Post Thanks / Like

3m`s 3 Step Paint Restore System vs Megs 83, 80, 82 and Tech Wax 2.0

This is my first review on here, so sorry if my pics or explanations suck lol. feel free to ask questions though. btw I got the 3m kit from advanced auto parts for $17.99, if you want the kit now is the time to get it from advanced while they last.

ok boys and girls as most of you have probably seen I picked up 3ms 3 step paint correction system. so I thought i`d post a review of it vs the 3 step Megs system I use.
    so the test went like this
    3m
    Cutting Compound
    Polish
    Synthetic Wax
    Megs
    Megs #83
    Megs #80
    Megs Synthetic 2.0
    **Megs #80 was also used on a 3rd section with the Megs listed above**
    also the PC 7424 was the polisher used for the job
    step 1 was to wet sand the whole hood with 2500 grit sand paper

you can see how bad the hood looks. I probably should have used 3000 to make my life easier but this was my first time really trying to correct wet sanding using the PC so lesson learned.
    this pic is because I switched up the panels after I used the Megs 83 on the left and right panels. I decided to put the Megs 83,82 next to the 3m. that way I could see them side by side. the left panel will be Megs 83, 80, and 82 instead.

now as I said I should have used 3000 grit instead of the 2500 I used. so I had to use the cutting pad 2x for both the 3m and Megs. here are the results after 2x cutting
    Megs

3m

ok this is the left panel with Megs 83, and 80 but before the 82

ok the next pics are pretty self explanatory because the have what I used on the panel

ok final pics

Megs 83,82 and wax

Megs 83, 80, 82 and wax

Light is in Megs 83, 82 and Tech Wax

Light is between the Megs 3 step and 3m 3 step where tape was

Light is in 3ms

Some final outside pics

so how did they look in person?
    well they all turned out pretty good. all took out most of the swirls and restored the shine. if I had to rate them it would go like this
    Megs 3 step (83, 82, Tech Wax) would be 3rd
    3ms 3 step would be 2nd
    Megs 4 step (83, 80, 82 Tech Wax) would be first
    Megs 3 step would be last because it did not remove as many swirls as the other 2.
    3m would be 2nd because it remove probably 40% more swirls then the Megs 3 step, but not as many as the Megs 4 step.
    overall I was very impressed with the 3m kit. I didn`t expect it to beat the Megs 3 step. but it did. its very very beginner friendly. not only does the text color of the bottle match the pad color, the polish/wax does as well. so the yellow pad get the yellow text with yellow polish. the blue pad gets the blue text with blue polish, and the white, well you get it.
    if your new at this the 3m kit is a excellent starting point for you. even at the full retail of $60 its well worth it. its a solid 3 step kit that will take out most imperfections, and oxidation. it really is a good kit. oh and its cheaper then the Megs kit that I have. if this kit had a med cutting polish like Megs 80, it would be as good if not better then my megs 4 step. I would highly recommend this kit to anyone starting out.
    but wait theres more!
    don`t forget the kit includes a scratch removing pad. so I had to try that out as well
    scratched the hood to the left in this pic, I had a really hard time getting it to show up in pics so sorry for that

took the 3m compound (yellow) and rubbed it in by hand in circular motion

took it right out. light is where scratch was

scratch was in right light in this pic.

the scratch remover was the most impressive part of the kit imo. did that by hand, really took it out right before my eyes with little effort. I might try to key the hood and see how that works. the scratches I removed was made from metal to metal contact and were not deep enough to remove the paint, but were deep enough to feel in the clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3m`s 3 Step Paint Restore System vs Megs 83, 80, 82 and Tech Wax 2.0

Thanks for the review, but I have to ask why are you using very outdated products? Meguiars released the next generation of polishes ie M105/M205 in 2007 if I remember correctly.

Recently released was M101 and M100 too.

Just seems as if the test would`ve been more applicable 10 years ago.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Post Thanks / Like

I use what I have is really the simple answer. though I would love to try the new Megs products, i`m not going to buy them until i`m out of the old. I do this more as a hobby then anything. don`t get me wrong though I have been eyeing Megs 105 for a while now, and when my 83 runs out, its probably what I will replace it with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Metallman56 View Post
    I use what I have is really the simple answer. though I would love to try the new Megs products, i`m not going to buy them until i`m out of the old. I do this more as a hobby then anything. don`t get me wrong though I have been eyeing Megs 105 for a while now, and when my 83 runs out, its probably what I will replace it with.
    Gotcha, totally makes sense

Btw, and
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Post Thanks / Like

thanks man

Thread Information