Ultima: "Clearly Different"! What makes it so?

Many detailing products are quite similar. I`m sure you know what I mean. You`re looking for something better so you buy another sealant, trim, interior, car shampoo, or waterless wash product.... whatever it may be. Well, there are 3 particular companies that come to mind off the top of my head that are truly innovative. This is a story about one of them. When you see the words "Clearly Different" on a bottle of Ultima you might wonder, "How is it clearly different?"

Well, if you have used any of their products you already know that the results alone are clearly different but we will get back to that in a bit. First we will get into some details that you`ve probably never heard of that explain whets going on behind the scenes of this amazing line. After that I`ll give you a few examples of what I find special about the function and results of each product in particular.

We see companies talk about how they are "Eco Friendly" or some that use "Nano-technology" or some other special claim right? This is for good reason with most of them. If they are putting in the effort they should make mention to the consumers about what they are selling. Well, I don`t ever recall Ultima making these claims in the past. Maybe that`s because they have been so focused on engineering incredible products they don`t have time for the chatter.

While I was at Detail Fest this year I was fortunate enough to spend some time at the Ultima booth. This year Rick and Sam had some billboards and pamphlets with information about the Ultima line. What I found particularly interesting was the info about the ingredients they use and the fact they had added an Eco friendly sticker to their packaging. We began discussing a few things, some of which I`ll share here.

This is Rick and Sam at Detail Fest 2012

Eco-Friendly:

As we talked I asked about the Eco-Friendly label that had been added. Rick explained to me that Premium Finish Care uses V.O.C. FREE SYNTHETIC petroleum distillates which is SAFE for all surfaces. I asked him, "How is that different with regards to the environment to which he explained a few things and also told me a very interesting story.

During the time of the BP oil spill here in the gulf, Ultima came into somewhat of a problem. In an effort to dissolve the oil and follow EPA regs the crews were using the very same synthetic distillate that Ultima uses! This in turn meant it was suddenly in short supply and near impossible to obtain.

However, there’s a lot more to the eco-friendly nature of Ultima beyond the fact they don`t use VOC petroleum distillates, fragrances, fillers, and other nonsense. Their sealants are wipe on and walk away so obviously nothing is wasted or wiped off and then washed into the ground water. Furthermore UTTG doesn`t run onto the ground when it rains and contaminate the ground water. Obviously the fact the products last for many months is in itself another benefit to not only us but also the environment.

Nano-technology:

Let me tell you another little story that took place last year (2011). A friend of mine called me up with a question about UTTG. I don`t recall what it was but I remember after answering his question I told him, "Hold on, let me consult the Ultima Users Guide to see if they say anything about this." The Ultima Users guide was just a small booklet that I picked up at Detail Fest a few years ago that had a couple pages about each product in the line. Anyway, I`m reading the two pages on UTTG out loud to my buddy when I come across the sentence.... "Ultima Trim & Tire Guard is a hyper-concentrated new polymer nano coating ....." This prompted me to closely read the rest of my guide. On the first page I found this... "The Ultima Finish Care product line is the first to use highly advanced nanotechnology to coat and protect all surfaces of your vehicle."

Mind you, when I was reading this it was a couple years after the release of different coatings, polishes, and products that proudly exclaim their use of nano technology. I had never and haven`t heard since anyone ever say this about UTTG but it all made sense! In my Mythbuster article and many others I showed how extremely durable this product really is. Now I was curious. When was this booklet published? A quick check on the back showed 2007!

Sprayable Polish:

This product is not in the Ultima line but the Four Star line. I only make mention of it because it is another example of a fine product made by Premium Finish Care that never received the praise and attention it deserved. It came out before any other sprayable polish that I`m aware of. My good friend Jim was the one that was telling me about it when we were discussing how great and innovative PFC`s products are and how the public is unaware of just how many innovations and differences they can boast about their products.

Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System:

Ultima was the first to offer a replacement for aggressive claying. Before the magna sponge or nano skin or whatever the newest imitation or evolution is being called Ultima brought the Elastrofoam re-useable paint cleaning system to the market. This is the only product from Ultima that I have not yet used but again it`s a great example of something Ultima brought to our market first.

Pricing:

Some of the Ultima products appear pricey when looked at on a per ounce basis. But take a closer look and you`ll find that they are actually less expensive than most others per application. If it takes less than a 1/4 oz of Ultima but an ounce of a competing product then the competing product would have to be 4x cheaper per ounce in order to compete with the cost of the Ultima product. That is before you even factor in the durability of a product like UTTG which lasts much longer than almost any other trim product. It certainly lasts much longer than any product that is cheaper per oz.

The reason it takes so much less of an Ultima WOWA product is because they are not watered down. So in a bottle of Ultima Sealant you have far more of the active ingredient than you do in a traditional product that is most certainly watered down and has fragrances and all manner of other non-functional ingredients. An application of Ultima Paint Guard Plus for instance leaves every bit (100%) of the Polycharger polymer on the paint.

If you ever poured a sample of any of the three Ultima sealants for someone you would see they are all clear and have no color to them. Ultima doesn`t waste any room in the bottle with die, water, emulsifiers, powders, or silicones. They are indeed "Clearly Different".

-Ultima Products and a few thoughts on each-

Ultima Paint Guard Plus:

10-15 times more concentrated than any other creme or paste wax available, this wipe on and walk away sealant not only yields the slickest and glossiest finish around but it takes less than a 1/4 of an ounce per car. Because you buff nothing off, all of the protection and polymers are utilized. There is NO WASTE! Furthermore you need ONLY 45 minutes (compared to 12 hours with most sealants) to apply an additional coat. And with UPGP they do indeed layer upon each other.

Ultima Trim &Tire Guard:

An extremely versatile, long lasting, and tough as nails product, UTTG can be used on wheels, chrome, tires, & trim. The name may say trim and tire guard but it is actually a wheel, trim, and tire guard. And when I say trim I don`t only mean plastic. Like I said, every part of a wheel, chrome, metal, stainless steel exhaust tips, and plastic trim can be protected with UTTG. It withstands temperatures over 500 F which means it will withstand most any exhaust tip and if you hit 600 F on some surface it leaves no stain if it burns off. You won`t find a better all around product for trim in my opinion.

For plastic, tires, and porous surfaces wipe on and walk away. Additional coats can be applied after only 10 minutes for a higher shine if you like.

For wheels, chrome, and non-porous surfaces wipe on thin, wait a bit (I go with 10-20 minutes) and wipe off.

In my experience for non-porous rubber like many window seals you can wipe on extremely thin and then whenever you feel like it wipe off whether it be 10 minutes or 5 days later.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus:

From dedicated leather products that are usually pointless on finished leather to products that leave anything from a completely matte finish to a high gloss finish... There is no shortage of products to dress your interior with...

However, there is NO other product like UIGP. It not only seals the interior surfaces from sweat, water, dirt, and other soiling like no other product on the market. UIGP also leaves a like new finish to every single material in your cockpit including the carpets and mats. Everything except glass... It`s not glossy and greasy and it softens all surfaces leaving a tactile feel that is hard to describe. I often find myself "petting" the door panel when sitting at red lights. :laughing:

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel:

At $12.99 a bottle this is a fair deal. This cleaner can be safely used on leather, vinyl, plastic, fabric, carpet, and all manner of interior trim. Ignore the words shampoo and gel as this product does not need to be rinsed and is not quite a gel. It is however thicker than water and just the right viscosity to allow it to stay active longer.

I love UISG and it`s all I use to clean my Sky. It does not strip the natural finish that is found in plastics but it will remove soiling. It doesn`t take much product and doesn`t leave fruity smells that mask the clean smell of my car. It simply leaves a clean scent. It also works very well on cleaning the scuffs off rubber floor mats.

On vinyl and leather spray it directly onto your towel or cleaning sponge and go from there.

