Thread: Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

Why do most people put their first coat of wax/sealant on by PC and follow up coats by hand. I have read many posts to this effect. If there are no abrasives or cleaning action (PB EX-P) in the product you are using then it would not strip the prior coats.

Just curious

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was something posted about this quite recently.
    If I remember correctly, the thought is that the more aggressive action of the PC combined with the oils/solvents contained in almost all waxes, (needed to carry the actual wax/sealant), will tend to remove some of the previous coat of product. Hand application supposedly lessens that effect.
    Sounds reasonable, but I have no idea. I just do it however the mood strikes me. Since I seem to apply another coat every month anyway, it probably isn`t going to make a big difference.
    :dunno
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why?

Originally posted by Dalton
    Why do most people put their first coat of wax/sealant on by PC and follow up coats by hand. I have read many posts to this effect. If there are no abrasives or cleaning action (PB EX-P) in the product you are using then it would not strip the prior coats.

Just curious
    I use the PC to apply polish....it polishes better but I apply the EX-P by hand because I think it goes quicker, easier, don`t have to mess with a cord, don`t need to have the aggressive action of a polisher to wipe on sealant.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the size of the vehicle, I will find myself applying a wax and/or sealant by hand and by PC. I did a test on my own car, unfortuately, the thread got deleted when DC changed over, but the side applied with the PC had a different water beading pattern than the one by hand. Basically, the one with the PC looked as if it was being kept up better. Did it penetrate more? Probably, but after that, I just apply by hand usually.

Jim is right on with the PC. I use it mostly for polishing purposes--by hand, good luck getting those results. As for waxing and sealing, it almost can take longer to work the PC.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes we lost a lot of good threads with that slip of the finger:nono

All waxes use a solvent as a carrier and/or softener of wax....wax by nature is as hard as a candle and wouldn`t spread very well. By using the speed and friction caused by a pc rotating, you are removing some of the previous products, how much is impossible to say. Some who do apply their waxes and sealants with a pc for the first layer will sometimes see a smoother more level application of theri products, and as Nick said if left at that point can produce a different beading effect.
    As Charles said if you are not looking for long term durability and plan on reapplying on a fairly often basis, it will not matter.
    As far as putting on additional coats, and I won`t use the term "layering" here, what you are really doing is thickening the product to give better and more even coverage.
    What`s a good reason to put more coats on? Well most if not all of you have some orange peel (high and low spots) on your finish...the more you have of orange peel the more beneficial the coats will seem, as you continue to level off the finish...doing by hand gives you more product left behind vs using the machine to push the products into these high and low spots.
    I hope this is helpful
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information