Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Glaze"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Glaze"

I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW there is a lot of good info here. I have always thought that the term "Glaze" should be for a true filler glaze with no cut and that anything with a cut should be a polish. But that is not how it works. At this point I would be just be happy if you could clearly distinguish what each product was and did.

Truth & Honesty in Labeling... FTW

Post Thanks / Like

wow, good info.

is an acrylic glaze the same as a polymer-based glaze?

I have black hole, amigo, and blacklight and wonder now if they are all essentially the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    WOW there is a lot of good info here. I have always thought that the term "Glaze" should be for a true filler glaze with no cut and that anything with a cut should be a polish. But that is not how it works. At this point I would be just be happy if you could clearly distinguish what each product was and did.

Truth & Honesty in Labeling... FTW
    That`s the interesting thing about Glazes and product names in general. The overwhelming majority of glazes (and polishing relating products) are sold to the body shop industry, we (detailers, enthusiasts) make up a very very small fraction of the market. So what we may view as incorrect terminology is quite acceptable by the mass market.

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    wow, good info.

is an acrylic glaze the same as a polymer-based glaze?

I have black hole, amigo, and blacklight and wonder now if they are all essentially the same thing?
    I would say that no, even though `glazes` or `sealants` my use the same base (polymers, acrylic polymers, oil based) the exact ingredients and they way they are made is unique.

A bigger question is if something is an acyrlic (or polymer) glaze, which features cross linking (which it would) then why is it defined as a glaze and not as a sealant?

If the polymers are cross linking (which they must to be effective) then they are offering a sacrificial barrier which (even if not by design) offers some protection for the paint. At what point does it stop being a `glaze` and start being a sealant? Just food for thought....

Post Thanks / Like

Glaze is starting to sound like a `catch all` category for intermediate products of mixed identities...
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: "Glaze"

Many people actually believe the "glaze" is the ultimate product for show cars only....
    great threat....

Post Thanks / Like

Good info here, this is also like the confusion with the new term ""nano tech" with "acrylic polymers" that cross linked each to create a "pure" coat of sealed protection.

Or i guess too much saturated info over the internet without actually having to personally try each those products confuses someone newb like me. Sometimes the name actually didnt include the word "glaze" but the description actually indicates "glazing" the surface for "superior shine" of the paint.....

Ive read mike phillips definitions of terms and i think glaze falls between final polish to LSP. I could be wrong tho. Thats why I am very thankful for being part of forums like these that help feed my ignorance(and others) on detailing world --products.

Post Thanks / Like

so I used black hole, then natty`s blue the other day on my trunk lid to see if it would hide some light marring. Not sure if someone rested something on the lid but there are a bunch of marks on one isolated spot only that is visible only at a certain angle.

I let the BH haze, then put the natty`s right over it. Once that hazed, I wiped both off. Didn`t hide a thing. Do you think the swirls were too minor to be filled? I used a foam pad by hand but people say BH really makes a difference by machine.

Didn`t feel like busting out the GG6 and messing up a black pad just to do the lid though.

thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    so I used black hole, then natty`s blue the other day on my trunk lid to see if it would hide some light marring. Not sure if someone rested something on the lid but there are a bunch of marks on one isolated spot only that is visible only at a certain angle.

I let the BH haze, then put the natty`s right over it. Once that hazed, I wiped both off. Didn`t hide a thing. Do you think the swirls were too minor to be filled? I used a foam pad by hand but people say BH really makes a difference by machine.

Didn`t feel like busting out the GG6 and messing up a black pad just to do the lid though.

thoughts?

Good question. Old school glazes usually featured some type of oil and solid product (usually kaolin clay) which would lay in the swirl marks and help hide them. There was little benefit to applying with a machine (perhaps time savings).

However, with newer glazes, they may be engineered to product better results when applied with friction.

Also it is usually the minor swirl marks that a glaze will hide, while leaving the deeper ones behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, wouldn`t it be the other way around?

If swirls are deeper, then the "fillers" would be able to get down into the swirl to fill it, rather than be pulled out of shallower swirls by the normal action of wiping the product off?

I dunno, I look at it like patching drywall. Sometimes, you have to make a small gouge larger so the drywall compound has more of a surface to grip, or it won`t bond as well to the original surface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information