Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Any wax that works fills to some degree

The topic of waxes and filling comes up often enough that it deserves it`s own thread in Hot Topics to help remove any confusion. Most of the confusion can be found on other forums where someone is trying to make the case that any wax that fill is a bad thing.

That`s convoluted thinking and it would be interesting to see how someone could explain how a wax or a paint sealant can leave its protection ingredients behind on the surface and not fill or coat over at the same time?

You see, any wax or paint sealant that works, that is any wax or paint sealant that leaves itself behind to protect the paint, (and isn`t that the purpose of wax or a paint sealant, to leave itself behind?), is going to fill, (at least to some level), because it`s coating over and bonding or adhering to the paint.

This being true, and so far no one has ever proved it`s not true, then if a wax or paint sealant is really working then it`s filling to some degree because it`s leaving itself behind on the surface and thus coating over the surface and filling in low areas.

Conversely, any wax or paint sealant that`s not leaving itself behind is not filling and thus it`s not working and if this is the case it`s time to quit using that product and move on to a product that`s actually working.

"Any wax that works fills to some degree"

That doesn`t mean the purpose of a wax is to fill as the purpose of a quality wax or paint sealant is to protect, filling is just a physical characteristic of how it protects.

Anytime you find yourself on another forum and someone is trying to convince you or others that a wax that fills is a bad thing, then share the link to this thread with them and see if they can make their case that what is written here is wrong. In other words see if they can make the case that a wax or paint sealant that doesn`t leave itself behind is actually working, that is it`s actually doing what it`s supposed to be doing.

Hope this clears up any confusion...

"Find something you like and use it often"

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Any wax that works fills to some degree

How do you respond when the owner of the car you just finished detailing asks you

"How long will the wax on my vehicle last?"

This is a nearly impossible question to answer, as there are so many variables, such as...
    Is the car parked in the sun all day?
    Is the car parked under trees all day?
    Is the car garaged when not in use?
    Is the car in an urban/suburban/rural setting?
    Is the car parked in an industrial area?
    Is the car parked in a dusty environment?
    Is the car parked in a salt air environment, near the ocean?
    Is the car parked near railroad tracks or a major highway?
    Are the roads paved, dirt or gravel?
    Is there construction going on in the area?
    Do you hand wash the car or take it to the car wash?
    What do you use to wash the car?
    How well is the paint prepared to accept wax? (Wax will stick better to clean paint versus dirty, stained, contaminated paint)
    If you take your car through a car wash, what kind of car wash? Touch-less? Hand Wash? Spinning Brushes?

The list of questions has the potential to go on and on!

I know what I tell my clients.. I am curious as to what you tell yours? ....I BET THIS WILL BE GOOD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any wax that works fills to some degree

I tell my clients (the few who ask) that the wax may hide the appearance of fine swirls with the oils, but those oils will evaporate in a matter of days and the swirls will reappear. I don`t use waxes that have specific fillers in them other than the natural oils that you can`t avoid and 90% of the time I`m using sealants anyway, so it doesn`t come up much.

When they ask me how long it will last I usually just let them know the average is 4 to 6 weeks for a daily driver that spends time in the sun and rain, but it depends on the conditions. I recommend that they wax once a month regardless of the conditions or the amount of driving if they want to keep it looking fresh, but again, I typically use sealants so it doesn`t matter quite as much.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Thread Information