Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy`s Reviews: White Diamond Show Glaze/ EX-P Pure Sealant/ Natty`s Red Paste Wax

My poor Mazdaspeed 3 was in desperate need of some TLC. I had been itching to try some Poorboy`s products for a long time and these seemed like a perfect candidate.

You can read my reviews on top of the products used to prep the Mazdaspeed 3 here:

Poorboy`s Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner
    Poorboy`s Super Slick & Suds Auto Shampoo

Before applying any wax or sealant it is important to prepare the finish properly. Prior to this steps in write-up my Mazda was prepared as follows.

1. Poorboy`s Spray & Wheel Cleaner on wheels, tires and wheel wells.
    2. Poorboy`s Super Slick & Suds wash, two-bucket method using a..
    3. Micro-Chenille Plush Wash Mitt
    4. CarPro TR.IX paint decontamination spray
    5. Speedy Prep Surface decontamination towel

My original plan was to polish away any swirl marks (there weren`t/aren`t) many. The only real marks were deeper and would require aggressive polishing. Given the generally great condition of the paint (literally zero wash marring in the last year) I elected to try another approach and increase the gloss with Poorboy`s White Diamond Show Car Glaze. I would follow this with popular Poorboy`s combination of EX-P Paint Sealant and finally Poorboy`s Nattys Red Carnauba Wax.

• Poorboy`s World White Diamond Show Car Glaze- Poorboy`s World White Diamond Show Glaze for Light Vehicles is designed to visually reduce any light swirl marks and restore an even high-gloss shine to paint while increasing it`s visible wetness. Poorboy`s also makes a glaze for darker vehicles, BlackHole, although I felt that the color of my car (Velocity Red) would benefit from the White Diamond due to the high level of flake.
    • Poorboy`s World EX-P Pure Sealant- Poorboy`s World EP-X Pure Sealant has been a stable of Poorboy`s line up. It produces a long-lasting shine that offers tough environmental protection against the elements.

• Poorboy`s World Natty`s Red Paste Wax- Natty`s Red is one of three carnauba offerings from Poorboy`s. Designed to work well and create a high gloss look on all colors it seemed the perfect choice for my deeper red metallic car color.

On to the the quick write-ups:

Poorboy`s White Diamond Show Glaze for Light Vehicles

After drying and decontaminating my paint I noticed very paint imperfections. Absolutely nothing that warranted a deep paint correction. However the paint had lost a little pop since last being polished over a year ago, likely due to microscopic wash marring that wasn`t immediately visible. Application could not have been easier by machine.

I used a Griot`s Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital DA and a Lake Country Low Profile 5.5 Inch Flat Pad. Simply draw a thin ring of product around the outside, set the polisher on 4, and work in overlapping passes over a 3 x 3 section. Poorboy`s recommends polishing until you can see the shine through the product which only takes 1 or 2 passes.

I was able to complete the whole car in under 45 minutes.

The directions state to wait for the product to haze and wipe off. Hazing occurs quickly. I let it stand up to 45 minutes after hazing and wipe off remained a breeze.

White Diamond Show Glaze absolutely sharpened the reflections of the paint and made the already metallic-rich paint pop.

The front `smily-face` grill of the Speed3 is a single stage gray. As evidenced by the above picture, the combination of White Diamond Show Glaze and a white polishing pad did result in some paint transfer leading me to believe that product is mildly abrasive.

Poorboy`s Worlds EX-P Pure Sealant

The paint was looking rich after the treatment of White Diamond Show Glaze. Next was a follow up with EX-P Pure Sealant. I applied this using a Lake Country Low Profile 5.5 Inch Blue Finessing Pad on speed 3.

While a more detailed review is in the works (but will have to wait for durability testing) I was able to draw the following conclusions.

The directions state that the sealant can be used in the sun, but the product should be wiped off directly after application. (This is true of most sealants). For best results it is recommended to allow EX-P to cure for 30-60 minutes, which would be impossible for use in the sun. As a result I applied EX-P to the paint in the shelter of my garage.

EX-P requires a fair amount of product for even coverage compared to most paint sealants. A thin ring around the outside of the pad would cover about 1/8th of the car. No matter how much product was loaded on the pad it always left a very thin & even coat.

