Post Thanks / Like

Review : CQ Fabric vs HD Fabric Protector

Hey guys, I been searching for a type of Fabric Protector to apply to my brand new 2013 Tacoma.

Personally, i am a HUGE fan of Carpro`s. So their Fabric Coat is a MUST for me to try out.

While Carpro makes a huge selection of product, their Fabric coating is probably 1 of the MOST EXPENSIVE product they sell.

I got my 100ml bottle for $21. And i know for a fact a 100ml bottle will not last me very long. (In fact i was only able to coat *2* of my headrest and Passenger + Driver side carpet. But shortly after just doing 1 of the headrest, their sprayer head decided to dump on me and i ended up losing probably half a bottle.

So my mission was to find a different Fabric Protector product at a more affordable price range. So i took the opportunity to try out HD Care Care products.

Carpro`s Fabric & Leather Coat - $21.99 for a 100ml bottle
    HD Fabric Protector - $12.99 for a 10*oz* Bottle

*Sorry i did not take any pics of me applying the 2 products, but it is pretty self explanatory.
    The CQ Fabric is in a sprayer form, which IMO it took MORE passes + PRODUCTS to cover the headrest.
    While the HD Fabric Protector comes in a aerosol can, allowing you to spray it on like spray paint.*

And HERE are the results. (I let both headrest air dry for at least 24 hours before testing)

After wiping off the water

Summary :

As you can see clearly, they both did not protect the headrest COMPLETELY.
    But the CQ Fabric Coat did a much better job when compare to the HD Fabric Protector.

If you remember i said the CQ Fabric Sprayer died on me shortly after just doing 1 of my headrest, and product started leaking out from the neck of the sprayer. I lost more than HALF a bottle of the CQ. (After changing the sprayer head, i was able to cover 2 Headrest and Driver & Passenger SIDE FLOOR CARPET.)

I used the HD Fabric on 3 Headrest , ALL OF THE INTERIOR FABRIC SEATS, and the BACK ROLE Carpet in my truck.

So the HD Fabric lasted me a LONG WAY when compare to the CQ Fabric.

Durability is the question here.

I was told the HD Fabric will easily last 6 Months
    While the CQ Fabric will last 8 Months.
    But at this point i am not concerned with the Durability, as both products did not PROTECT and REPELLED COMPLETELY.

*If i ever get a chance to use the CQ Fabric again, and put it in a better sprayer, that might have give me better results*

But overall, I`d PREFER CQ Fabric OVER HD Fabric. Because i did put HEAVY COATS on with the HD, while the CQ was just 1 coat / layer.

Now i just hope it did not change the way my fabric LOOK & FEEL. Or else i will be REALLY DISAPPOINTED.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review : CQ Fabric vs HD Fabric Protector

Nice review.

I like the well thought out and documented test.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and pics !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

pictures worth a thousand words...........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, I recently tested out the CQ Fabric and had some issues with the sprayer and losing some of the product. I also was pretty heavy handed and probably used way too much product for the application. Next time I will test out 2 lighter coats and see how the results compare.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the sprayer that comes in the Blackfire crystal seal. The spray pattern is nice and uses very little product. Because my 4oz bottle still have more than half, after countless application.

I am just really disappointed that i lost half of my bottle, after just a few squeeze on the trigger. (IF) i ever do get my hands on another bottle, i would change out the sprayer head right away, before anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent review! Hate you had a bad experience with the CarPro sprayer. I just ordered the 250ml Cquartz fabric & leather coating last night. Hopefully my sprayer doesn`t break on me.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Nice and thorough review ... That`s wierd though, both video`s demonstrating the products show a completely different result, like 100% hydrophobic qualities.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the CQ, but not on fabric - on leather. For fabric, 303 seems to be the best. Its cost effective, and lasts forever, and repels water very well. It just seems crazy to use CQ on fabric for the cost. But if you use it on leather it spreads very far.

I really liked the fine sprayer that comes with CQ - and haven`t had any leak problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I use the CQ, but not on fabric - on leather. For fabric, 303 seems to be the best. Its cost effective, and lasts forever, and repels water very well. It just seems crazy to use CQ on fabric for the cost. But if you use it on leather it spreads very far.

I really liked the fine sprayer that comes with CQ - and haven`t had any leak problems.
    Won`t these types of products hurt the leather since it can no longer breathe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Won`t these types of products hurt the leather since it can no longer breathe?
    I`m from the school that says most auto leathers today have a urethane colorant layer and then a clear layer. IMO those layers are what we are "treating" and "protecting".

The leather is already coated with what is basically a urethane paint - its not breathing. The best thing you can do is keep it clean and use a product that creates a mechanical barrier, like CQ F&L, to protect abrasion to the colorant.

I stopped using all "conditioners", as my research tell me they are a waste of time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I`m from the school that says most auto leathers today have a urethane colorant layer and then a clear layer. IMO those layers are what we are "treating" and "protecting".

The leather is already coated with what is basically a urethane paint - its not breathing. The best thing you can do is keep it clean and use a product that creates a mechanical barrier, like CQ F&L, to protect abrasion to the colorant.

I stopped using all "conditioners", as my research tell me they are a waste of time and money.
    I think you are right about most car leather today. At least with the leather in my personal car that is. Every time I condition it, it doesn`t seem to do much. So I bought the CQ just to protect my leather seats. I think using it on carpet may cost too much.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys

CQ fabric use solvent carrier , the spray trigger now(chinese made) is too sensitive to the solvent
    soon we will change the bottle and the trigger for much better so it wont leak or get blocked

CQ fabric has long durability against washes or high alkaline cleaners, which most used on soft tops, i would believe that it will out perform any other fabric sealant which based on polymers

Avi

Thread Information