Post Thanks / Like

Review: Chemical Guys Diablo

Review: Chemical Guys Diablo

Introduction:

I realize this may be out of place with all of the new formula BF reviews showing up but I wasn`t one of the lucky ones chosen to receive the pre-release products so you`ll be forced to read another CG review. Blame Todd.

I enjoy watching "Wheeler Dealers" - a British TV show where Mike finds & buys older interesting cars and Edd fixes them up to sell later in the show. Mike calls wheels the "shop window of the car." Being a detailer, I believe the hood/bonnet is. In any event, clean wheels really set off a good looking car. Naturally, I have a bunch of different wheel cleaners.

Thanks to Corey again for providing the format.

Product Claims:

From ACC website -

"Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner Gel

Highly concentrated gel formula.
    Safe on all wheel finishes.
    Biodegradable.

The first product ever that uses Concentrated Suspension Technology to lift break dust, dirt and contamination away from wheels and rims without hard rubbing and scrubbing that can scratch and damage surface.

Just open the cap and take a whiff! It smells amazing! No strong caustic smell, acid smell or chemicals! Biodegradable and environmentally responsible Chemical Guys Diablo Gel is 100% ph NEUTRAL and safe for ALL WHEEL FINISHES. If you haven’t noticed already by looking inside the bottle Diablo Gels Suspension technology is Oxygen-Rich infused. Concentrated Suspension technology encapsulated dirt particles and rapidly lifts them away from the paint suspending them in a pH neutral slippery gelatin that easily rinses of wheels leaving spot free results.

SAFE FOR ALL WHEELS, non-acid based, non-caustic based, water-based extra slippery gel that safely cleans all wheels painted, clear-coated, polished, chrome or anodized wheels. 100% pH balanced and neutral so it`s safe for delicate wheels. A single glance at Diablo Wheel Gel clearly shows how it holds the oxygen pockets inside of the products. Diablo Wheel Gel unique Extra-Slippery formulation lifts break dust, dirt and contaminates away from any surface holding it in complete suspension so it can be safely rinsed off without staining any surface. Premium natural fragrance and 100% biodegradable composition.

Diablo Gel is the only ph neutral wheel cleaner safe enough to use on any and all OEM, after market wheels, painted and powder coated wheels, chrome, carbon fiber lips, decal wrapped wheels and lips and virtually all painted surfaces.

The unique and unmatched gel consistency of Diablo enables it to stick to grime and break dust filled wheels rapidly and efficiently loosen and lifting contaminants in suspension where they can be safely rinsed away from the surface leaving wheels and tires spotless.

Diablo Gel Wheel & Rim Cleaner can be applied with a brush or sprayed on. Always dilute according to needs. For regular cleaning, dilute 1 part product to 6 parts water. For easy measurements in any bottles pour 1 inch Diablo and the rest of the bottle fill with water. For heavy duty cleaning Diablo can be left more concentrated 1:4 or 1:6. One 16 oz bottle can make as many as 6 bottles of ready to use Diablo Gel."

Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner Gel

Product

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle with squirt top
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: Moderately thick
    4.- Color: Translucent red
    5.- Scent: Strawberry
    6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 16.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Chemical Guys
    9.- Made in: California

Other Products Used:

Spray bottle
    Brushes and grout sponge
    Bucket with water
    Power washer

Preparation:

I`ve used it at 6:1 and 4:1. Use at 4:1 or even 3:1.

Application:

Spray on (cool) wheels. Wait a minimum of 5 minutes - longer is better. Agitate with brushes/sponge and rinse with pressure washer. Rinse the brushes and sponge in bucket. A pressure washer isn`t necessarily required but I have one so I use it.

I have also "rinsed" without the pressure washer using a rinseless wash and MF.

Observations:

Very nice, light fragrance. Left for a while (not necessarily worrying about it drying), it does a pretty good job of cleaning - even without agitating. Does much better with agitation. 6:1 doesn`t cling well, 4:1 is better. A foaming sprayer is even better.

No photos yet. I`ll try to post some over the weekend. AutopiaTech might have some, though.

Does it meet its claims? Well....

Comparisons:

Let me start with this - no wheel cleaner I`ve used completely cleans wheels to my satisfaction. If you think yours does, after you clean them, dry them with air (e.g., with a MetroVac), spray on some waterless (Eco Touch is the strongest I`ve found) and wipe the face with a Viva or light colored MF. If yours comes clean, you are better than me and please let me know what you are using. Maybe I just get really bad cars. I`ve commented on clientele`s wheel cleaning habits on other threads.