Ultima Paint Guard Wash:

UPGW is quite simply my go to car wash. With the combined level of cleaning ability, lubricity, and price, no other wash beats this product in my opinion. Even most "cheap" shampoos end up more costly than UPGW per application. At about 0.50 per 5 gallon bucket of wash you just can`t beat it. Catch it on bogo and your talking a quarter per!

Ultima Waterless Wash:

The best waterless wash I`ve used, this product is offered at a price nobody could ever ignore. 20$ for nearly 6 gallons?? Buy the bottle of concentrate and that`s what you end up with. The water might cost more than the product! For you waterless washers you won`t find a safer product. My buddy Jim uses it as a pre-soak before his ONR sessions.

I use it on the front end of my Sky after every drive to remove bugs. I also use it often on door jambs, under the hood, the lid, and even the interior of many cars. For bugs just spray it on and let it sit a minute before wiping off. The way it loosens them up is shocking, especially for such an lsp safe product. Slickness, gloss, lubricity, price... and by the way the smell is seriously addictive. You`ve been warned!

Ultima Paint Prep Plus:

This product is an excellent paint cleaner that you`ll find leaves an ultra high gloss shine. It also leaves a primer agent behind for UPGP to bond with for increased durability.

Q&A with Rick Vaal of Ultima

Rick, I have a few questions for you I would like to add onto an article I`m writing about the Ultima line.

1Q.-How much durability do the bonding agents in UPPP add to UPGP?

1A.-The UPPP is designed to properly clean the surface and contains a trade secret additive that works to make the Polycharger react and bond to the surface. I do not disclose that product and it`s not required to put on MSDS because it`s non hazardous. I have to keep some secrets!!! Most pre-wax cleansers I have found contain either silicones or heavy oils that not only fill or hide but also prevent polymers or waxes to properly bond.

2Q.-Does Ultima Interior Guard Plus use the same VOC free synthetic distillates as UTTG and UPGP?

2A.-Yes

3Q.-Does Ultima Paint Guard Wash contain any gloss enhancers or any Polycharger?

3A.-No, it does not. But, very concentrated and mild formula and will not remove a quality sealant. I am working on a Polycharged version, but its still in the test stage.

4Q.-Does cold weather (say 25 F) or hot (say 95F) take a larger toll on sealants? Assume the vehicle is outside 24/7. (Note: after receiving Ricks answer I realize I didn’t really ask what I was attempting to ask here)

4A.-Of course a vehicle stored outside 24/7 will need to be treated much sooner than a garaged. Our friendly Sun can take its toll on a finish. Cold weather can reduce bonding time and if not fully cured and then washed or driven in rain/snow could result in a reduced life of protection.

5Q.-I receive one question in particular every so often. They ask should I feel safe using something that is petroleum based. Is it the VOC free synthetic distillates you use that are safer than the distillates used by other companies or is it much more detailed than that?

5A.-Yes, basically it’s the refining process that takes all the VOC`s out of the product we use that makes it safe. Its very expensive and hard to emulsify into water based formulas so most companies do not use it and choose to use economical petroleum products instead. I won’t say all do, but a high percentile of manufacturers do and these most certainly will damage a finish over a period of time. If you were to take the straight petroleum distillate some use and apply to your skin and allow evaporating your skin will be dried out. During evaporation, moisture is taken from your skin. Well, clear coats are very delegate these days and the same would happen to it over a period of time. I am sure you have seen from time to time a vehicle that has a stain below or around the gas fill cap where someone has over filled his or her tank. Well, gas is a petroleum and stronger than some used in formulas, but not as much as you may think. Just damages quicker. A surface which has gasoline wiped on will look shinny for a short period of time but as it fully evaporates it takes the moisture with it, damages the clear and looks dried out and faded.

Thanks again from all of us to Rick for taking the time to answer my questions and to Rick & Sam for all the effort you guys put into Premium Finish Care products.

One last mention! The 350Z you see on all those Ultima bottles!! That’s our buddy Pats car in the picture! I know any of you that have had the pleasure of meeting Pat think that’s just as cool as I do!