holes. Not as if it was an actual heated debate where it matters in the end. I meant it as, i gave you a link to a picture of the label that says 4:1 to prove it actually says that (me "defending") after you questioned it the first time (which is cool, I checked it twice too before mixing since all the others are light on product in their ratios) yet your "not decisive" comment still made it seem like you were apprehensive that it`s 4:1 after reading the label yourself (you "poking holes"). I just summarized that lengthy explanation by boiling it down to defend and poke is all.

It wasn`t about the ratios of the others. I agree that the ratio must play a roll in why I like D115 better and if the others are capable of being mixed with more product to water and working well then the companies that make them should consider adding those options like Meg`s did stating 4:1 but up to 20:1 depending on your conditions. I pulled no punches on the review because I was after my personal favorite WW for my own use since I use it so often. No companies gave me free stuff to test or anything (man my wallet wishes they did haha) so I was as straight forward and brutally honest as possible with each products review of how it stacks up to the others in the same field within the six I tested.

So again, you didn`t upset me and I`m sorry if I upset you that wasn`t my intention I merely questioned your reasoning for not finding the product label definitive enough proof of it`s ratio. It wasn`t anything else since we`re on the same page of odds are ratio matters.

Post Thanks / Like

What threw me off is this: UP TO 4:1. To me that is not decisive, it just gives a maximum. The others are very precise with 25:1. 32:1, etc. Now, as mentioned, many of these actually work better running a richer mix than their "precise" mixing instructions indicate so maybe Megs is covering that angle with the variable mix. If it works just as well considerably more diluted than 4:1 then it appears to be a good buy. I wasn`t knocking it (or you) at all as I have used these types of "quick washes" since 2004.

One of my write ups on a other forum is now a sticky with 78 pages and just shy of 191,000 views. That was on the one that started it all....Wet Paint Glaze which came about in 1988. I caught plenty of flak for the write up such as "will scratch your paint, can`t work, won`t clean a dirty car", and so on. It did and still does work, I consider it the best of the lot bar none. Now everyone and his brother is coming out with a waterless wash and many "experts" are eating their words. Point being is that I do have some experience with these types of products and I appreciate the work you did and your take on those that you used.

Post Thanks / Like

I just chose to read the label and you`re choosing to read into the label more and I can`t deny that it`s not a 110% firm ratio if you focus in on the "up to" wording and wonder if that leaves room somewhere for the "perfect" (for lack of a better term) ratio. On the other hand that "up to" can be considered another good thing it has going for it when it comes to a person who doesn`t want to just try out some ratios of their own and see if it`s ok to increase product amount and by how much and if that streaks or if it works better or if there`s no change. Meg`s did the tests and said, here`s the window you can use that we found works best. Unlike all the others which just say use this, the end.

It is however quite clear (to me at least) that 4:1 is the standard since it`s mentioned twice on the bottle and also in the product video done with Mike from Autogeek where the Meg`s guys mention it being a 4:1 ratio several times with lesser amounts of product to water being good for hot climates and direct sun where you need more wetness to slow any evaporation.

How to use Meguiar's D114 & D115 Rinse Free Express Wash - YouTube

I know my post count is low and I`m new here but please don`t think I`m new to detailing based on that. I started detailing in `97 then from `99 to `05-`06ish (was taking lots of time off, hence the "ish" haha) I did it as my main job but that "ish" came as I got burnt out and ended up quitting detailing as my main job for quite a few years. I got hooked again when I bought my current garage queen and became obsessed with trying new products. Thus why I`ve been able to do a few comparison reviews on different types of products because I`m having fun comparing products to see what works best for me and that`s all it`s about. It doesn`t matter what other guys use to me it`s what works for me that matters (as it should be for every detailer) thus why I followed the bottle labels and compared them that way and didn`t take liberties so it would be an even comparison the same as it would if anyone bought the bottles and follow the directions.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I finally got a chance to read the entire review. Very well done !!!

I hope to try D115 at some point.

I have the Pinnacle waterless wash w/ Nuba as well as UWWP. I like the Pinnacle for cleaner cars with coating when I want to add that extra little gloss. I prefer UWWP for cleaning and slightly dirty vehicles. I choose to buy a gallon of UWWP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groebuck View Post
    Just curious have you ever used Poorboys Spray and Wipe or Duragloss FCS? Those have always been my go tos.
    I posted about 5 or 6 years ago about how I mixed about 15 percent aqua wax with FC&S and it works really well.

Recently I tried the same thing with Poorboy S&W about 15 percent AW makes it add some gloss and protection while cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe can also be mixed with Poorboy`s Spray & Gloss to have a good safe cleaner that also leaves a very nice shine. Nice tip on the AW, I wouldn`t have thought of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe can also be mixed with Poorboy`s Spray & Gloss to have a good safe cleaner that also leaves a very nice shine. Nice tip on the AW, I wouldn`t have thought of that.
    RT I have used a lot of the spray and Gloss mixed with S&W but the AW will last longer.
    Only down side is you will need to make a couple extra swipes with the MF towel to remove because it has more substance than a normal QD.

