Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: CG Silk Shine

Review: Chemical Guys Silk Shine

Introduction:

My personal preference is for no gloss on the interior. However, not all of my customers agree with me. That, and I needed a better tire dressing. So did I kill two birds with one product?

Thanks to Corey again for providing the format.

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site -

"Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing & Protectant

Provides durable UV protection.
    Dries to the touch.
    Natural looking appearance.

NEW! Silk Shine our most popular interior + exterior dry-to-the-tough super dressing with premium New-Car Scent just got even better! Newly formulated with CG technology + Weather-Tek Protectant it lasts longer and continues to protect even after numerous washes and tough weather. New long-lasting Silk Shine penetrates deep into vinyl, rubber, tires, black plastic bumpers and mirrors, trim and bumper guards, door moldings and much more delivering a deep long-lasting dark finish.

A single easy application of Silk Shine lasts weeks instead of days. Silk Shine new Weather-Tek system helps protects the surface regardless of the elements. From snow and moisture to water humidity and even high-heat, all new Silk Shine continues to protect for months.

New Dry to the touch pH balanced formula is water-based and developed to deliver a silk shine satin finish that will not attract dust. Keep interior and exterior trim, black plastic and rubber surface looking new longer with Silk Shine.

Sunlight and damaging Ultraviolet take a serious toll on vinyl and rubber surfaces deteriorating and destroying them. Silk Shine conditioner and protectant delivers a long-lasting durable UV shield to help protect against the elements.

From dashboard to door-panels all the way to exterior molding and trip, New car High Shine Dressing delivers a durable dry-to-touch new car finish that is simply amazing

The Goods:

Durable long-lasting shine
    Premium New-Car Scented
    Guards against UV damage
    Replenishes vital nutrients with every application
    Cleans normal surface dirt quickly and easily
    Leaves surfaces dry, healthy, shiny, and conditioned
    Also for all exterior rubber, and door seals"

Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing & Protectant

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle with Trigger Sprayer
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: A little thicker than water
    4.- Color: Milky white
    5.- Scent: Soapy
    6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 8.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Chemical Guys
    9.- Made in: California

Product

Other Products Used:

CG Nonsense
    MF

Preparation:

Even though my car didn`t need it, I wiped down the door card with CG Nonsense. (This is part of a dressing series so want to show different gloss levels from nothing.)

Application:

Spray a small amount on clean short nap MF and rub into vinyl or other interior surface. Follow with a light buffing with dry MF.

For tires, I spray on a polyethylene sponge plus a couple of light spritzes on the tire and then spread with sponge. If I want more gloss, repeat after 10min. After 10min, is dry to the touch but generally follow with a MF to ensure no excess.

Observations:

CG Silk nicely darkens the vinyl and leaves a reasonably glossy finish. Is dry-to-the touch and does not cement dust to the dash. It does have some cleaning properties.

Cleaned with Nonsense

CG IC, CG Silk and CG VRP

On tires, CG Silk darkens tires dramatically and is not overly glossy. It lasted me a few washes (2-3 weeks) and does not brown the tires.

(Sorry, no tire pics - will be trying a new, super long-lasting (non-ACC ) product tomorrow.)

Does it meet its claims: yes.

Comparisons:

Probably the closest product I`ve used to CG Silk is 303 Aerospace Protectant. I`ve only used 303 a couple of times and haven`t really figured it out yet. My applications have come out blotchy and haven`t gone back recently. Silk darkens more and (I think) has a bit more gloss.

Another product I have but haven`t used that is similar is Carpro PERL, based on CEE DOG`s review. Maybe I`ll try it out tomorrow and post an update. (I believe that is called a tease. )

Pros:

1.- Darkens vinyl and tires while adding gloss (if you are into that kind of thing).
    2.- Protects.
    3.- Cost effective
    4.- Pleasant smell.
    5.- Versatile: can be used on interior & exterior trim, vinyl, and tires.
    6.- Dries to the touch.
    7.- When used on tires, does not sling.

Cons:

1.- A bit glossy for my taste but definitely less than most OTC products. Much more "professional" looking.

Final Observations and Summary:

Like most CG products I`ve tried, CG Silk Shine is good stuff and meets my "professional" needs very well. Not as sexy as some of the boutique products I may use on my own vehicles but think they work quickly, without undue fuss and give a large percentage of the boutique result (& sometimes, more) at a low enough price for my "normal" customers to swallow without hurting "profit".

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CG Silk Shine

Another nice review. I have been using Meg`s QID. I prefer the natural look with no gloss. I usually don`t dress my interior unless requested.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Troy.

Forgot from the review: the one area where I was a little let down was on hard exterior plastics like the cowling or around mirrors. Works as I described but its durability is less than desired (at least what I desired). But there is another product, but that is for another day. I`m getting better at the "tease".

Post Thanks / Like

I really like silk shine as well. But for interior. On Exterior trim it will wash right off. Very nice review. For exterior I like the V.R.P. dressing btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by broker99 View Post
    For exterior I like the V.R.P. dressing btw.
    Review pending. But there is yet another different product that is my current hard plastic trim champion.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah great another trim dressing showdown. Can`t wait to see how the Perl and your secret champion compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reviewing this product and putting the side by side pics up. I think I like the look of IC better. I always use Meg`s QID and like the look it gives. I`d like to see a side by side between IC and QID

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I`d like to see a side by side between IC and QID
    They look exactly the same. Factory matte - crisp and clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you for sure that your not going to get factory matt with Perl.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this! I`ve been looking at this product way too long and haven`t splurged on it yet because I wanted to see how it looked, only problem was no reviews are available. Now that I know how it finishes I will pick this up because I have that select few that wants a dressing applied. Have you compared this to 303 AP yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Thank you for this! I`ve been looking at this product way too long and haven`t splurged on it yet because I wanted to see how it looked, only problem was no reviews are available. Now that I know how it finishes I will pick this up because I have that select few that wants a dressing applied. Have you compared this to 303 AP yet?
    No problem.

As I wrote in the Comparisons section, 303 AP is its closest competitor that I have used. For whatever reason, I can`t get 303 to turn out as nicely. I`ve seen it positively reviewed a number of times but it just doesn`t do it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great review. A little too glossy for my tastes. I like my interior to have a more natural look. I think I`m comfortable using Meg`s QID and 303 AP, unless something comes along and is just too good to pass on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about that. I missed that paragraph but read everything else, I`m guess I`m getting old and forget what I read? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    No problem.

As I wrote in the Comparisons section, 303 AP is its closest competitor that I have used. For whatever reason, I can`t get 303 to turn out as nicely. I`ve seen it positively reviewed a number of times but it just doesn`t do it for me.
    Are you buffing it off with a clean microfiber when your done?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    Are you buffing it off with a clean microfiber when your done?
    Yes. Just never seems to even out the way I want. I haven`t tried it for a while. Perhaps I`ll give it another go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information