Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at placing a PB order please critique

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250 Crew Cab

Color: Dark Stone Metallic (Dark Charcoal Grey)

Problem: Water spots & truck was never detailed by previous owner

Shopping List:

Wash
    Clay
    PB Pro-polish 2
    PB Pro-polish
    PB Black Hole Show Glaze
    PB World EX sealant with carnuba

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking at placing a PB order please critique

I dont know that I would go for PP2 unless the paint needs some pretty serious correction. Ive never used it but from what Ive gathered, its pretty aggressive. Maybe Steve will chime in on this one. My go to polish for dark colors is SSR2. Its the glossiest polish Ive ever used and does wonders on any color. Pro Polish is a great polish as well though. Maybee try the EX-P sealant and top it with Nattys Blue wax. Your Charcoal Grey will look like you can swim in it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I dont know that I would go for PP2 unless the paint needs some pretty serious correction. Ive never used it but from what Ive gathered, its pretty aggressive. Maybe Steve will chime in on this one. My go to polish for dark colors is SSR2. Its the glossiest polish Ive ever used and does wonders on any color. Pro Polish is a great polish as well though. Maybee try the EX-P sealant and top it with Nattys Blue wax. Your Charcoal Grey will look like you can swim in it
    So would I need the SSR2 and then the SSR1, followed by EX-P sealant, and then Nattys Blue?

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what my go to now a days for metallic paint is this

Pro Polish
    Polish with Carnuba Blue
    Liquid Nattys Blue
    and a few coats of Nattys White..

thats what seems to really bring the metallic flakes out and popping!
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Post Thanks / Like

Will the pro-polish be aggressive enough to take care of the water spots, distilled white vinegar doesn`t do anything to the water spots?? I`m serious when I say this truck has NEVER been waxed.

Post Thanks / Like

you never stated you process

hand, DA or rotary?

even with the best clay you will slightly mar the clear coat.
    PP2 is more aggressive than PP1 and I feel it falls between SSR1 and SSR2, and if your doing this by hand i would scratch the PP2 for SSR1 or like Gus said Pro Polish and Polish with Carnuba Blue.

My flavor of choice for darker colors after polishings is EXP followed with Natty Blue, you get a rich deep gloss with depth of reflection, best of both worlds. all these products can be use in direct sun light just be cautious on the amount of product used.. the old adage "the more the better" does not work here, just enough to keep what ever you use lubricated.

Pro Polish is a chemical cleaner if it does not remove the water spotting the clear coat may be etched and require rotary polishing as long as the etching is not deep.

a while back Radio Shack sold a 10x light micro scope.. it would be a good choice to look at the surface real close to see the extent of the etching.
    Beercan

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01somta View Post
    Will the pro-polish be aggressive enough to take care of the water spots, distilled white vinegar doesn`t do anything to the water spots?? I`m serious when I say this truck has NEVER been waxed.
    if its that bad.. they wont come out.. you can hide them somewhat.. but they wont come out.. just got to learn to live with it..
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beercan31 View Post
    you never stated you process

hand, DA or rotary?

even with the best clay you will slightly mar the clear coat.
    PP2 is more aggressive than PP1 and I feel it falls between SSR1 and SSR2, and if your doing this by hand i would scratch the PP2 for SSR1 or like Gus said Pro Polish and Polish with Carnuba Blue.

My flavor of choice for darker colors after polishings is EXP followed with Natty Blue, you get a rich deep gloss with depth of reflection, best of both worlds. all these products can be use in direct sun light just be cautious on the amount of product used.. the old adage "the more the better" does not work here, just enough to keep what ever you use lubricated.

Pro Polish is a chemical cleaner if it does not remove the water spotting the clear coat may be etched and require rotary polishing as long as the etching is not deep.

a while back Radio Shack sold a 10x light micro scope.. it would be a good choice to look at the surface real close to see the extent of the etching.

Sorry I will be using a PC 7424xp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Gus View Post
    if its that bad.. they wont come out.. you can hide them somewhat.. but they wont come out.. just got to learn to live with it..

I was able to hand polish a section out the size of a dollar bill using turtle was rubbing compound, followed by turtle wax polishing compound, followed by Megs Gold Glass wax.

Post Thanks / Like

PC 7424xp will do fine but I would get SSR1 and follow with PP1 topped EXP and Natty Blue... you`ll love it.. and it will last a good amount of time.
    Beercan

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, with those above who mentioned the Pro Polish for attacking the the water spotting.

After that I take another path for metallic based paints. This is what is so tough about making recommendations so confusing even when the recommendations are within the same family of products. So the best thing will be to do a bit of experimenting to see just what pleases your eye.

I haven`t tried any of the Poorboy`s SSR products so I wont` make a recommendation. I will say that there are those who profess to be able to do a fair amount correcting using more aggressive pad combinations with Pro Polish. I have not, but I like the Pro Polish for general clean-up and as a base for other products.

Next I would opt for the EX-P over EX for maximum visual impact for your metallic paint. I also use EX and Polish w/Carnauba but are not my favorites not for mettallics. And I would also make another choice besides Natty`s Blue. I`ve tried it, it looks nice but I would just opt for doing 2-3 applications of EX-P. Natty`s White might be an option for a topper, but I`ve not used it either.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01somta View Post
    I was able to hand polish a section out the size of a dollar bill using turtle was rubbing compound, followed by turtle wax polishing compound, followed by Megs Gold Glass wax.
    How did it turn out after you did this? Were the water spots still there?

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

You are getting great comments on how to use the PB line up. Hereswhat Id do. 16oz ssr2.5,followed by PP2, followed by my old standby Polish with sealant, and top that with EX,EXP, or any of the nattys waxes, RED, a couplke coats follwed by a copuple coats of white. Never can have to much NATTYS right RON.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ok my two cents ....

I would get :

Pro Polish
    PP2
    Black Hole
    EX-P
    Natty`s (optional)

here`s the reasoning ...
    if the water spots are not as bad as you think (using the right product and pad) then the Pro Polish should be enough ... if the water spots are that bad, you will need PP2 which will clean and level off the etching to make it at least very negligible. If they are out great, if there is a hint of them, the Black Hole will make them disappear and give depth and wetness to the paint. Then seal it in with EX-P ... Natty`s (Red or Blue) would be optional, but on a big truck, I`m not sure you are looking for an extra step
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    ok my two cents ....

I would get :

Pro Polish
    PP2
    Black Hole
    EX-P
    Natty`s (optional)

here`s the reasoning ...
    if the water spots are not as bad as you think (using the right product and pad) then the Pro Polish should be enough ... if the water spots are that bad, you will need PP2 which will clean and level off the etching to make it at least very negligible. If they are out great, if there is a hint of them, the Black Hole will make them disappear and give depth and wetness to the paint. Then seal it in with EX-P ... Natty`s (Red or Blue) would be optional, but on a big truck, I`m not sure you are looking for an extra step

Haha, Thanks. Which Lake Country pads should I use for each step? I was thinking about order 2 orange, 2 white, and 2 gray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information