Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review

Source: Personal purchase from Autopia-CarCare
    (I had actually wanted to order the Polymer spray but ordered this instead by mistake)

Manufacturer`s Description
    BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax gives your vehicle the rich, reflective shine of Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste in an easy-to-use spray application. Refined and purified “Ivory” carnauba wax has been synthesized with BLACKFIRE`s proprietary Wet Diamond polymers into a streak-free aerosol spray that is guaranteed to created whiplash! We didn`t stop there, BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax is packed with nourishing oils and special anti-static agents that produce a rippling glow across the paint that stays cleaner, longer. Use BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax to boost your existing BLACKFIRE protection or as a stand alone paint protectant. It ripples with whiplash either way!

Price: $15.99 (11 ounce aerosol can)

Directions on container:
    SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING
    Blackfire Midnight Sun Spray Wax separates separates quicky and needs to be shaken well to produce outstanding results. Spray BF MS SW on surface where shine is desired. Let product set 5-15 minutes (product must dry to haze) and wipe out with clean, soft cloth for an outstanding durable shine. FOR BEST RESULTS, USE BETWEEN 65 - 75 F.

Conditions: In garage, 75 F, probably 110% humidity (typical NC morning before the sun gets up)

Application process:

I shook the product well (at least a couple minutes). I could not detect any change in the rattle can sound to determine if there was any change in consistency.

After a few sprays, it appeared the best method is very short bursts ( 2 seconds max) in a sweeping motion at slightly off angle so it drifted on the paint seemed to provide some the best even coverage. Longer bursts causes blobs as the sprayer seemed to build up.

It was super quick to apply though by just walking around the car. I ended up spraying about 2 ft above surface to get thin more even coat. However, it is inevitable that I got product on glass. I may experiment more the next time I use it.

Using the swipe test, I ended up letting it waiting over 20 minutes before removing. I left one section (front facia) much longer and still was easy to remove.

After application on hood, note blobs. Longer spray times cause more and larger blobs

In the garage, about an hour later

The dual personality of Tuxedo Black Metallic Paint and certain LSP`s (usually sealants make it more obvious)

Flake - indirect sun

Flake - direct Sun

Gratuitious tire shot with not well applied Mothers dressing (it was early!)

Usage Notes
    Ease of application/removal:Quick application but need to be careful when spraying since the consistency varied so much. The net is the process seems very forgiving. I accidentally left one section on much longer and still was as easy or easier to remove.

Haze Time: It took at least 20 minutes to pass the swipe test

Scent: Pleasant but not anything I can pinpoint

Cleaning ability: None

Cost/use: Not determined how many applications per can but would not expect as many as a liquid wax just due to amount (11 oz), closer to spray waxes.

Slickness:Very good, similar to Midnight Sun paste (not super slick)

Durability Product states "lasts up to 6 weeks". Slickness dropped some after some rain over so I believe "up to 6 weeks" would be valid

OpticsDarkens paint (makes Tuxedo Black Metallic look nicely black instead of the typical grayish black), strong reflections, nothing special on depth or extra carnuaba like glow. Classy look. It reminds more of a how some sealants look compared to lighter looks of carnauabas like Max Wax, Fusion. It seemed to reach max shine quicker than what I usually experience.

Summary

Pro
    1. Very quick to apply, fairly easy wipe out even if overapplied
    2. Instant improved looks - Seems to achieve maximum shine quicker than typical waxes
    3. Good looks if you like blacker blacks.

Cons
    • Spray technique is critical with random blobs of wax despite shaking well.
    • Overspray on surfaces like glass where product is not desired. I am not a big fan of aerosols since product drifts.
    • Durability if you are thinking of using it standalone product. Best as a paste wax topper. I wonder how this compares to the Polymer Sealant.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review

another quick and easy product that has good results. i love using this over any of the bf sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Al!

Post Thanks / Like

I never liked the fact that this came in an aerosol. That steered me away from trying it.

Nice review Al!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Al. Do you have any idea why it`s in an aerosol spray can and not a spray bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Al! I`ve forgotten I have half a bottle of this stuff. May have to give it a try.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I never liked the fact that this came in an aerosol. That steered me away from trying it.

Nice review Al!
    x2....just can`t do aerosols......
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    Great review Al. Do you have any idea why it`s in an aerosol spray can and not a spray bottle?
    No idea. I did wonder if it was similar to the Polymer Spray.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Al.

The aerosol is a interesting way to apply it, but I am guessing it is the best way to get an even spray on coating without using an air gun like an automotive paint gun.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s undoubtedly a reflective shine.

Is the Blackfire product made by Blackfire or is it another product that is relabeled and distributed by PBMG? Sprayway Wax & Shine with a Blackfire label?

The MSDS appears to be identical. I hope I`m wrong because the price is $9 higher than Sprayway.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Al !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that you ordered this in error but Stoner`s Bead Max does the same thing for 1/2 the price. Just thought I`d throw that out there if someone wants to use an aerosol wax.

Your Lincoln looks fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

I got about three use`s out of my can of this. Looks great, but cost a lot for only 3 uses per can IMHO.
    I am living proof that Organ Donation Saves lives.
    3-25-11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    That`s undoubtedly a reflective shine.

Is the Blackfire product made by Blackfire or is it another product that is relabeled and distributed by PBMG? Sprayway Wax & Shine with a Blackfire label?

The MSDS appears to be identical. I hope I`m wrong because the price is $9 higher than Sprayway.
    I did look at the spray way msds sheet and I do not seem being identical. Also, other ingredients like the wax do not need to be listed so hard to tell.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

i won this awhile back. it is a very good spray wax. application can be a bit tricky. i found out to have no dusting, hit the panel with quick bursts, spread it out, and do no not let it sit. then buff with your mf towel.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information