EX-P took about 15 minutes to fully haze and pass the swipe test. That said, I allowed it an additional 45 minutes before starting to wipe down, as according to the directions, this will result in optimal performance. Removal was done with an ultra-soft Deluxe Jr. 600 microfiber towel (the purple towel in the pictures).

Wipe off wasn`t difficult by any stretch, nor was it glide over the paint easy. Some areas required multiple wipes. The paint had a nice, slick feel and looked very nice. I waited 8 hours before topping with Poorboy`s World Natty`s Red Carnauba Paste.

Poorboy`s World Natty`s Red Carnauba Paste

Poorboy`s World offers three distinguished carnauba paste waxes in their "Natty`s" line up. All Natty`s waxes feature patented UV absorbers, premium carnauba ingredients, and can be applied and removed in direct sunlight. They offer subtle differences in application and performance. As a side note all three waxes smell AMAZING!

From left-to-right in the above picture.

Natty`s Red- Natty`s Red is latest edition to the line-up and the most expensive. It was built using the knowledge learned from the previous two waxes. It promises to create a deep, rich carnauba shine on all paint colors with out muting metallic flake. Given the deeper hue of the Mazda`s paint and the high level of silver and gold flake, it seemed to be the idea choice.

Natty`s "White"- Natty`s "White" as it is now called (the official name is Natty`s Paste Wax) was the original Poorboy`s World carnauba offering. It is made of many of the same ingredients as more expensive waxes at a a great price.

Natty`s Blue- Natty`s Blue Paste Wax uses the same base ingredients as Natty`s Paste but with more swirl hiding ability. This wax enhances dark paints and is particularly suited to solid cars like black, red, blue, etc. I have used this wax in the past, and while it may slightly dull metallic flake, nothing creates a `pool of depth` at a better price.

The Velocity Red Metallic on my Mazdaspeed 3 has a high level of flake, which had been sharpened by the White Diamond Show Glaze and EX-P. One of the concerns with applying a carnauba based wax is a pronounced "muting" of the metal flake as the carnauba wax trades reflective quality for the bending of light (creating the illusion of depth).

How would the highly rated Natty`s Red Paste Wax handle this. (A deep, rich color, with high levels of flake).

Application

One of the benefits of Natty`s Paste Waxes is their ability to be applied in direct sunlight. The temperature outside was 98 degrees and the surface temperature of my vehicle was approaching 150. I choose to apply Natty`s Red outside, int the sun, to test these claims.

Inserting your foam applicator into the wax and giving it a quick 1/4 to 1/2 turn loads plenty of product onto the paint. From there apply in straight lines or tiny circles to ensure even coverage.

Poorboy`s advises to allow Natty`s to cure (haze) prior to wipe off. I found that the product stays `wet` on the paint and offers considerable play time. I was able to cover a section in tiny circles and them come back in straight lines to to smooth over any high spots, even with the extreme temperatures!

Application was butter smooth and very little product went a very long way (opposite of EX-P in this case). Here is a picture of a thin coat of Natty`s Red hazing on the paint. To add more torture to the test, I allowed the product to stand on the paint after hazing for an additional 30 minutes in the direct Florida sun.

The other thing that stood out to me (above picture) is how LITTLE was needed to cover the entire Mazda. This is a picture (above) after coating the entire car. Very little is needed to ensure even coverage and very little goes an exceptionally long way, adding even more value to the excellent price on this product.

Removal

I have mixed thoughts on the removal of Natty`s Red. Removing the haze was quite simple. A single swipe of the ultra-soft Deluxe Jr. 600 microfiber was all that was needed to remove the visible haze, although some light product smearing was visible. I am not sure if this was due to the torture of letting it sit in the sun in the extreme heat or not (the paint was so hot at this point that I could feel the microfiber heating up under my hand).

Flipping the towel over and re-buffing the area (in some cases this took some time and patience) eventually resulted in a smear free shine that looked incredible.

Note: I only point on the "light" streaking/smearing due to the fact I am being critical (as you guys expect). HOWEVER, I do not look at this as a negative given the absolutely torturous temperatures and the fact that the residual haze wiped away with ZERO dusting and difficulty. All the streaking wax EXTREMELY light (most would never notice it) and was able to be resolved without the use of water or supplemental agents to clean it.

Even attempts at catching the streaking on camera failed (below picture).

Final Pictures

The following pictures were taken after treatment with all three products. A quick review of how each product affected the finish is below.

