Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Some initial thoughts on the Rupes 21

So these are my initial thoughts on the Rupes 21 after about 1 hour behind it... I may or may not change my stance after more use. Also note that all of my findings are with the Kevin Brown Washer Mod.

First off, let`s discuss the hype. Let`s face it, the Rupes 21 has the most hype a machine has seen in quite a little while. When the new GG came out it was just a splash in the pond compared to the tidal wave of hype that the Rupes is.

I half believed that it would take only one pass of the mythical rupes to get a panel perfectly polished and LSP ready.

If you can read my tone and where I`m going with this, you will see that what I`m trying to say is this machine is great, but don`t believe that it is the end all be all of DA machines. It`s not magic, it still takes time and slow arm movement to achieve good results

Let`s now talk about the throw. The throw is certainly huge, and you can tell if you move from a Griot`s Garage or Porter Cable as I did. The pad seems to spin much further than you would imagine it to. This took a few moments to adjust to and then I got used to it. I have yet to do any tests (you know I like to do my tests), so I can`t comment on the efficacy of the bigger throw vs the smaller throw of other DA`s, but I`m sure it does help.

Let`s now talk about the vibrations. This is one of those things that people keep on and keep on bringing up. Rupes = no vibrations, rupes makes your hands feel better, rupes rubs you in all the right places while you rub your paint... ok I may have just made up that last one lol.

The fact is, yes, the hype on this vibration is true. The rupes vibrations are extremely minimal. One thing I found interesting is there is a heck of a lot more vibration at speed 1 than at higher speeds like 5 and 6. It seems like the rupes wants to go fast to be vibration free.

Let`s now talk about the pressure. That is another thing you won`t see a rupes comment without. "You can correct with a rupes 1 handed" and such and "with the rupes, you need no pressure to correct."

Is the hype here true? Yes and no in my opinion.

Yes because all that is needed to correct is very light pressure. You only need to put enough pressure for the pad to contact the panel firmly for it to correct. I would say the weight of your hand and use the tiniest amount of pressure on top.

No because I don`t think that I can correct a car using this with no pressure. I tried one handed and wasn`t really getting anywhere. As soon as I put on my hand and used the tiniest amount of pressure, the swirls were gone.

Now let`s talk about this backing plate. This is something I have yet to hear anyone say. The backing plate holds those pads like a freaking bear hug. It takes a huge amount of pulling to take pads of that backing plate. Maybe I`m just weak, I don`t know, but what I do know is that it was very hard to pull the pad off for me.

And now, let`s talk some Rupes polishes and pads. "What are the pads like, what are the polishes like?" This is a question a lot of people have and not many people answer. Well here`s my opinion on the YELLOW pad and polish and the GREEN pad and polish:

They`re nothing special.

Yup, they work, but the polish hates being overworked, makes it rather difficult to buff off. They dust when being buffed off, but not so much when you are working them in with the buffer.

They work, but I`ve used better. Hell, I would go so far as to say I`ve used MUCH better.

I have yet to try them in heat, so I imagine they would be even worse/more finicky in the sun. As someone who lives in Florida and can`t use a garage or canopy, this makes the polishes undesirable to me.

The pads are also fine, but nothing jumped out at me that made me think, "these pads are worth twice as much as the other ones I have laying around."

Let`s also discuss the Kevin Brown Washer Mod. I have only used it with it on, and tried to bog down the machine (I used a huge amount of pressure) on speed 1 on purpose. Let`s just say I got nowhere close to bogging down the machine. Can`t comment on anything else ie washer vs no washer, which is more effective? I have no idea, and probably won`t. The washer is there and I see no reason to take it out. Maybe, just maybe, for comparison purposes, but that`s the only reason I can tell.

So there you go, if you got through all of this, those are my initial thoughts.

Now here are some things that I will be testing in the future:

1) Rupes 21 with 5" bp on it and 5.5" microfiber/foam pads

2) Just about every polish I have

3) Correction speed vs my GG DA.

4) Optimal speed on Rupes for compounds and optimal speed for polishes (I switched
    between 4, 5, and 6 and couldn`t decide which I liked best)

5) Rupes blue pad and polish and white pad and polish.

Thanks for reading

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some initial thoughts on the Rupes 21

Thanks for the report. I have enjoyed my Rupes 15, It is also smooth and has the same really sticky velcro. I take care on how I grab the pads. I have not used it for correction yet.

Unlike most DA`s it has a smaller neck at the tail (like the Flex) you can easily hold one hand and I do like that for applying lsp`s on roofs. However the flex requires two hands so you can keep the pad flat against the paint otherwise it will tend to work against you somewhat.

I liked the Flex due to the lack of vibrations and like the Rupes for the same reason.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Roshan. Just bringing my RUPES into the garage is all it normally takes for me to get perfect results. Maybe yours is defective?

On a more serious note, try it with pads and products with which you are most familiar. See how they react.

As I tried to say, a lot depends on "style". The Flex did not match mine but the RUPES does. YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to your test results. As I have the GG 6" and have been tossing around the thought of going for the rupes this spring. Very Nice review!
    Lets GO FLYERS!!
    www.BarrenHillDetail.com

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review Roshan!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Wow Roshan. Just bringing my RUPES into the garage is all it normally takes for me to get perfect results. Maybe yours is defective?

On a more serious note, try it with pads and products with which you are most familiar. See how they react.

As I tried to say, a lot depends on "style". The Flex did not match mine but the RUPES does. YMMV.
    Well Mike you forgot to mention you have the entire ACC and AG store in that garage to back up your Rupes lol

Post Thanks / Like

I also do think the Flex is not the same as a DA.

In my uses of the Flex, I always felt polish was what you adjusted and not the pad (something less aggressive than a non-forced DA). I also like Todd`s method of reducing speed not pressure.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

man, I need your rupes. It`s clearly superior to mine

Heck, why don`t you go ahead and send both of yours over to me for "testing purposes."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

So just ordering one won`t remove swirls etc ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh well flex it is for now

Thanks again
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I really, really, really didn`t want to purchase another machine. No really.
    But after reading your review I`m VERY tempted to throw down some cash.
    I`m still on the fence & looking forward to your follow up with these items...

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro
    Now here are some things that I will be testing in the future:

1) Rupes 21 with 5" bp on it and 5.5" microfiber/foam pads

2) Just about every polish I have

3) Correction speed vs my GG DA.

4) Optimal speed on Rupes for compounds and optimal speed for polishes (I switched
    between 4, 5, and 6 and couldn`t decide which I liked best)

Post Thanks / Like

Good balanced review! I like how you are addressing the hype. I recall when the UDM came out on AG boards. It was touted as the dream PC killer.

Looking forward to your next review!

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Roshan. I am still on the fence on getting the 15 or the 21. Your input is a big help.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Great post and damn accurate
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Thanks for the review.

So just ordering one won`t remove swirls etc ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh well flex it is for now

Thanks again
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I really, really, really didn`t want to purchase another machine. No really.
    But after reading your review I`m VERY tempted to throw down some cash.
    I`m still on the fence & looking forward to your follow up with these items...
    What aspect makes you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    Good balanced review! I like how you are addressing the hype. I recall when the UDM came out on AG boards. It was touted as the dream PC killer.

Looking forward to your next review!
    Thanks for reading! As hyped up as it is, you would think that just saying the name three times would send all the swirls running away lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review Roshan. I am still on the fence on getting the 15 or the 21. Your input is a big help.
    Glad to help Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    Great post and damn accurate

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Very nice review!
    Thanks Todd!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast