Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys Sealant Durabiltiy

How durable is Ex and EX-P as compared to Klasse and Zaino? Will the two sealants and Poorboys SSR stain plastic and rubber trim? Also, which SSR is closest to #83 and #82?

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTDiesel
    How durable is Ex and EX-P as compared to Klasse and Zaino? Will the two sealants and Poorboys SSR stain plastic and rubber trim? Also, which SSR is closest to #83 and #82?

Thanks for the help!
    Hard to speak about durability of any product IMO with environmental factors, washing habbits, etc. I have personally seen EX on a white car that is stored indoors, driven VERY rarely (<5000K per year), and washed about once a month last for 9 months and still beading very strongly. Could be a freak occurence, just don`t know.

I have not had any problems with them staining trim. I do wipe away immediately.

SSR2.5 is close to #83. #83 is a tad bit more aggressive IMO, but 2.5 is easier to work with and leaves a better finsh.

IMO SSR2 is closest to #82, but again easier to work with. Especially when working with the PC, with the rotary I prefer the meguiars products.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help!
    Some people report 3-5 months out of EX/EX-P. I`ve never had it on my paint long enough to tell since I`m always trying new combos. EX will stain if you leave it on long enough because it contains carnauba, but if you wipe it off right away, it will be fine. EX-P wipes off too.

AFAIK, SSR2.5 is *slightly* more abrasive than #83.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m averaging about 4 months of durability for EX and EX-P before the products show signs of wear. The carnauba glow of EX begins to fade around the 2-3 month mark, but the slickness and beading remain. In comparison, 2 coats of Klasse SG have lasted over 6 months. All my vehicles are garaged at night. My durability requirements are 3-4 months for the Northeastern US winters (this is assuming that there will be at least one or two warm spells during which I can apply a fresh layer of protectant). As a result, maximum durability is not my primary goal. Instead, my goal is to find the most eye pleasing combo (in my subjective opinion) which meets my minimum durability requirements.

I haven`t found EX or EX-P to excessively stain trim, but there have been minor bits of residue here and there. These can be avoided by wiping the trim off soon after application. Since both products need about 30-60 minutes of drying time, I use this opportunity to wipe the trim and dress the tires & wheel wells.

SSR2.5 and DACP are fairly similar in abrasiveness, but SSR2.5 breaks down sooner into a finer polish. I have not tried #82, so I can`t provide any useful comparisons there. I can say that SSR2 seems to be much less aggressive than SSR2.5.

Boss_429
    Some recent tests earlier this year lead a friend and I to the following "observations" (not necessarily facts )

EX and NXT seemed to lose their beading, looks, and slickness first.
    EX-P, UPP took longer to lose their beading, looks, and slickness.
    Zaino and Klasse were the last to lose those characteristics.

Keep in mind that nothing was done to the vehicle to "try" and make the product last longer. A neutral car wash (no wax, polymers, or gloss enhancers in the wash) was used. The vehicle was washed/dried carefully once a week, and no QD`s or Quick Waxes/Booster waxes were applied.

Does that mean that any of those products wasn`t protecting when it lost those characteristics.............. who knows? :dunno
    Does it mean that one should choose Klasse or Zaino over the others on those merits alone................. Nope!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help!
    Direct answer to your questions: Ex and Ex-P are not as durable as Zaino and Klasse, thats why many people Zaino and Klasse over the winter months or as a base sealant, topped with another product.

Can`t help you on the SSR`s, just ordered some this week and will be testing soon.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd330
    I`m averaging about 4 months of durability for EX and EX-P before the products show signs of wear. The carnauba glow of EX begins to fade around the 2-3 month mark, but the slickness and beading remain. In comparison, 2 coats of Klasse SG have lasted over 6 months. All my vehicles are garaged at night. My durability requirements are 3-4 months for the Northeastern US winters (this is assuming that there will be at least one or two warm spells during which I can apply a fresh layer of protectant). As a result, maximum durability is not my primary goal. Instead, my goal is to find the most eye pleasing combo (in my subjective opinion) which meets my minimum durability requirements.

I haven`t found EX or EX-P to excessively stain trim, but there have been minor bits of residue here and there. These can be avoided by wiping the trim off soon after application. Since both products need about 30-60 minutes of drying time, I use this opportunity to wipe the trim and dress the tires & wheel wells.

SSR2.5 and DACP are fairly similar in abrasiveness, but SSR2.5 breaks down sooner into a finer polish. I have not tried #82, so I can`t provide any useful comparisons there. I can say that SSR2 seems to be much less aggressive than SSR2.5.
    Marj, whats your maintenance regimen? I just can`t seem to get that kind of durability out of the PB sealents...
    Last edited by TheSopranos16; 09-23-2004 at 10:29 PM.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSopranos16
    Marj, whats your maintenance regimen? I just can`t seem to get that kind of durability out of the PB sealents...
    I use S&W for light cleaning. If it hasn`t rained, I`ll substitute a 3:1 mixture of S&W and Meg`s Final Detail for a quick sprucing up. If the car is moderately dirty, then I will do a traditional hose and bucket wash. I`ve used several different types of shampoos. I tend to prefer washes that are very slick and rinse off easily. My cars are all garaged at night, so that will probably extend the durability timeframe for any of my LSPs. EX also needs occasional use of a carnauba based QD spray to maintain the carnauba glow. I`ll use QD+ over EX about once a month for this purpose. I don`t normally use QD+ over EX-P. I`d rather use FD with EX-P.

Post Thanks / Like
    How does UPP, another sealant I`ve seen discussed here, hold up compared to Klasse and Zaino? Will a wax topper increase or decrease the life of the sealant?

Boss_429
    UPP gives me about the same durability as EX-P......... very good, but not as good as Klasse or Zaino.

Sometimes a wax topper can add additional durability......... sometimes it won`t. Much depends on the topper, and the sealant being used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any opinions on FMJ compared to the others?
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keeotee
    Any opinions on FMJ compared to the others?
    I plan to try FMJ for the first time tomorrow. Ask me again in a few months.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like
    keeotee: I`m doing a simple side-by-side test of EX-P, UPP, SG, and FMJ.

The 1/2 the hood & DS of car is FMJ, 1/2 the hood & PS of car is SG, the roof & front bumper is UPP, and the trunk lid & rear bumper is EX-P.

I`ll be doing a minimum of 2 layers, three if there`s time & then I`m going to wait for snow, ice, and Santa.

The only measure I have of durability is beading, so the last one that`s still beading in the spring has to be the most durable.

I will say FMJ is a joy to apply by PC .... it almost feels like I`m holding the PC 2" off the surface ... there`s almost so resistance when applying.

Taking FMJ off feels the same way ... almost no resistance when removing with MF.

Subsequent layers of all products will be applied by hand, I don`t want to remove a smidgen of anything.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like
    i just did fmj on my car (2 layers), and i plan on doing about 6 layers before winter comes... i dont know how the durability will be, but im guessing it will last for winter... im guessing 1 layer of fmj should last longer than either 1 layer of klasse or poorboys... correct??

Thread Information