Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Chemical Guys Honey Dew Snow Foam

Review: Chemical Guys Honey Dew Snow Foam

Introduction:

Before the Great Drought of `11, I was going through car wash shampoos pretty quickly. I had used OTC shampoos and Zaino a long time ago but, when I started using a foam gun and then a foam cannon, wanted something better. So my collection of car wash shampoos started growing. I had tried several of the CG shampoos and liked them so decided to start buying by the gallon when CG HDSF was released with a really nice price. So a gallon went into the cart (along with a gallon of CG CWC).

Then the politicians declared drought restrictions....

Thanks to Corey again for providing the format.

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site -

"Super Concentrated Soap Designed for Maximum Foam!
    Dilutes 1:1100
    Produces mounds of suds.
    pH-balanced formula will not strip wax.

The first Hyper-Foaming Snow Foam Carwash that embraces the uniqueness of the Honeydew by combining it with a little Chemical Guys Cleaning Chemistry.

The unmatched hyper-foaming agents combined with Chemical Guys lubricating agents in Honeydew Snow Foam deliver a truly unmatched super high foaming auto wash that rinses clean delivering a high-shine slick finish.

Chemical Guys Super-Premium Honeydew Snow-Foam is engineered to create millions of tiny close-grouping cleaning bubbles. It can be used as a traditional soap and diluted in a bucket or used with a Foam Gun, Foam Lance, or Foam Washer to maximize foam coverage to deliver a thick rich blanket of surface caning snow foam.

The unique parts per million (PPM) formulation of this emulsion delivers a gradual variety of millions of cleaning bubbles that once foamed onto a surface work fast at lifting abrasive contaminants away from your paints delicate surface. Airborne dust, dirt and grime is encapsulated within the unique hyper-foam emulsion and removed with a sharp jet of water reducing the friction and scratches generally produced by contact washing.

Chemical Guys’ Honeydew Snow Foam is a hyper-concentrate. It can dilute up to 1:1100 with water (or approximately 1 cap full with 5 gallons of water). Dilute according to desired needs when using foam lance, foam gun, foam blaster, or hose attached foaming apparatus.

Honeydew Snow Foam Car Shampoo is developed to be safe on all vehicle surfaces including paint, rubber, vinyl, glass and plastics. It can also be used on gel coat finishes as well as boats, RV’s and jet skis. Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow for is free of all CFCs and solvents and like all Chemical Guys Soaps, it is fully biodegradable. We developed it with Mother Earth in mind so Honeydew Snow Foam meets all VOC regulations."

I`m not sure how "caning" relates but assume they meant "cleaning".

Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam

Product:

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: Thick
    4.- Color: Dark Green
    5.- Scent: Going out on a limb, Honeydew
    6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 9.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Chemical Guys
    9.- Made in: California

Other Products Used:

Pressure washer with foam cannon
    2 buckets with 4 Grit Guards
    Bone
    Water

Preparation:

Premix for the cannon at 32:1 (16oz water: 0.5oz CG HDSF). Fill one bucket with 4 gallons of (warm) water + 1oz of CG HDSF (fill with water first and then add the CG HDSF and agitate or you won`t get more than an gallon or two of water in a 5-gallon bucket). The other bucket gets 3-4 gallons of plain (warm) water.

I then knock off the loose dirt/dust with a quick rinse from the pressure washer.

Application:

Attach foam cannon to the pressure washer and let loose. Start with the wheels and work your way to the top. Let dwell for a few minutes and then proceed with a 2-bucket wash with the Bone, from the top down.

Observations:

Very nice, light smell. Cleans well and seems to leave the LSP unmolested. Excellent slipperiness. Very thick, long lasting foam.

My cars stay pretty clean so the 2x4BM wash wasn`t even needed following the foaming. Haven`t been able to try on a challenging customer car.

From foam cannon (note: on Cquartzed car - little sticks)

In bucket

Bucket after wash

Rinse bucket after wash (started as plain water)

Results (sorry, no sun at all)

Does it meet its claims? They make so many claims that I wouldn`t know where to start. How`s this - it is an excellent shampoo.

Comparisons:

Of the gloss enhancing shampoos, Optimum Car Wash is my favorite. It leaves the most gloss and is a pleasure to work with. Is much more expensive.

Pinnacle XMT Gel Shampoo & Conditioner (old formula) is another very good shampoo. No complaints other than the price. Even more expensive.

Duragloss 901 is a forum favorite. I must admit, though, it didn`t do anything for me. It is relatively inexpensive but I was spoiled with CG shampoos I`d been using that outperform it for less money (in gallons + the concentration difference). The cherry cough syrup smell is a bit stronger than I care for.

