Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

!!New Blackfire Product Review

BlackFire New Product Review - Winter 2012

My trailer for this review caused so many comments I felt it necessary to include again:

High Definition Link: BlackFire Trailer - YouTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYC1kjrefFw"]BlackFire Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

By the numbers this review set some new records for me. Not only is it my first true video review, but I had to take it a bit overboard. Every shot was filmed from two angles (in 1080p), and a time lapse was run of the entire process. In the end I ended up with 65GB of video, and about 20,000 pictures (time lapse). Due to some file locking issues I ended up clocking over 11 hours of video rendering, not including the three nights of editing before that. I have made my most sincere efforts to cut down the review to be a reasonable length, speeding up sections and cutting a lot of sections, but in the end it is honestly a mammoth video. I hope that you have the patience to get through it, I will add some shortcuts to various product sections. Also, this being my first serious foray into the video medium feedback is most welcomed.

Before any big detail or review day I believe nutrition makes a huge difference, and I need some high quality fuel to propel me through this 5 hour review session. My breakfast of choice was a breakfast scramble with broccoli, red peppers, and some potatoes topped with a bit of cheese and enjoyed with a good dousing of Cholula. This super fuel definitely kept me going through my review.

Yum!

Before we get started on all of the video I can`t resist using a bit of my familiar medium of photography. My car on review day was far from clean (but a lot better than what I would eventually do to it afterwards). We have finally gotten some snow here in Iowa so it had a nice spray/crust of winter salt/sand/grime that is a nightmare. Fortunately for me I had a heated garage at my disposal, which made the review possible in our 10 degree weather.

The before pictures:

Now what have we all come here for, and why is this so exciting? The gist is I was fortunate enough to be sent a few of the new BlackFire products to play with and familiarize myself with before they were publicly released so that I could provide information and feedback to the community at large. I must thank Nick and Meghan from AutoGeek for making this happen; on the flip side it put quite a bit of pressure on me to churn out something great, which I have made my very best efforts to do.

A bit of history: BlackFire is a relatively new line for me, something that I have recently discovered, and my previous experience with Wet Diamond and Midnight Sun has made those two products part of my go-to surefire LSPs. I was very interested to see how the new formulations would stack up. When I got the products there was very little information out about what the differences between the old and new versions were, so one of the things I was really looking for was to find a difference between the two while reviewing.

Without further delay, make sure you have a fresh beverage, and enjoy:

High Definition Link for the Video (recommended 720p or higher): Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixNblfC7LM]Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube[/ame]

Shortcut Links:
    Waterless Wash: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Midnight Sun: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Wet Diamond: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Crystal Seal: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Eclipse Tire Shine: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube

After using the products as you witnessed in the video I had a particularly difficult time finding differences between the old and the new version. Now that is far from a bad thing, because I have been smashingly impressed with the old versions, and there really was not much that I could think of to improve on, except perhaps the dusting with Wet Diamond removal. Of course on the day I do my video review both products were on best behavior and dust free, so I will have to revisit that point of comparison.

Question to Todd Helme:
    Is there any formulation differences between the new Midnight Sun and the old version. Is there any formulation differences between the new Wet Diamond and old Wet Diamond?
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme
    Improving these products is quite difficult because they are so highly regarded.Both products have been gone through but with respect BLACKFIRE`s core foundation, we knew better then to mess with these too much.
    Where does that leave us? Well, durability in short. With the application of both the old and new versions, I am enabling myself to test out the durability of the products. BUT WAIT you are saying in frustration, the Midnight sun comparison on the lower and upper part of the door is not fair! That is correct, and unfortunately part of the video that got cut was my setup of the roof as a 50/50 comparison. In review we have a 50/50 on the hood with old/new Wet Diamond, a 50/50 on the roof with old/new Midnight Sun, and a comparison between the durability of Wet Diamond, Midnight Sun and Crystal Seal on the body of the car.

Hang on! There was a product you didn`t review! :bash: :bat: Well, yes, as you would expect that to make sure I have a good test of the Advanced Pad Cleaner, I am letting my pads sit for a few days to really get nice and hard to clean. I swear it has nothing to do with my aversion of cleaning pads in a timely manner. Seriously though, I had meant for it to be included as a part of the original review, however, due to the product launch I wanted to get the information I already had gathered out there so it could help people out. I will append my Advanced Pad Cleaner review in the very near future.

