Post Thanks / Like

Review: Ebay clay bar

I recently purchased a clay bar that I found on Ebay. The price got my attention, it was 5.61 shipped to NJ. I was a little skeptical about it because how much cheaper compared to others brands in market. The clay is blue and weights 160 grams. Seller was from Hong Kong and took about 17 days to arrive.

It came in a bubble wrapped package.

I went and tested it on my father`s silver mini van. Bought new in July 2010 and only clayed it once before last winter. The car is normally washed in automatic car washes.

This was just from claying the hood.

The paint came out really smooth. I would say this clay bar is in-between clay bar kits and gray clay bars. Its has little more bit then the clay kits, but not as aggressive as gray clay bars.

Here a video comparing the hood`s surface after clayed to the fender.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9qpEG17P4]MVI 6167 - YouTube[/ame]

Since the mini van had a lot of swirls it was very hard to tell if it caused any marring. So I went to test it on my TSX hood. It was recently washed by Acura and there were light swirls all over the car. But I found part of the hood that had less swirls. I cleaned the hood first with DP waterless and then wiped and dried. Then started claying part of the hood with ebay clay bar. I clayed for about a few minutes in a small area 16x16, and wiped everything off. I then inspected the paint and maybe found VERY minimum marring.

Went back home and uploaded few stuff, but I wasn`t satisfied with my findings. So I went back out and compared ebay clay, gray clay, and purple clay. Went back to the mini van, the driver`s door was very dirty. There was a lot of grime from the wheel wells that splatter onto the door.

After testing all 3 clay bars on the driver door.

They each have their place, but I think I have found a cheap replacement for the white clay bars. The ebay clay has slightly more bit compared to it, and a LOT cheaper. Marring isn`t a big factor when buying clay, I wouldn`t really clay bar a car unless it`s going to be polished. The ebay clay can`t replace the gray or purple clay, but its on top of my list for lightly contaminated cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good find. Im an addicted eBayer, and while some of the stuff on there is knock offs or junk, most of it definitely does the job. Clay is over priced imo anyway so if you got some for that price, that`s awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Ebay clay bar

Awesome find, so awesome I orders 2 bars to take on a test drive myself!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

I would say this clay bar is in-between clay bar kits and gray clay bars. Its has little more bit then the clay kits, but not as aggressive as gray clay bars.
    ... but I think I have found a cheap replacement for the white clay bars.
    slickooz -

Could you inform a n00bb which mfg. you`re referring to? Kinda like trying to figure out whose orange pad someone`s talking about

Also, can you provide the sellers ID?
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Good find. Im an addicted eBayer, and while some of the stuff on there is knock offs or junk, most of it definitely does the job. Clay is over priced imo anyway so if you got some for that price, that`s awesome.
    Thanks! I had my eyes on for months and finally pulled trigger, I`m glad I did. If you can save money why not?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Awesome find, so awesome I orders 2 bars to take on a test drive myself!!
    Thanks Bobby! Hope you like it. If not you can use on glass or wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque View Post
    slickooz -

Could you inform a n00bb which mfg. you`re referring to? Kinda like trying to
    figure out whose orange pad someone`s talking about

Also, can you provide the sellers ID?
    The clay kit I mention was Meguair`s clay kit. And the gray one was from DP.
    Here the link to the seller.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Post Thanks / Like

Great find and thanks for taking the time for the reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet review, well written and documented Thanks for taking the time!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the Mothers kit a few weeks ago because I was in a pinch and needed some and I thought it was really fine grade; not aggressive at all. The car wasn`t flayed in over a year and not much came off after several passes it still had stuff I could feel with the Baggie test. I think I might have to order some of this clay to try out. I just got my Blackfire clay and I can`t wait to try it out too.

You can never have too much clay!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I bought the Mothers kit a few weeks ago because I was in a pinch and needed some and I thought it was really fine grade; not aggressive at all. The car wasn`t flayed in over a year and not much came off after several passes it still had stuff I could feel with the Baggie test. I think I might have to order some of this clay to try out. I just got my Blackfire clay and I can`t wait to try it out too.

Mothers clay sucks. I got some a few months ago, and after being used to Clay Magic blue and red, it took about 10 minutes of using Mothers before I gave it away. Worst I`ve ever used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Mothers clay sucks. I got some a few months ago, and after being used to Clay Magic blue and red, it took about 10 minutes of using Mothers before I gave it away. Worst I`ve ever used.
    Clay Magic blue is what I used before. Mothers just didn`t seem to remove much. The clay looked almost as clean as when I unwrapped it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay Magic blue is what I used before. Mothers just didn`t seem to remove much. The clay looked almost as clean as when I unwrapped it.
    You can`t go wrong with Clay Magic. Another good one is Car Brite purple. I`ve not used Poorboys or the like, but I can`t imagine anything being much better than Clay Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

im wondering if the beige bars they sell are more aggressive or the same as the blue. i might need to purchase both just to test...

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, i`ll give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket you will be much happier with the Blackfire clay. The only drawback is its hard to mold in cold weather so make sure to run it under hot water or soak it in a tub of hot water first.

By the looks of the blue clay it didnt take off as much as the other bars and doesnt look like what you want in
    aggressiveness .

Thread Information