how much product?
    what pad?
    Spread?
    Speed?
    Pressure?
    Passes?
    Any water or qd?
    Etc.

I have used the 105, 205 with my flex for the first time. I did a test section on a red 02 Honda odyssey with outstanding results. then this pass Saturday I did a test section on a black Lexus I think it`s 03 -04 LS 430. The Lexus didn`t finish as nice. I need a good finishing technique. I believe 205 will finish out nicely, I may just have to adjust my tech. I used Orange CSS with 105, and Black CCS with 205.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: finishing with 205?

Quote Originally Posted by cheapshot View Post
    How do you finish with 205?
    what machine?
    how much product?
    what pad?
    Spread?
    Speed?
    Pressure?
    Passes?
    Any water or qd?
    Etc.

I have used the 105, 205 with my flex for the first time. I did a test section on a red 02 Honda odyssey with outstanding results. then this pass Saturday I did a test section on a black Lexus I think it`s 03 -04 LS 430. The Lexus didn`t finish as nice. I need a good finishing technique. I believe 205 will finish out nicely, I may just have to adjust my tech. I used Orange CSS with 105, and Black CCS with 205.

Thanks
    I`m an M80 fanatic but since I`ve started using M205 and learning how to use it more and more, I might be replacing M80 with M205 for most jobs. M80 finishes down a bit better on some softer paints but M205 is right behind. To answer your questions...

Machine: Makita rotary
    Amount of product: prime the whole pad, then only a small amount, an X on the pad with very thin lines
    Pad: usually LC white on soft-med paints or M8006 on harder paints... if I`m doing a 3-4 step, I`ll use it on LC black or M9006, again depending on paint
    Spread: I tap the pad on the surface to be polished and spread lightly with the machine off
    Speed: I use speed 2 (900RPM) to spread, then bump it up to speed 3 (1500RPM) for 2-4 passes, down to 1200 for a pass, and slow pass at 900 to finish down
    Pressure: lots of pressure during the first couple passes at 1500RPM, then ease off gradually as I move to 900RPM
    Passes: explained above.
    No water or QD used as lubricants
    -Ivan
    LUSTR Auto Detail
    "Always start with the least aggressive method!"

Post Thanks / Like

Using a PC 7424, white LC flat 4" pad, put a line across the pad and use a mf towel to prime the 205 into the pad, start with 1-2 small pea size dots, I start with speed 6 for bout 3 passes with pressure, then back down to speed 3 with only the weight of the PC for another 3 passes

Post Thanks / Like

I see both of you use LC white. Is the LC white more or less aggressive then there CCS black or charcoal pad?

do you use anything on the pad, such as water or QD?

Sal MF to prime the pad?

ivopivo, i`m also a big #80 fan, love the look, polishes nice with PC and finishes like #7.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cheapshot View Post
    I see both of you use LC white. Is the LC white more or less aggressive then there CCS black or charcoal pad?

do you use anything on the pad, such as water or QD?

Sal MF to prime the pad?

ivopivo, i`m also a big #80 fan, love the look, polishes nice with PC and finishes like #7.
    LC white is more aggressive than the black (CCS is still LC just different design) and I`m not sure about what charcoal pad you`re referring to... I prime the pad with the polish and never use water or QD.

As for #80, it`s a great polish in that it does a great job correcting paint while finishing down great, but don`t expect the same finish with M205 because M80 has a lot of fillers that give it a glazed look once wiped down, whereas M205 simply corrects and finishes down well, leaving only a bit left over. I guess what I`m trying to say is that they`re very similar in initial cut and finish if you do an IPA wipe down after M80, but not if you only wipe off the polish residue.
    -Ivan
    LUSTR Auto Detail
    "Always start with the least aggressive method!"

Post Thanks / Like

I tried another test section today with 205, I primed the pad evenly and rubbed it in with my hand, I then spread the polish at speed 2.5 on the flex, I then did one pass with nice amount of pressure on speed 4.2, stoped misted my pad with final inspection, and continued polishing, lightening the pressure for 3 or four more passes.

conclusion:
    I believe it works better with no added water or QD. final inspection seems to really wet the polish with just a little mist. It reduced the amout of cut or polishing dramaticly.

I am really curious to know exact methods being used at meguiars with PC or flex.

If anyone else could post that would be great!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used M205 once so far and used it just like the label on the product and Mike Phillips demo`ed it at Detail Fest.

My set up was a UDM (the original one) and a Meg`s 2.0 black finishing pad. I spritzed the pad once with ONR then applied a polish in an x patter then rubbed the pad without turning it on to spread the polish a bit. I turned the machine on to speed 4 to spread using the machine with just one quick pass and then switched to speed 5 medium high pressure for 4 passes and then back to 3 lighter pressure for two passes.

I cleaned the pad after every other panel but did not apply water or detailer again.

It gave me very consistent results since the breakdown was very predictable. If it dries out, I would just add a bit more polish or work a smaller area. A smaller pad (like 5-in) seemed to cause the polish to break down quicker.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

bunky, I find your process to be pretty accurate to my findings, after using it a little more. I however spray a mist or two every 4 to 5 sections.

My post above(#6) was not accurate, because there was a little water in the pad, which really made a huge difference. I thought this was the FI mist on the pad, However the polishing pad was still wet.

I really like 205, it`s a very nice polish to work with. I am really comparing it to Meg`s 80 line, and a few others that are mentioned on the boards. It has very nice correcting ability and finishes down pretty nice. I am looking into trying a few finishing products, to see just how far I could go.

Thread Information