The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What makes a "boutique" car care product "boutique"?

Rather than hi-jack my own thread, I thought this spin-off might prove interesting.
    Like the title says, how do you define a boutique car care product?
    Is it price?
    Is it limited production?
    A fancy name?
    Promotion by big names?
    Could it be OTC and boutique?
    Or does it need to be sold on-line?

I guess I shouldn`t ask a question I can`t answer and I really have no idea.
    I don`t really consider what I use to be "boutique", but some of them aren`t cheap to buy. They are reasonable in cost per application so I consider that in making my choices.
    Optimum Opti-Seal being a good example. Price per ounce makes it seem expensive, price per application makes it quite reasonable, bordering on inexpensive.
    Four Star UPP fell in that same category when I was using it.
    FWIW, Opti-Seal is the most expensive single product I have purchased. I have bought it twice and probably will buy it again. Depends on what new product/products hit the market.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What makes a "boutique" car care product "boutique"?

"Boutiques" tend to be more speacialized for their market.

When I think of Boutique products (not just car care products) it is something that is sold exclusively and not found in just any store.

I work for an AV company that could be considered a " Boutique" and the products we sell are not easy to acquire as a store front. The manufacturer realizes that their product is not for every one but for those people that have a true love of what they are buying.
    POLLEN is Evil

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For me i would say not sold otc, but there are a few exceptions to that like any tv infomercial product. Also quality of the product is the biggest factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Boutique - I feel like it`s a small, specialized line that`s not largely distributed. Might be wrong in my assumption, but that`s how I define it.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll agree wiht the 3 posts ahead of me.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Boutique - I feel like it`s a small, specialized line that`s not largely distributed. Might be wrong in my assumption, but that`s how I define it.
    Pretty darned close. I think price might be an additional factor.

OT: I just noticed your new avatar and "title". Are you currently on a crusade? Is it limited to pork, or smoked meats in general?

Also, it is the least disturbing avatar that I recall you host.

06 GX470 titanium silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When I think of boutique products in general, they are products which are specially designed to be above the general OTC offerings. They may be available in a specialty shop window, that caters to a specific market, and they will undoubtedly be more expensive than their general OTC counterparts. Willians Sonoma, Ralph Lauren, L.L. Bean, Burberry all are "boutique" shops in my mind.

The biggest question is do they perform better, and is the performance worth the price of admission. I think that is the best part of belonging to a forum like Detailcity. Researching the products out there, and determining price/performance differences. Without listening to others, reading reviews, discussing pros/cons of products, most of us would be broke very quickly with the cost of some of these products.

There comes a point when something cannot be perfected any further without a new breakthrough in science. Is a $700 wax really any beter than a $25 wax? Based on several reviews I`ve read, Ronh`s review of swissvax included, leads me to believe there is always a limit to how much better a product can possibly be.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it is a combo of all of the above plus the marketing/packaging/price of the item AS compared to the competition.

Where they sell the sizzle not the steak as they say.

Marketing, packaging that proport benefits that a hard to define and sometimes backed by an industry expert, celeb or credible individual designed to make the buyier feel good about the money they will be parting with.

I am in the commercial janitorial supply business and I can tell you that many times the packaging (bottle, box, cap and advertising) and labor cost as much as what is in the bottle! I have no reason to believe that the same is not true in most industries (cosmetics, cologne, soft drinks). My under armor shirts dont wear any better that the Models dry fit no name for 70% less but I like them anyway!

Lets face it, advertising works. For me hands on demos work becasue I like to buy what I see that works for me. I may miss a winner once and a while but thats why I join these boards. I feel like a know some of the guys a DC, Megs on line and Autopia. After lurking, reading and posting you can see who is there for what reasons and use that info to factor you decisions.

I will stop now since I am quite sure I and steaming off topic!

Have a good day!

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to define OTC first. I think OTC usually means a product where price is much more important than performance. In the retail appearance place, shelf space/price is king. The commercial detailing business is about mass quantities (cheap gallons) The major players Turtle Wax, Meguiars, Mothers, SOPUS (owns Black Magic) fight over this space as their primary channel. The relied less on internet sales. Many consumers do not want to pay more that much for wax since they may use it once and sits on the shelf so min out of pocket expense is key.

Therefore boutique to me is everything that is not the above. It is more about performnace than price and often sells mostly via internet sellers with limited distribution and rely on word of mouth advertising over brand name and product positioning (in stores).

I think what has happened is the market has changed dramatically with newer technology products and the internet (a way to sell them to consumers). Some comanies like Meguiars is working both sides. Mothers seems still more focused on the retail channel. The lines are blurring as much more expensive products are being sold in some parts stores.

Al
    The Need to Bead

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    ...I think what has happened is the market has changed dramatically with newer technology products and the internet (a way to sell them to consumers). Some comanies like Meguiars is working both sides. Mothers seems still more focused on the retail channel. The lines are blurring as much more expensive products are being sold in some parts stores.
    What caused you to arrive at this this assumption (vs. Meguiar`s)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    What caused you to arrive at this this assumption (vs. Meguiar`s)?
    Not very clear thinking. I retract that opinion.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information