Post Thanks / Like

Stop Sun Fading on New "Flame Red" Jeep

Hi, I bought a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited one month ago. So far I`ve just washed it once a week and two weeks ago used Meguiar`s cleaner wax.

To prevent sunfade since I don`t have a garage, would Klasse High Glaze Sealant every six months be enough? I don`t want to polish yet since the paint is perfect so far. I just mainly want to know if the sealant is enough protection or should I also periodically apply wax. The top, fenders, bumpers and interior will all have 303 Aerospace Protectant applied regularly.

So, to keep it simple, is this enough if I wash it every week?

Thanks.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stop Sun Fading on New "Flame Red" Jeep

i think that would work good ...if you want to really get into detailing you can add claying/ polish and other products to your arsenal ..good luck
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have an old (`91) Toyota 4x4 that`s red and has faded to pink. My wife seems to think that red paint fades very easily, but it`s my understanding that it`s just oxidation and red shouldn`t necessarily oxidize more than any other color. Is that right?

I might order some more detailing products to experiment on my old truck. I`m curious to know who much it could be brought back from pink to red again.

As far as the Jeep goes, I just want to protect it from the start so it doesn`t end up looking like my truck.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out this thread, It is an older toyota (red) pickup that I did. They do come back. I believe that if it was protected on a regular basis it would not have looked like that. Happy Waxing, TD
    http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...-detailed.html

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Every six months with Klasse`s Sealant should be fine. If I were you I would make it every 4 months just to be safe. A good polishing initially will do wonders to even new paint so I would also consider that if you want your Jeep to looks it`s best.

You stick with doing that and you won`t have an oxidation problem.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to get the Toyota back to red - There used to be an old post where Anthony (Jngrbrdman) did one that looked like that and when he was done it looked like it rolled out of a paint booth.

I think I remember reading where red (single stage) was more prone to oxidize, but I can`t remember where I read that at.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered Klasse All in One and the Klasse Sealant Glaze, so I`m definitely going to polish the Jeep before I seal it. I also ordered a gallon of 303 since I can only get the 16 oz. bottle locally and it is cheaper to buy more at once (and since every spring I wash the vinyl siding on my house, I may try treating it with 303 this year too).

A couple days ago I bought some Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound at wal-mart. I`ve been using it with a Meguiar`s yellow foam pad on my old faded truck, polishing a small section at a time and the results have been AMAZING! I had no idea my truck could still look red. It almost doesn`t even look like the same truck. Of course, it still has plenty of rust on the tail gate and bottoms of the doors, but the paint is as bright as my Jeep. I`ve been spending about 5 to 10 minutes buffing each section, wiping the excess compound off with a moist microfiber towel, then buffing it till it shines with another dry microfiber towel. Dave, thanks for the inspiration on that Toyota truck, the difference was night and day.

I think I`ll wait until the Klasse Sealant Glaze arrives then use it on the truck. Other than that I just have some Meguiar`s cleaner wax, so I`m assuming the sealant would probably be better than that? Anyway, the Ultimate Compound makes the surface smooth as glass. I actually didn`t clay the surface before using it. I just washed and started in and the results have still been great so far.

Thanks for the responses and the inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like

I detailed the Jeep today using Klasse All in One and Sealant Glaze. The paint really shines now, I`ve heard it described as a hard candy look and I`d agree with that. The product I really like is the Klasse AIO. This stuff goes on smooth and buffs off much easier than the SG.

I was really paranoid about using the SG so I`m not sure I used enough of it. I put a tiny amount of SG on the slightly damp foam pad and spread it around. I let it dry for about half an hour before buffing off. It didn`t buff off nearly as easy as the AIO but it did come off okay.

I may do another layer of SG tomorrow and use slightly more than I did this time. I used so little that on some of the paint I couldn`t really even see it. I wonder if that`s normal?

Also, is it necessary to wash the vehicle again before I put another layer of SG on as long as I don`t drive it? Do most people use a quick detailer first?

Also, has anyone used AIO diluted with water to make a quick detailer? I read a review of the product where the reviewer said he did that.

Post Thanks / Like

A second coat should be a good idea. Not sure I would necessarilly use more. This will insure coverage, but ease of wipe off.

I would wash the vehicle again. If you haven`t driven it and it sat in a garage all night I wouldn;t wash, just qd.

I havent done the aoi dilute, but Ihave heard of people mixing some in wash bucket and using it to wsh car with. IMHO that may strip some of the old protection off.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information