The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax/sealant schedule?

While surfing a different site during my "time off", I read a post about an interesting and different approach to polishing and waxing/sealing.
    The individual did a full swirl removal, cleaner polish, wax/seal procedure once a year. In his instance, I believe he used Collinite as his LSP, but I`m sure several products have similar longevity to the Collinite.
    For the remainder of the year, he washed as needed and used a spray wax at least once a month. He felt the Collinite boosted by the regular applications of the spray wax had done a good job of protecting and his vehicle definitely looked good.
    My present practice calls for a full detail spring and fall with LSP applied monthly. I also use a spray wax quite often during my wash process.

It has worked for years, but that is one of the reasons I was interested in his less labor intensive method of paint care. Those years have caused me to slow down a little and doing a little less might allow me to do it a little longer.
    Comments?

Charles

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax/sealant schedule?

I think his schedule would work. My only question would be how does it hold up in the winter.
    My schedule is spring and fall with several layers of sealant then wax like .Is this necessary? Probably not but I like it and like doing it.
    I a freshly waxed car.
    "I`m staying out of it."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    I think his schedule would work. My only question would be how does it hold up in the winter.
    My schedule is spring and fall with several layers of sealant then wax like .Is this necessary? Probably not but I like it and like doing it.
    I a freshly waxed car.
    Being able to heat my garage lets me do some work during the winter. This keeps me from having to rely on a process that has to last for several months under harsh conditions.
    Normally, I can use my regular LSP every 4 to 6 weeks and occasionally the spray wax after a wash whenever I do one.
    Maybe the spray wax would be all that is necessary all year with a good LSP to start with as a base.
    Will the spray waxes stand up 2 to 4 weeks during an Iowa winter?
    I may find out this year.

Charles

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My car gets it once a yr, but for customers it`s twice a yr for them after a complete detail on the outside.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Being able to heat my garage lets me do some work during the winter.
    Man that would be nice to have a heat garage to go to in the winter time,so i could get out of the house and not have to do HONEY DO LIST

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure he`s seeing 12 months of durability of Collinte. He may be fooled by the beading properties of his spray wax into thinking the Collinite is still underneath. I will admit I could be wrong here and his conditions are pristine for Collinite to last that long but I would be skeptical especially if its a DD. I`m the 4-6 months guy also just to insure I have full performance protection on mine and my customers.
    Tampa, FL

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pander5 View Post
    I`m not sure he`s seeing 12 months of durability of Collinte. He may be fooled by the beading properties of his spray wax into thinking the Collinite is still underneath. I will admit I could be wrong here and his conditions are pristine for Collinite to last that long but I would be skeptical especially if its a DD. I`m the 4-6 months guy also just to insure I have full performance protection on mine and my customers.
    I don`t think he necessarily thinks the Collinite lasts the full 12 months, but that the combination of Collinite and the spray wax together are giving him 12 months of protection. It kind of sounds plausible since I have heard of people using a spray wax as a stand alone with some success.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a few posts where someone says that product x gets 6 months and then say they use a spray wax or other gloss enhancing detailer on an occassional basis as if it had not bearing on the results.

Al
    The Need to Bead

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I have seen a few posts where someone says that product x gets 6 months and then say they use a spray wax or other gloss enhancing detailer on an occassional basis as if it had no bearing on the results.
    Since I have no actual way of knowing, I can`t truly debate the issue.
    My personal opinion is that the spray waxes/sealants do have a bearing on the original LSP.
    Besides, the spray wax gives the vehicle that "Just waxed look".
    The fact that like me, it is cheap and easy, makes me like it even more.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of spray waxes/detailers . I find that it keeps my car looking top notch all the time without a lot of work. My son does the same thing , he seldoms waxes his car , but he spray waxes all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Charles,

I can`t believe that you are admitting to slowing down. I too am slowing down -- but just a bit.

I have found that a spring marring/swirl removal is all that I need to do -- too may washes at the coin-op followed by QEW. Usually I use Meguiar`s #80 followed by NXT 2.0. for this spring detail. The rest of the year I use just NXT 2.0 or ColorX applied with a pc and polishing pad. I apply these products every 6-8 weeks now that both of my vehicles stay in the garage a lot. It only takes me about an hour to do my big Dodge and less time on my wife`s Tacoma

I tend not to use a QD`s all that often. No matter what other folks say, I think QD`s can instill marring pretty easily. (I live on a dusty gravel road.)

The best solution to the "labor intensive" problem is to buy white vehicles.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry at Duragloss claims that their AW will make the LSP last longer.
    I think it would be hard to find a spray on product that will give more durability than what AW will.
    Spray wax that has carnuba wont for sure last like AW
    If you wash every week and then used AW I`m sure you can go all winter without adding LSP

Thread Information