Thread: Swirl marks

Post Thanks / Like

Swirl marks

Hey guys,
    my girlfriend`s car is a black lexuz,the car is only a couple of years old but the paint job was not tken care of. Additionally, she crashed it and had it repaired and cleaned by the body shop.

A few weeks ago I polished it with my PC 7424 and poorboys pro polish. Afterwards the paint revealed some swirl marks. What could have caused this? I think they were there already.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl marks

I`d say that the swirl marks were there.
    I would suggest that you make a few more passes with the PP and you`ll get them out.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    I would suggest that you make a few more passes with the PP and you`ll get them out.
    Bingo......
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    With a more aggressive pad ?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would start with a white pad first.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion.
    Spend some time on one area/panel until you find a combination that does the job, then do the rest of the vehicle.
    I don`t know anything about what the pad colors mentioned mean, but a polishing pad will take care of a lot of defects.
    One other thing to keep in mind. A PC is slow. It takes some time to do any serious correction. 20 minutes with a PC will do about the same amount of correction as 5 minutes with a rotary.
    From the other side, 5 minutes with a rotary can do as much damage as hours with a PC if you don`t know how to use one properly.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    I would start with a white pad first.
    My guess would be that he was using a polishing pad, not the most aggressive so it may take a few SLOW passes to remove the defects.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billy0001 View Post
    Hey guys,
    my girlfriend`s car is a black lexuz,the car is only a couple of years old but the paint job was not tken care of. Additionally, she crashed it and had it repaired and cleaned by the body shop.

A few weeks ago I polished it with my PC 7424 and poorboys pro polish. Afterwards the paint revealed some swirl marks. What could have caused this? I think they were there already.

Thanks.
    Since this paint has not been taken care of I would be willing to bet you are talking about more than simple swirl marks. You`re probably referring to marring or scratches caused by improper washing and everyday use. Your mention of body work tells me that you`re dealing with atleast a partial repaint and probably some deep swirls caused by a sloppy body shop.

As far as what could have caused them from what you did... Was your pad dirty? Was the paint surface clean? Could particles have been introduced at some point during your polishing?

Being a mobile detailer, I have to find shade under a tree sometimes and that can sometimes present a challenge when it comes to polishing the paint. Many times you have stuff falling out of the tree as your polishing.

So how do you fix it?...

Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,

I know I need to have a guide on my store.

Soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Troy,
    no contaminants were introduced to the pads or polish. The paint job was not washed regularly and it certantly was not polished or waxed at all. I`ll give it a another pass withe the PC and really spend some time on each section.

What washing soap are you guys using? I usually use meguiers from advance auto.

Thnxs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    5 minutes with a rotary can do as much damage as hours with a PC if you don`t know how to use one properly.
    A few seconds can cause major problems if you are very careless!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billy0001 View Post
    Troy,
    no contaminants were introduced to the pads or polish. The paint job was not washed regularly and it certantly was not polished or waxed at all. I`ll give it a another pass withe the PC and really spend some time on each section.

What washing soap are you guys using? I usually use meguiers from advance auto.

Thnxs
    Meg`s Gold Class, probably the same stuff you are talking about, since I buy mine at Pepboys also. Good Stuff no reason to change.

Thread Information