Poorboy`s World White Diamond Show Glaze- This product sharpened the flake and created a visibly wetter surface on paint that was in very good condition. For paint in worse condition the total result would be the same but the difference would likely be more dramatic. The fact that I could notice the improvement on this paint speaks volumes about this product, IMO.

Poorboy`s World EX-P Pure Sealant- I didn`t notice much (if any) in the quality of shine when used on top of White Diamond Show Glaze, although this didn`t surprise me and is no knock on the product. I am sure on less prepared paint there would have been a more noticeable difference.

Poorboy`s Natty`s Red Paste Wax- Natty`s Red absolutely added a glassy, wet, deep finish to the paint. When used on top of White Diamond Show Glaze and EX-P the result was a liquid wet finish that sharpened the metal flake and created high-contrast reflections.

On to the pictures-

The sharpness and clarity of the reflections is on full display in the following picture, taken with a fast shutter speed...

The wet, glass-like, high contrast reflections were visible, even on red in the bright sun.

No shortage of metal flake.

The combination of all three products created a visibly swirl free finish.

Last three photograph`s.

Conclusion:

These three products from Poorboy`s World did an excellent job on this particular paint hue, bringing out the flake, full-range of color, and brightness of reflection. With the exception of White Diamond, each had slight application `quirks` that were easy to solve. Not much money, but what a shine!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboy`s Reviews: White Diamond Show Glaze/ EX-P Pure Sealant/ Natty`s Red Paste Wax

Looks very good!
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Todd. Nattys Red has always been one of my favorites.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboy`s Reviews: White Diamond Show Glaze/ EX-P Pure Sealant/ Natty`s Red Paste Wax

Thanks Todd for the great reviews!!

Post Thanks / Like

That photo makes me want to get a red car.

Great work Todd!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, that`s a good looking GenPu!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet looking Mazda there Todd. Glad you like the PBs line. Looks like it worked well for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting the review. Your description of the 3 waxes (red, white, and blue) explains more than I had read elsewhere on the difference. I do like the metallic red color.

Al
    The Need to Bead

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the review on the White Diamond Todd.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Todd your car looks great!

I have only used my Natty Red once so far. It is simple and easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up Todd. I used PB sealant for the first time last week on a silver full size truck and also felt as though I used quite a bit of product compared to other sealants. Seeing that you came to the same conclusion in your testing is reassuring to me in my application was proper. I was also happy with results the sealant produced, my only variation to yours is I topped it with Liquid Natty`s Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Todd. Poorboy`s products are reasonably priced and perform exceedingly well. I have both glazes and Natty`s Red.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice writeup Todd and another example what PoorBoy`s products bring to the game!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post
    Looks very good!
    Thank you! I was very happy with how the results of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Looking good Todd. Nattys Red has always been one of my favorites.
    I can see why Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Thanks Todd for the great reviews!!
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by AutopiaTech View Post

That photo makes me want to get a red car.

Great work Todd!
    Not black?!

Quote Originally Posted by triplejumper18 View Post
    Dang, that`s a good looking GenPu!
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Sweet looking Mazda there Todd. Glad you like the PBs line. Looks like it worked well for you.
    Thanks. Worked very well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Thanks for posting the review. Your description of the 3 waxes (red, white, and blue) explains more than I had read elsewhere on the difference. I do like the metallic red color.
    The color is what sold me on the car, not the other way around. Thanks for the comments Al!

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Thank you for the review on the White Diamond Todd.
    Thanks Angelo!

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Todd your car looks great!

I have only used my Natty Red once so far. It is simple and easy to use.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Nice write up Todd. I used PB sealant for the first time last week on a silver full size truck and also felt as though I used quite a bit of product compared to other sealants. Seeing that you came to the same conclusion in your testing is reassuring to me in my application was proper. I was also happy with results the sealant produced, my only variation to yours is I topped it with Liquid Natty`s Blue.
    EX-P didn`t go as far as some products I am used to, but no matter how much was on the pad, it left a perfect, thin coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    Excellent review Todd. Poorboy`s products are reasonably priced and perform exceedingly well. I have both glazes and Natty`s Red.
    I agreed with your assessment Paul!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Poorboy`s Reviews: White Diamond Show Glaze/ EX-P Pure Sealant/ Natty`s Red Paste Wax

Gloooowwwwiiiinggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information