What about the durability of the Eclipse Tire Shine? Well after the review, as in the day after the review I went and did something a bit crazy and destroyed any comparison test on the tires … so I will have to re-do this durability test. Those of you with an adversity to seeing dirty cars should stop reading right about now, because although a shiny, well kept Subaru, it is still a Subaru; and when the chance for a RallyCross event comes around even a 5 hour detailing session will not deter it from getting down and having some fun in the mud.

The last beauty shots of the clean Subaru:

Video I shot of other Subaru`s having fun:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ualqR4Em-YA"]RallyCross - High Def - YouTube[/ame]

Video shot from inside of my Subaru:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrro-LSOtc0"]Rally Cross - Cockpit View - YouTube[/ame]

Video shot from outside of my Subaru:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubqIPKILl8"]SCCA RallyCross - GoPro.mov - YouTube[/ame]

A bit of extra footage I had:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8XoxYFq6Kk"]Rally Cross Outside Turn - YouTube[/ame]

And the aftermath:

Cleanup impressions coming in the near future.

Whew! If you made it this far in one sitting, I am seriously impressed!
    : :yippee:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: !!New Blackfire Product Review

Simply outstanding on all levels.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic review. Thanks for spending the time and effort to do this for us.

So far, all of the products look great but Crystal Seal is stealing the show for me!!

Post Thanks / Like

LegacyGT,

You are the man!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice video and review. Thanks for spending so much time on it.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW Bill!!! I finally got all through the videos... A very nice review.

I really like the rally section!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What can I say that the others did not? Very nicely done and very entertaining. It`s nice to see the product in use. Great insight and feedback.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

LegacyGT--- Thank you!

Your reviews were great....it appears the newer version BFWD and MS are very, very similar to the earlier version. I was particulary interested in that.

I also agree, the Crystal Seal stole the show. Thanks again for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice Bill

also looks like the plasti-dip is holding up well

Post Thanks / Like

Nice images and videos

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: !!New Blackfire Product Review

very cool post!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent review very well done!

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, you are seriously one talented man. Excellent review on the Blackfire products and sweet RallyCross vids! I liked the head shot, too funny! Thanks for sharing all.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bill,

I have to admit that I was expecting something slightly different when I clicked in this "review"....

Once I got into some of the videos I really enjoyed seeing you sliding around on the mud rally track and especially from the drivers perspective.

You have a great assortment of products to choose from and due to the quality, ease of use, and variety, the BlackFire line might just be the best full service line on the market today...

Thanks for taking the time putting this all together!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Bill, you are seriously one talented man. Excellent review on the Blackfire products and sweet RallyCross vids! I liked the head shot, too funny! Thanks for sharing all.
    Thanks Richard, truth be told, I have a lot of fun making the videos

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Excellent review very well done!
    Thanks Merlin

Quote Originally Posted by juliom2 View Post
    very cool post!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xtralights View Post
    Nice images and videos
    Thank You !

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    very nice Bill

also looks like the plasti-dip is holding up well
    It is, I only have one spot that chipped a bit, but it was in a thin area. I plan on just re-coating it. I have been very happy with the results of the plasti-dip

Quote Originally Posted by Wax2aMax View Post
    LegacyGT--- Thank you!

Your reviews were great....it appears the newer version BFWD and MS are very, very similar to the earlier version. I was particulary interested in that.

I also agree, the Crystal Seal stole the show. Thanks again for doing this.
    I agree, they are both very similar in a good way ... they both are fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by TID10 View Post
    What can I say that the others did not? Very nicely done and very entertaining. It`s nice to see the product in use. Great insight and feedback.
    Very glad that you enjoyed and got some entertainment, that makes everything worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    WOW Bill!!! I finally got all through the videos... A very nice review.

I really like the rally section!!!
    Thanks Troy, it was a big review. I have another rally cross coming up next month, so stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    LegacyGT,

You are the man!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Fantastic review. Thanks for spending the time and effort to do this for us.

So far, all of the products look great but Crystal Seal is stealing the show for me!!
    Crystal Seal is some really cool stuff indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Simply outstanding on all levels.
    Thanks Todd, it means a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information