Sonax FE is a really good wheel cleaner. The color change is neat to watch. The awful smell makes me watch the color change holding my nose. Rather expensive.

Griot`s Heavy Duty also has the neat color change but smells better (strong, lingering cherry). Cleans well, too. Less expensive than Sonax.

CG Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner cleans effectively and has a pleasant orange smell. Very, very cost effective at 5:1 dilution (from gallon, in RTU dillution = $0.045/oz!). No color change.

Muc Off Frequent Use cleans OK and is reasonably priced. It differs from the above in that it is not pH balanced but says is safe for frequent use.

(Other premiums I have but haven`t yet tried are P21S Gel, Dodo Juice Supernatural and Poorboy`s Spray & Rinse - saving this one for particularly bad customer wheels.)

The best of the OTC I`ve tried is Eagle One A2Z. It says it is safe for all wheels but somehow wouldn`t trust it on really expensive wheels, especially with painted calipers behind. Great on tires for stripping dressing and quite cheap.

I`ve also used a variety of APCs. They work to some degree but generally require more work on my part. Also a bit reluctant to use on expensive wheels.

I`ve also found that if one didn`t get the brake dust off, after rinsing hit it with a different one. Seems that certain cleaners clean certain kinds of crud better than others. It doesn`t seem to matter which one you use first either. Caveat - it is a bit disillusioning to use Sonax or Griot`s HD after Diablo or CG SGCWC and not see a color change. Just sayin`.

Pros:

1.- Cleans well
    2.- Cost effective ($0.265/oz - 16oz size @ 4:1)
    3.- Pleasant smell
    4.- Easy to use.

Cons:

1.- Doesn`t clean as well as I dream of.

Final Observations and Summary:

So is Diablo better than the wheel cleaners in the Comparison section? IDK. They all get almost all of the brake dust off (some a bit more than others) but leave a bit on. (The better the agitation, the cleaner the wheel with all of them.) None works so well that I only want to use it. And if they all clean reasonably well, all require agitation and all leave that little something behind to get with my waterless, I have to fall back on cost effectiveness. Of the ones I believe are safe for all wheels, the CG products win handily (by order(s) of magnitude). Want to guess which I have a gallon of?

This is one of the kinds of product and review that I think will garner disagreements. Oh well....

I do have high hopes for the new formula BF product, though.

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Chemical Guys Diablo

Thanks for a very informative and honest review. Seems wheel cleaners are like polishing products no one product for every situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another outstanding review. Sounds like this one could be a little stronger.

Post Thanks / Like

Another stellar review!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Mike !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again!

People seem to either love or hate Diablo, I love it as I find it to clean well and be very economical. It also safe for all wheels. IMO you need 2 wheel cleaners, this one and Megs WB for the nasty wheels.

I add water to Diablo until its just thick enough to stick, I know very scientific!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    Thanks again!

People seem to either love or hate Diablo, I love it as I find it to clean well and be very economical. It also safe for all wheels.
    I have not used it but see the love or hate disposition. I think some want a product that always works on any wheel rather than using the lesser aggressive method since time can be money to do it again.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I was never really impressed with it personally but thats just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Another nice review.

I find it interesting that so many either love it or hate it. It is dilutable and that should help to make it more universally liked.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the dwell is more important with Diablo than with other like products. The first couple of times I used it, I only did the 1 min dwells and, yeah, it is pretty marginal that way. Then one day let it sit for 30 min and it left the wheel nearly clean without agitation. My buddy uses it touchless that way. It must be said his standards are a bit lower than ours.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mjlinane;419998 Then one day let it sit for 30 min and it left the wheel nearly clean without agitation. My buddy uses it touchless that way. It must be said his standards are a bit lower than ours.[/QUOTE]

Ha. 30 minutes...

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Adding pics.

Before - actually dirtier than it looks - particularly the barrels.

Before with finger wipe (8 o`clock)

Working

After - really, really clean.

I probably let it sit for 10-15 min (time to do 2 wheels with CG SGCWC) and the brake dust just slid off with really light agitation with sponge and GG MF Wands.

I was comparing Diablo with SGCWC again and they are very different cleaners. Because of the required dwell, Diablo goes a bit slower. SGCWC is a spray on, 15-30 sec dwell, agitate and spray off. I believe SGCWC has a very slight advantage in cleaning ability and Diablo is a little "easier".

Thread Information