Post Thanks / Like

Dry Shine Trim Restorer vs. ReNu Finish Automotive Trim Restorer

Mini Review

Dry Shine BLACK Trim Restorer

MFG Overview
    Give your faded black plastic bumpers, running boards and trim a DRY and PERMANENT “Brand
    New Look” treatment that restores both the rich black color and factory shine to your vehicle’s
    black trim. Kit includes 4 oz Treatment, Foam Applicator, Microfiber Towel and Rubber Gloves.

RENU FINISH – Automotive Trim Restorer

MFG Overview
    ReNu FINISH™ is a tested product proven to treat and restore a variety of exterior plastic trim
    ravaged by time and the elements. There is no need for taping or spray guns. ReNu FINISH™
    simply wipes on to treat and restore exterior faded plastic trim pieces on your vehicle. After the
    application, a gentle hand buffing refreshes the trim to showroom new condition.

---------------

Test Area:
    I applied Dry Shine Black Trim Restorer to the left side of a faded black trim bumper
    I applied ReNu Finish Auto Trim Restorer to the right hand side of the same faded bumper.

First Impressions:
    Dry Shine is a larger bottle – I.E. more product, foam pad
    ReNu Finish – more in depth directions, great applicator pads.
    I`m not trilled with the ReNu Packaging. I really hate those plastic cut aways.

Application:
    Dry Shine is more difficult to apply, more prone to streaking (takes careful application technique)
    ReNu Finish much easier to apply, a lot more forgiving simple application, little to no streaking.

Look:
    Dry Shine is darker, much more shiny (when applied very lightly by just wetting the surface)
    ReNu Finish does make the trim black, it has a very slight shine (not as glossy as Dry Shine)
    Dry Shine Trim Restorer application can be applied not as glossy by applying w/slight pressure.

End Impressions:
    I have had a little difficulty applying Dry Shine Trim Restorer to smooth or very lightly bumpy trim.
    ReNu Finish was much easier to apply on flat trim, and I encountered no application streaking.

Durability:
    I have gotten over 6 months on a single application of Dry Shine Trim Restorer on black trim.
    Applied ReNu Finish on the right side of the bumper will update at 1 week, 1 month, etc.
    On the ReNu item durability the jury`s still out...

Epilogue:
    Both Products made faded grey trim black.
    Dry Shine Trim Restorer can be slightly difficult to use and is blacker and shinier the ReNu.
    ReNu Finish Auto Trim Restorer did a good job making trim black and is consumer use friendly.

1 Week Follow up:
    OK, after a week of constant rain I finally was able to get pics. (a week later durability check?)
    Sorry no before pics but take my word for it the bumper was very GREY before the applications.
    Here is my personal observation. The Dry Shine side is a bit darker than the ReNu Finish side.
    The ReNu Finish side has more of a slight matte finish to it rather than a low luster shiny finish.
    If beading means anything on trim, my observation is the ReNu Finish side beads water better.

Pic one week after bumper trim application...

Dry Shine BLACK Trim Restorer [LEFT SIDE] - vs. - ReNu Finish Automotive Trim Restorer [RIGHT SIDE]

Yea I know, before you say it, although I did put ReNu Finish on the greyed out tailgate handle I didn`t put any product on the bottom tailgate trim. Yes, that`s how greyed out the bumper trim was.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dry Shine Trim Restorer vs. ReNu Finish Automotive Trim Restorer

Thanks for the comparison review. Unfortunately I can`t discern anything from the side-by-side photo. Based on your description and the photos from your standalone Dry Shine review I would be more inclined to seek out the ReNu product as your description of the resulting appearance is more to my liking.

I am curious as to your meaning of this statement:
    End Impressions:
    I have had a little difficulty applying Dry Shine Trim Restorer to smooth or very lightly bumpy trim.
    ReNu Finish was much easier to apply on flat trim, and I encountered no application streaking.
    Does that mean flat as in no texture? Does that mean ReNu is equally difficult to apply to "lightly bumpy" trim?
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Thanks for the comparison review. Unfortunately I can`t discern anything from the side-by-side photo. Based on your description and the photos from your standalone Dry Shine review I would be more inclined to seek out the ReNu product as your description of the resulting appearance is more to my liking.

I am curious as to your meaning of this statement:
    Does that mean flat as in no texture? Does that mean ReNu is equally difficult to apply to "lightly bumpy" trim?
    Dry Shine Black Trim Restore can be applied in such a way that you can obtain a matte looking finish. When I do a final VERY light wet coat that is what creates that high gloss shine.

In the truck picture, the trim around the back window is a smooth surface with a very light bumpy texture. This type of surface is a bit difficult to apply Dry Shine Black Trim Restore IMHO.

I prefer the gloss and shine of Dry Shine Black Trim restorer on the bumper and it appears (so far) to have better longevity.

ReNu Finish Automotive Trim Restorer IMHO is much easier to apply, with no streaking and a flat matte finish.

I`m not sure how I would describe the products differences. Dry Shine Black Trim Restorer is more like a coating. While ReNu Finish Automotive Trim Restorer is more like a black trim stain.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see feedback in a few weeks on durability.

Thread Information