Post Thanks / Like

`Old Schooler` needs an update......

My first post here, but a long-time customer of Autopia...several owners ago.

Several years ago, I found this site, and bought starter kits, and later full sizes of the Sonus products, including the SFX- and Swirlbuster products, along with DAS pads, etc. I bought enough of this stuff to last several years, along with a DA Porter-Cable polisher from Lowe`s.

Now, because of infrequent use and large bottles, I`ve finally run out of stuff and need to buy more polish. I still have KAIO sealer that I can use (unless someone can recommend something just as easy that is MUCH better). But now I`ve come back to the website to buy more polish, and whoa! now there`s a dozen different brands! Can someone help?

I`ve got a 2006 Nissan Altima SE that`s now showing her age. Paint color is BW9 (Midnight Blue?), so swirl marks have been an issue. I`ve used the Sonus Swirlbuster for years, then finished it off with KAIO -- just two steps, but sometime multiple passes with Swirlbuster or starting with SFX-1.

I`ve neglected the car over the past year -- washing less frequently and not polishing or sealing for over 10 months now -- the Swirlbuster did OK (just OK; I wasn`t jumping up and down) but now I`m wondering: is there something better? Two or three steps, it doesn`t matter, but I`m seeing the following:

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
    Pinnacle XMT #?
    Pinnacle Advance Swirl whatever?
    Others?

I know the Sonus used some sort of "filler" or something to fill in scratches and swirls, but I don`t think I want a filler. I want to fix it! And while the paint isn`t too beat-up or scratched, I do have water spots that have been on for 2-3 years now. SFX-1 with the DA orange (even using the spot pad)wouldn`t get rid of them; If anyone has a suggestion that would work with the DA, let me know (and what to follow-up with up to final polish and/or sealant).

So, to sum it up, and based on my car, the color, and fair paint condition (with water spots), what do you guys recommend to start with, and the products and steps up to final finish? I think I understand what pads I need, but any comments there are welcome! All opinions welcome!

Thanks in advance for everyone`s help; I plan on getting this done on Memorial Day weekend, so I need to order soon! I will try and take before and after pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: `Old Schooler` needs an update......

For polishes I would go with the Meg`s 105/205 combo. Or save some money and go to Wal-Mart and Buy the Ultimate Compound, ScratchX 2.0, and Swirl X. Less than $20 for all three, and they work amazingly well.

In fact, You can probably get an entire kit from start to finish at Wal-Mart now with the Meg`s "Ultimate" line of consumer stuff that would rival any kit sold by anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably not the site you were on before, the ownership of the Autopia-CarCare store has changed since you bought your products. That Swirlbuster polish was ok, but I didn`t find it to really fill anything.

A lot has changed since you bought that stuff. If you are really using the KAIO (as opposed to the KSG sealant), you were probably doing a redundant step which ok if the KAIO was the only sealant you had.

If you have water spots that are going to require some aggressive polishing, you probably can`t go wrong with this combo Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze . The pads you have are probably ok. You can use your Klasse on top of that or there are plenty of good sealants or waxes you could use.

Post Thanks / Like

Well welcome back "Old Schooler" Yes, things have changed and continue to change each year, now more then ever. We are most likely from the same thread of material and come from a lot of the same background.

Things have changed so much its really very hard to make decisions and figure out where you want to be and what you need to take care of business. Even the new paints and paint technology have changed a lot over the past years.

I can say that the prior post from a couple of the guys on the forum making the suggestion of using Meguiars 105 compound and 205 polish is a great start for paint correction and defect removal. Its a great "Go To" product. Meguiars has many of those in their line of chemicals.

Also note that one of the newest changes is the new Meguiar DA Micro Fiber Paint Correction System and has been blowing doors off the industry over the past two months with a lot of success. The reason for this is ease of use, time being saved and its one very simple solution you can count on in a big way.

I would suggest checking out the new video for the new Meguiars DA Paint Correction System on the site. It is a great video.

There are several other chemicals on the site now that are becoming staples with Autopia. Wolfgang and Pinnacle are both products I can see you have used and they are still here and getting stronger and better with age!!! LOL...

Do yourself a favor and take it easy, one step at a time and don`t get to overwhelmed with all that`s going on. Stay on the Autopia Forum, a lot of great info coming in here and I will be more then happy to coach you along with the best advice I can to be sure your entry back in is an easy and safe one. If you would like to e-mail me at: mel@thedetailingpros.com and I will do my best to assist you in anyway I can.

And yes, the Autopia Car Care site has also been though some changes over the past several years but, Autopia Car Care is here to stay and its only going to continue to grow and get better... This is the place to be, to shop and to get all the info you need to help make your job a lot easier.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Good luck to you "Old Schooler"
    Mel Craig
    The Detailing Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Mel,

Thanks for the update....the Meguiars DA Microfiber system looks sweet -- I`m looking for any change that`s simpler. I did see where RaskyR1`s review also followed-up with the M205 polish in one case...so a few questions are in order here:
    1. If I used the D300 compound, and then the M205 polish, I still finish up with the D301 to seal?
    2. If the D301 is truely a sealer, how does it compare with other sealers, such as Klasse, etc. Will it last as long?
    3. Or should I use another sealer on top of the D301? if so, what can you recommend?
    4. Or could I just get the D300 and pad, then use the M205, then seal (not really using the kit)?

The answer (among others) I`m looking for is whether I need to use a finer polish between the D300 and D301, or is this combo good enough, and should I seal with something better than D301.....

Thanks for everyone`s help!

Thread Information