Since you do commercial work this probably will not interest you because it will take a little longer but on you own vehicle give it a try you just may like it.
    I talked to Bill the chemist at Duragloss and he said I could mix it with FC&S in fact the way he talked I think it already has some that is where the shine comes from in the FC&S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Great to see you here Shane, how are those product reviews coming?
    I did a review on a couple of the products but didn`t get many responses:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...less-wash.html

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ire-shine.html

I am actually car shopping right now - had to sell the Ciera. I posted this on Autogeek on 8/6:

So here`s the scoop. I was driving the other day and heard a pop. I wasn`t sure what it was and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I kept driving to my destination (first mistake). Everything seemed fine until I got to where I was going and went to back into a parking spot and realized that my steering wheel was really hard to turn. Decided to forego the errands I was going to do and just drive straight to my mechanic. So I`m driving and lights start coming on (battery, temperature, service engine). Temperature gauge is buried in the hot zone and keeps flicking around. Now I`m freaking out and getting really pissed, so I did the dumb thing and just decided to keep going rather than stop and pull over (second really stupid mistake - really wasn`t thinking straight at the moment).

I managed to get there (drove 15-20 miles - really don`t know how I made it), the engine is smoking and the coolant is boiling like crazy. Turns out, the pulley for the power steering belt broke and fell off and threw the power steering belt off (so neither the alternator nor the water pump was working). Needless to say, my engine is toast and the car is sitting at the mechanic right now and is not drivable.

So, I am borrowing my dad`s car right now and figuring out what to do. It`s really not worth fixing (probably $2500 - $2800 for a new engine) just to hope it gets me a few more years down the road. So, I may be either borrowing some money from my parents or a bank, and looking for a nice used car either private party or a dealership. Been feeling bummed since yesterday, as I was kinda afraid of this. Pray everything works out and maybe I can find a nice used car for a decent price. Guess a forum name change may be in order, huh?

And posted this on 8/12:

Painful day today. I sold my Ciera to my mechanic. It would have cost me too much to repair it. A used engine would have run about $2300, a new engine closer to $3500-$3800. Only got $350 for it, but I`m out from under it. Apparently he knows somebody who knows a young couple in their church who is struggling to make it, so they are trying to find a cheap car to give them. So if that works out and my mechanic makes a couple hundred bucks, that`ll be good. Maybe my car can be of use to somebody else. Guess it`s time to go car shopping!

Not sure what I`ll be getting yet, but I`m sure whatever it is will need to be detailed. Haven`t had a decent "canvas" to use in a while, so some reviews should be forthcoming on the new ride.
    Shane

2016 Honda Civic EX-T in Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review, XSSIVE!!! I like how you used 6 products and compared them all against each other. I`m just happy I don`t have to try CG, Adams or DP. I`m still curious about the Pinnacle though.

I`m glad to see you come up with the same conclusion that D115 is the best waterless wash out of the bunch.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

Okay, I finally got a chance to read the entire review. Very well done !!!

I hope to try D115 at some point.

I have the Pinnacle waterless wash w/ Nuba as well as UWWP. I like the Pinnacle for cleaner cars with coating when I want to add that extra little gloss. I prefer UWWP for cleaning and slightly dirty vehicles. I choose to buy a gallon of UWWP.
    Thanks. I still think UWW+ and Pinnacle are great and also like Ecosmart RU despite needing a bit extra buffing at the end. I was just after the one I felt was the all around best for me which is the reason I did the test, not so much to review them for everyone else. I wasn`t actually going to write it all up but was asked to by a few people I mentioned the testing to so I figured, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Very nice review, XSSIVE!!! I like how you used 6 products and compared them all against each other. I`m just happy I don`t have to try CG, Adams or DP. I`m still curious about the Pinnacle though.

I`m glad to see you come up with the same conclusion that D115 is the best waterless wash out of the bunch.
    I started the write up offline keeping notes as I used each product before adding D115 (which I added after I read your review) hence the title being one WW shy in the numbering since I just copied and pasted my offline written text and overlooked that edit...whoops. I asked Todd to change the thread title but he never responded to my PM.

I`d give Ecosmart a shot just for the heck of it if I were you, it`s only below Pinnacle and UWW+ in my ranking due to the extra buffing needed at the end due to the extra wax which like I said could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I`ve got a full spare 16oz bottle of Ecosmart RU along with 3/4 of a gallon (so I have some to spare haha) and a bunch of Pinnacle concentrate if you want to try them send me a PM and maybe we can work out a trade for something. It would be cool to get another persons take on the others since we seem to agree on D115.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information