Post Thanks / Like

Review: Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer

Product Name:
    Solution Finish Precision Trim Kit

First, I`d like to thank Todd for hosting the contest and the ability for me to try this product and give it the "once-around-the-block" testing.

Product Claims:
    Solution Finish is an incredible new product that restores originally black surfaces to a deep, rich, black "wet look" shine that dries quickly with no greasy residue.

This unique formula combines ancient ingredients with advanced polymer technology to provide a spectacular, long-lasting, glossy black, protective finish. Formulated for professional use only, Solution Finish is a silicone-free solution that uses all natural oils and is VOC compliant.

Solution Finish was developed by professionals for professionals – you won`t find this product on the wax walls in your local retail outlets. It is formulated using only the finest ingredients that you don`t usually find in mass-produced, OTC products. Professional detailers need the very best products that are fast, easy to use, and get outstanding results, and Solution Finish delivers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Y8RRU-7W4]Solution Finish "Bring The Black Back"[/ame]

Product Container:
    Enclosed in large plastic consumer display container. Although it was colorfully printed I`m really not a big fan of this type of packaging. The package is a bit on the large side and reminded me of a auto-parts store shelf product. It seemed ironic to me that a "developed by professionals for professionals" product comes in a consumer package. IMHO It could have come in a plain box (like Opti-Coat) and I would have actually been happier.. with a box, after you open the product you have a way to keep all the parts together.

Package

Solution Finish Precision Trim Kit Contents:
    1) 1 oz. Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer
    1) 4 oz. Surfactant Plastic & Trim Conditioner
    4) Latex Gloves
    2) Microfiber Applicators
    1) Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches
    1) Foam Applicator Brush

Contents

Product Labeling:
    The display container contains a colorful thick paper insert cover. Now the interesting part...I was unable to find any how-to instructions in the package or on the label. I found it odd that I have a product without any application instructions. A little web research and I found application instructions. (below)

Picture of back of packaging - Notice no instructions

Directions:
    Clean the desired area thoroughly with Surfactant. Wipe dry.
    Brush or wipe on Solution Finish in a thin coat.
    Allow product to penetrate for 1-2 minutes.
    Use a clean microfiber sponge or foam pad to buff off excess
    Be sure to wipe off glass and paint (will stain unsealed paint).

Product Application:
    I used the enclosed Surfactant on a microfiber applicator to clean the areas where I am going to apply the trim restorer. The Surfactant cleaner is a yellow color has a little lemon/lime smell. I shook it up and it created a fine soap like foam. Like other product applications this step cleans and prepares the application area.

Tape and clean left test area

After cleaning the surface, I put on the gloves and then poured a very small amount of the trim restorer on the foam applicator. I held the foam applicator over the microfiber pad while pouring. This way if there was a spill the MF pad would catch it. I taped off the test section and began wiping on the product. Application was easy and very similar to applying a dressing. Solution Finish trim restorer contains a black dye that can stain skin, clothes etc.. I found if you get some on the paint you can easily remove it right away with a microfiber towel. If it dries it`s a bit more stubborn to remove but the Surfactant helps.

Product Applied left side

After waiting a few minutes (I waited at least five) I went back over the area with a microfiber towel to remove any excess. At this point you are done. I found it to be very slightly tacky but dried completely a few minutes later.

Wipe down after application

Product Performance:
    I noticed Solution Finish trim restorer substationaly darken the trim right away but was also transparent. To me this means although it has black dye it is not a totally obscure black paint type product . After wiping off the excess product there was a dry shiny finish. If you are one that prefers a matte look there may be a way to obtain a matte finish with this product but I didn`t experiment enough to figure it out. For me the glossy shiny finish is fine. I like shiny things.

Test area comparison

Additional thoughts:
    OK, now the truth comes out...I know when reviewing a product you should not compare it to other similar products and prior experiences. Review each product like it`s your first time! Sadly, I was unable to come to this table with an empty slate. Like most folks here I have used multiple "Black Trim Restore" products and I have thrown away quite a few nasty trim products that only made things worse

My go-to was a black dye, dry to the touch coating type product that I can no longer find. It was finicky to apply. prone to streaking, applied like a paint but it worked and lasted a LONG time. Since I can no longer find it I have been looking for a replacement product .

When I undertook this review my first thoughts before even trying the product was "I`m not gonna like it." I was wrong. It applies easily like a dressing, darkens the trim and unlike a dressing is dry to the touch. In short so far it has worked as claimed. Now we`ll wait and see about durability and longevity.

Parting shots...
    Tailgate Handle

Before - click to enlarge

After - click to enlarge

Follow Up:
    After a few hours SF completely dried. At this point, it is now darker than it was, but not as dark as it was when SF was first applied.
    Also, the shine has reduced and it now has more of a matte finish than the glossy shine it had originally. That`s really not a bad thing.

Solution Finish Precision Trim Kit Product Price:
    $49.99 Retail

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer 1 oz.
    $29.99 Retail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer

side by side comparison makes a huge difference..like the outcome
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Merlin. Great review. If you can post your thoughts on durability please.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any pictures of after it dried completely and lost a little of the shine? Also, as far as application and amount goes. How much area do you think you could cover with one bottle. I know that it would be hard to give a good estimate because different vehicles have varying amounts of trim but just looking for a ballpark figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Looking good Merlin. Great review. If you can post your thoughts on durability please.
    Thanks I will. Let`s give it a bit to see how long it lasts & maybe wash it to see if it comes off easily.

Not being 100% satisfied with the darkness & the gloss I added a second coat after about 4 hours.

Here`s the current pics. It did darken it up more & put the shine back. Now let`s see if this coat lasts.

I`d guess at this point (even with the two coats) I have probably used 1/4 of the one ounce bottle.

I see now that Cory has posted a review also. He topped SF with C4 and OC and has better longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Merlin. Thanks for sharing.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!

I have a couple of bottles that have been waiting for appropriate cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. I`ll have to try a second coat the next time I use solution finish. I plan to try topping with OC like Corey also. On its own I got a couple of months of durability. The part I did isn`t as light as it was originally but it`s not black either.

I look forward to hearing how it holds up for you

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

My experience is the look is not like the original initially but it did seem to last little longer a than Ultima. It sure is messy to apply.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

A one month follow up...I am fairly impressed with the durability.
    SF appears to be holding up and the areas are still dark & shiny.

Merlin

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review. 50/50 shots truly show a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like

looks good merlin !

Thread Information