"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

solvents in waxes

I have not done any research into the solvent levels in different waxes. I have a few different waxes, some soft, some hard and some liquid.

Generally speaking, I like to apply a sealant as a base protection but notice that bugs and water spots are more difficult to remove from a sealant than from a wax so I will either apply a wax on the areas most affected by bug splatter such as the front of the car and the side mirrors or I will just apply a wax over the entire coating of fully cured paint sealant.

I like to apply a wax by using a 4" finishing pad on my G110V2 on the slowest speed setting. This allows for the coat of wax to be applied very thin and therefore it is easier to remove the remaining residue. While applying the wax one day I got to wondering if the solvents in certain waxes would remove the fully cured paint sealant. Common sense tells me that if Dawn dish washing liquid will remove paint sealant (which I am not fully convinced that it will) then a wax that smells like it should strip paint such as Collinite`s # 845 Insulator Wax must smell that way because of high levels of solvents and it surely would remove the fully cured paint sealant if over aggressively applied.

Ok I`ll go back to my own wax collection for a minute and ask this question. Just because a particular wax is harder than another wax, does it necessarily mean that the harder wax contains less solvents than the softer wax? On the flip side of that question, just because a wax is soft like warm butter does it necessarily mean that it contains a high level of solvents?

When I use a wax, I do so for the appearance and ease of washing more so than for the protection of it so It doesn`t matter to me how long a wax lasts on my own car so the durability or longevity of a wax is not in question as far as this thread is concerned. I just want to hear what you DC members think or know about the solvent levels in different waxes. So the end question is, will a softer wax contain more solvents and will it remove a fully cured application of paint sealant if applied by machine. I intend on doing a quick pass with Pro Polish and applying a thorough coat of EX-P while at the Poorboy`s Detail Weekend. A few days after that I will begin testing with hard and soft waxes being applied by machine.

If you folks have any thoughts or knowlege on this topic, please post them.
    Thanks, TD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: solvents in waxes

If you`re worried about it, spit shine it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    If you`re worried about it, spit shine it.
    I am not worried about it, I just would like to know about it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d like to think that the less solvents in a wax, the harder a "brick" it would be, but I`m just guessing. I have no proof or scientific tests that would confirm that. I`m sure one of our independent chemists knows the answer and can give you a scientifically approved answer.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: solvents in waxes

They all use a binder or some sort of something I would think in with the wax. Wax will not take the form that we use without a binder I guess dunno. If so why is it in flake form before its melted down? what would hold it together and not turn it to a crumble form?

If ya think anyone will be honest and tell there wax making process think again. I guess its all a trade secret...

On the other hand the wax made here by a guy I know is very moist and like a "grits" consistency on the applicator. I have seen him make the stuff and its a liquid when he adds it to the jars to ship out. Its a nice product but cant say weather he adds anything to the bag of flakes? He tells people he doesn`t but like everything else who really knows but him?

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The first point to ponder is about the solvents themselves. Not all waxes have the same solvents in them. With this in mind, Wax A could have more of the solvent that Wax A Company uses than the solvent in Wax B from a different company has in it, but Wax A may not affect previous coats of wax nearly as much as Wax B due to Wax B having a stronger solvent in it. (Was this confusing enough? )
    As an illustrative example, water has been called the universal solvent. If you had a container with 5 gallons of water in it and another container with a cup of, let`s say... kerosene in it, which container of "solvent" would be more likely to adversely affect your previous coat of wax if you poured the entire contents of each container on your car?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr View Post
    The first point to ponder is about the solvents themselves. Not all waxes have the same solvents in them. With this in mind, Wax A could have more of the solvent that Wax A Company uses than the solvent in Wax B from a different company has in it, but Wax A may not affect previous coats of wax nearly as much as Wax B due to Wax B having a stronger solvent in it. (Was this confusing enough? )
    As an illustrative example, water has been called the universal solvent. If you had a container with 5 gallons of water in it and another container with a cup of, let`s say... kerosene in it, which container of "solvent" would be more likely to adversely affect your previous coat of wax if you poured the entire contents of each container on your car?

thats a trick question... the answer is container c the one with 1 teaspoon full of sulfuric acid in it...

tricky one BL.. but you need to wake up pretty early in the morning to outsmart me!
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i scared everyone away..
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Gus View Post
    i think i scared everyone away..
    I think there are too many words to read.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Thread Information