Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What makes you purchase a new product ?

Just as the title says , what is it that sways you to separate yourselves from your money ? Is it a posting in this section "Detailing Reviews" with a lot of others posting similar results or maybe a review from a respected member who has steered you into the product you have found to be just what you were looking for ?
    My personal experience since 2006 or so hanging around the various forums has led me to a few of my go to items. To name a few that I didn`t find on my own were Folex,Griots da,Megs m/f pads (thanks Chris Dasher),the complete Optimum line starting with ONR (kudos to Chris@Optimum) Blackfire Midnite Sun (kudos to Angelo and Todd and the old PAC crew) Menzerna (thanks to Asphalt Rocket) some Chemical Guys products like EcoSmart wash and Citrus Wash and Gloss (thanks to Nick Chapman who has always been a tremendous help).
    So do I personally jump into the flavor of the month club ? Not like I did back in the day. But maybe a little if the hype is enough to get my attention LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What makes you purchase a new product ?

I enjoy trying new products. I like to test new claims, new application methods, and durability. I enjoy pitting one quality product against another especially if it`s challenging one that I consider a top contender and one I use.

I don`t fall for ridiculous claims and snake oil salesman. I stay with reputable product brands that I have counted on through the years and look forward to new developments and breakthroughs...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

I usually will try most any car wash. Next to sealants and waxes, it seems to be the most opinionated products.

In some ways, I am curious why people like certain things rather than just follow the herd in loyalty or thinking there is just one good product with descriptions like "brand x FTW".

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

For me now, it comes down to trying to fill the hole of an area that I am dissatisfied in. For example, I probably have a fair number of wheel cleaners because I haven`t found the One - safe, cleans well and easily, and doesn`t break the bank. Another one I`m currently chasing is the perfect AIO. I want something that removes swirls, cleans, and leaves a nice, durable shine. On Bobby`s and Garry Dean`s recommendation, I just bought a gallon of Megs 151 (have XMT 360, Griot`s, KAIO and others).

Then, every so often, I want to try a new boutique product for my cars. Just applied Tuff Shine to my DD (I hate doing tires). Gives me perspective on if I should be dissatisfied in one of my products and I like trying new things.

Well, that and if Chemical Guys releases something new.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to spend time researching products. So if I find something I`m interested in, research it and find out what people think who have used it, then I`m more likely to give it a try. I like to have an idea if something works or not before I spend my money on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to stick with "the old standby`s" including many products from the Blackfire line as well as an assortment of other`s including (but not limited to) Menzerna, Meguiars, 3M and Griot`s Garage. Best chance of me buying a product to try for the first time is when I`m about to run out of something. I sometimes will then shop around and check out something else. For example, I`m just about out of my `Microfiber Restore` but I think I`m gonna check out the upcoming Blackfire product instead.

-J

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting replies so far. A few different thoughts then I expected.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few products that have really cemented their place in my repertoire, but I will usually try what`s new if it gets good reviews. I mostly take the worth of a product based on a select few individuals reviews and opinions. Detailing is highly subjective, so the general public opinion isn`t always relevant to my needs.
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Being fairly new to the new boutique products, used to use Meguiars OTC stuff for years and like almost everything they sell. I find myself going mainly on a few of the members recomendations primarily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still feel like I`m looking for some of my "go to" products. Since I don`t do this for a living I like trying different products to see how I like it compared to other products I`ve used. I do use the reviews as a basis if I would like to try a product or not. I know what I like as far as results so of I think something might meet that I`m willing to try it.

I do have some go to products like UWW. Before I tried it I used only ONR and it worked fine but I feel UWW is superior. With that said if I did detailing for a living I would use ONR for the price.
    I`m willing to try any car wash soap since I know I will use it all up. Polishes and compounds are a different story. If I can`t get it in a something other than a gallon I won`t try it. It just lasts too long for me to use it up so for that reason I stick to Menzerna polishes and haven`t tried M105/M205.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d also like to say that I do have some favorite lines, and because I do I am more apt to try their products vs another brand. I don`t think I have anything Blackfire or Optimum that I don`t like. I still have many of their products to try, but so far everything works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Compulsion and a complete lack of self discipline.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmichael258 View Post
    Compulsion and a complete lack of self discipline.
    OK, I guess I should come clean; I "may" be guilty of this from time to time....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

I like to play with different products sine I`m not a pro. The reviews usually make me curious and then I buy.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, it`s something that I think fills a need I have . For example, recently I became aware I needed a rotary to do a job. Nothing else would work. And based upon the work to be done and my situation (bad back) , it had to be 1st and foremost, lightweight. Watching the video from Mike convinced me right there. Also there are a few I follow here, and what they recommend and as always, pictures and videos seal the deal....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information