Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Test! SONAX Full Effect Wheel Cleaner

I had the chance to test out the very popular Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner today on wheels that haven`t been cleaned in over a year. I never pass up an opportunity to put a product to the ultimate test. I`ll tell you guys this; I was skeptical. I wasn`t sure anything would clean these wheels without spending half the day doing so.

So after lunch I grabbed Meghan and some supplies and we headed outside. As usual, it was another beautiful day in Sunny Stuart Florida. :props:

Products Used:

-SONAX Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
    -5 Gallon Wash Bucket with Grit Guard
    -Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush
    -Long Handle Tire and Wheel Brush Green
    -Griots Garage Car Wash
    -All Purpose Microfiber Tire and Wheel Towel

Just to get an idea of how bad these wheels were, we snapped a few pictures before we got started.

As you can see, the brake dust is caked on very thick.

Sonax Full Effect is a very safe, non-acidic wheel cleaner that is safe on ALL wheel finishes.

Before cleaning any wheel, first make sure it is cool to the touch.

After Sonax Full Effect sits on the wheel for about 30 seconds, you can see the transformation take place as it changes colors from green to red. This happens because the wheel cleaner interacts with the iron particles in the caked on brake dust. Not many products actually show that they`re working hard to clean your car - but Sonax does!

After we will let it for a couple minutes, it was time to agitate the wheel using our trusty Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush. The Daytona works great for getting in behind spokes and in between brake calipers, especially on wider wheels.

Once all the hard to reach areas were clean, we grabbed our Long Handle Tire and Wheel Brush to clean the face of the wheel and the tires.

All cleaned up, now it`s time to rinse and dry using the All Purpose Black Microfiber Wheel and Tire Towel!

Check out those clean wheels!

I was really impressed with this product. I can see why it`s so popular with professional detailers who not only need a strong, effective wheel cleaner, but also one that`s safe for all wheel finishes.

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate Test! SONAX Full Effect Wheel Cleaner

did they change the sent yet in the smaller bottels ? its a good cleaner but i couldnt deal with the smell of it. waiting for the change i know it changed in the larger 5 litters from what i heard.

Post Thanks / Like

How does it compare to Megs Wheel Brite? That - cut 4:1 has been my go-to for nasty wheels. Also, I power wash the wheel first to loosen up the crud, ensure the surface is cool and add a little water to help dilute the WB just a tab more.
    I like the wheel brush, couldn`t have invented a better one if I tried!

Post Thanks / Like

Get some dirty wheels and use the stuff without brush/scrubbing and lets see em
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Get some dirty wheels and use the stuff without brush/scrubbing and lets see em
    He has a point i mean with enuff scrubbing and time soap and water can take caked brake dust off. Its all about how easy it and effective it is at breaking up the brake dust. I still perfer my Pro Wheel Brightener (same as Meg`s)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGWAW View Post
    He has a point
    Thank you. (check my sig)

But, I`m also basically lazy. So that means I want to spray my wheels with cleaner, then hose em down.

Having BMW`s and Audi`s that`s a tough thing to do.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE BMW AND AUDI RIMS although Volvo rims have started going that way also but there is a real easy fix to the brake dust problem on those car but most people dont do it because they are high end cars and feel that they should only use those brand parts. But if you switch to a aftermarket high end ceramic brake pad such as EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads or http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2911A0A0.aspx (not the auto parts store brand) They will still be cheaper then the dealer parts and wont leave half the brake dust they do. Thats the wrench turner in me coming out i was mechanic before i started detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post

Not bad, but I agree with Ron and TGW, why not test that out on a poorly maintained wheel? Like a discolored wheel or a wheel with brake dust that is caked on there? I mean, the wheel looks good and all, but it seems like soap and water could also take that right out. There`s not really anything impressive going on over here...
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE BMW AND AUDI RIMS although Volvo rims have started going that way also but there is a real easy fix to the brake dust problem on those car but most people dont do it because they are high end cars and feel that they should only use those brand parts. But if you switch to a aftermarket high end ceramic brake pad such as EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads or Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads - Over 130 Reviews of Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads (not the auto parts store brand) They will still be cheaper then the dealer parts and wont leave half the brake dust they do. Thats the wrench turner in me coming out i was mechanic before i started detailing
    Was gonna go with Pagid, but both manufacturers would love to void the warranty on the brakes.

Post Thanks / Like

actully most warrantys don`t include brakes (pad or rotors) as they are a consumable. They just want you to think that so you keep buying there crap same thing with an oil change getting an oil change somewhere else will not void your warranty. As with all things they want you to keep coming back to them and pay their insanely high service prices. I have work on both sides (dealership and private shop). Things like brakes oil air filter wont void the warranty although 90% of people think it will.

Post Thanks / Like

actully most warrantys don`t include brakes (pad or rotors) as they are a consumable. They just want you to think that so you keep buying there crap same thing with an oil change getting an oil change somewhere else will not void your warranty. As with all things they want you to keep coming back to them and pay their insanely high service prices. I have work on both sides (dealership and private shop). Things like brakes oil air filter wont void the warranty although 90% of people think it will.
    Yeah I know. But since when the pads get changed they change rotors as well, tehy would blow of the whole thing.

Thread Information