DP Xtreme Foam works well and has a nice mint smell. More expensive, though.

All of these needed 16:1 concentrations (or more) in my foam cannon to match the foam of CG HDSF. Obviously, CG HDSF is much more concentrated and cost effective. Tough call but I think CG HDSF is even slicker than any/all of the above.

Compared to the CG shampoos I`ve used (Glossworkz, CWG and CWC), all are super-concentrated. In terms of gloss enhancing, I think the order would be Glossworkz (most), CWG, HDSF and CWC (none). CWG & CWC can also be used for stripping wax off of paint - HDSF cannot (that I`ve heard).

Pros:

1.- Cleans well
    2.- Very slippery
    3.- Incredibly cost effective (by the gallon)
    4.- Pleasant smell
    5.- Maybe some added gloss.

Cons:

1.- None I`ve found.

Final Observations and Summary:

CG HDSF is my go-to shampoo when I`m doing maintenance washes on my vehicles (when I am allowed to use water). I also plan to use this as my standard maintenance shampoo for my customers (when allowed - until then, it is rinseless only).

I still have plenty of Optimum and will offer it as a premium upgrade - it is very noticeable.

CG CWC is my shampoo of choice prior to and after correction (again assuming they let me use water again). I like that you can make it strip wax or be a very gentle wash and that it leaves nothing behind.

I`m sure I’ll use the other shampoos but, in the future, will likely stick with these as my bread and butter products.

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Chemical Guys Honey Dew Snow Foam

great work I love reading your reviews. Have you tried and of the Poorboys washes???

Post Thanks / Like

Another great review - I`d been hoping you`d review this, as I`ve been looking for a good soap to use in my foam gun. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post

Compared to the CG shampoos I`ve used (Glossworkz, CWG and CWC), all are super-concentrated. In terms of gloss enhancing, I think the order would be Glossworkz (most), CWG, HDSF and CWC (none). CWG & CWC can also be used for stripping wax off of paint - HDSF cannot (that I`ve heard).
    So you used it at 1 oz per 4 gallons in the bucket?

You have not tried CG Maxi Suds? I think you may like it. I have a sample of the Honey Dew that I have not had a chance to use. If the weather is above 50 this coming weekend, I have a number of products I want to experiment with (Honey Dew, XMT Spray wax, Muc Tire dressing)

Your comment about Optimum and gloss enhancing was interesting since I like the soap but never really noticed much gloss change. I think I am going to do a test on the hood to see if I can see much difference.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick View Post
    Have you tried and of the Poorboys washes???
    No, I haven`t. I started off with CG products. The XMT was a super-VIP and Optimum was an accidental purchase (was trying to buy ONR ). Haven`t been all that adventuresome yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    So you used it at 1 oz per 4 gallons in the bucket?

You have not tried CG Maxi Suds?

Your comment about Optimum and gloss enhancing was interesting since I like the soap but never really noticed much gloss change.
    Yes - 1oz to ~4 gallons.

Not yet. Could be a while though. Only being able to use water Sundays 8-10AM and I have 4+ gallons of shampoos. And, yes, my neighbors love me - particularly when the 8hp MetroVac comes on.

My detailing partner, whom I didn`t tell I was using it on his car, noticed it the next day - on black.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the review! i am going to try this for my gilmore gun. my go to is DP XTREEM FOAM.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great CG review Mike. I will have to add this to my "CG To Try" list. Thanks again for the package
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great review. I`ve been debating on picking up a foam cannon, they seem like a good investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used almost a whole bottle of Honey Dew and it`s a nice soap. I think Ultima is my favorite so far but Honey Dew does work well in the foam gun and for how little is needed I think it`s a great value

Post Thanks / Like

Great review again! Havent tried HD as I dont use foam guns, but Im a fan of all the CG shampoos that I have tried. May add this to a future order. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another stellar review!!! I picked up a gallon of CGHDSF at 25% off over the Christmas sales and have not been able to use it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great review. Really appreciate all the wonderful reviews you treat us to.
    Current: 2015 Volvo S60 Platinum - Ember Black Metallic

Past: 2011 Jaguar XF Premium - Ebony, Barley/Truffle

Past: 2007 Celestial Blue Metallic C70 T5

Past: 2005 Black Saphire Metallic S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Another really really great review, thank you for sharing these with our forum members!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review. I have been thinking about trying this on my next order.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I have all of CG soaps. I like them all. The gallon is going to last a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information