The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question MF Towels, Rinseless, waterless washing?

It is interesting to me to read how many people are using waffle weave micro fiber towels for rinseless or waterless washes.
    The instructions on every rinseless/waterless product I have used state very clearly to use a terry weave towel.
    Seemed tome that the manufacturer should have a pretty good idea as to what works best, so I follow those instructions. It made sense to me that the nap would do a better job of keeping the dirt picked up by the MF away from the paint.
    Works good for me and I use them often.

Do the people that use and recommend the waffle weave towels for rinseless or waterless washing not bother to read the instructions or do they feel they actually get better results?
    Isn`t the idea behind the WW towels to absorb more moisture and aid in drying?
    Anyone have any idea as to why WW would even be considered for rinseless or waterless washing?

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF Towels, Rinseless, waterless washing?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Anyone have any idea as to why WW would even be considered for waterless washing?
    I think it depends on how dirty the vehicle is ... most people equate WW with drying, but i do know many who use them for glass too ... If there is not too much dirt, i guess it can clean and pull the waterless wash off at the same time
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: MF Towels, Rinseless, waterless washing?

Thanks Charles, I have yet to try rinseless or waterless washing, but since I have some on order, I`ll be watching this thread to learn the safest way possible..

When you say "terry weave", do you mean real cotton terry towels, or just "napped" microfibers??

Would the waffle weaves be better used in the drying stage??
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I think it depends on how dirty the vehicle is ... most people equate WW with drying, but i do know many who use them for glass too ... If there is not too much dirt, i guess it can clean and pull the waterless wash off at the same time
    And I contradict myself since I do use the WW towels from the kitchen supplies area at Walmart for windows.
    They are very thin and calling them waffle weave might be a stretch. They do work good for glass, though.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And I contradict myself since I do use the WW towels from the kitchen supplies area at Walmart for windows.
    They are very thin and calling them waffle weave might be a stretch. They do work good for glass, though.
    i think Ranney also sells them for glass, but I find a smoother towel leaves a cleaner glass
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norahcrv View Post
    Thanks Charles, I have yet to try rinseless or waterless washing, but since I have some on order, I`ll be watching this thread to learn the safest way possible..

When you say "terry weave", do you mean real cotton terry towels, or just "napped" microfibers??

Would the waffle weaves be better used in the drying stage??
    FWIW, Rinseless or waterless washes are about 90 to 95% of my washes, even in the warm weather. I can just rinse the car off in the driveway, drive it in the shade of the garage and wash away. I think you will like the idea once you have done it a few times.

The terry was in reference to the microfiber towels that have the terry weave that is very similar to the cotton terry towels I have and used for years. I think I would be more comfortable using one of my old cotton terry towels than I would using a WW for waterless/rinseless washes.

I only use my WW for drying after a conventional wash. (Other than the Walmart ones for windows) Since I rarely do conventional washes anymore, they get very little use. Maybe I should take an inventory and make a trade.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF Towels, Rinse less, waterless washing?

On a conventional wash I use a WW to blot most of the water and use a small garden blower to get water out of the mirrors and trim then use a Ultra Plush MF towel that is as big as a bath towel it will leave the surface really dry.

Only time I normally use S&W is on a relatively clean car and I use a dog bone and dry with Plush MF towels

Post Thanks / Like

I use the dreadlock style mitts with rinseless washes and often use 2 on dirty vehicles since they do not rinse clean while washing.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

i also use a dreadlock washmitt while using a rinseless wash

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, Rinseless or waterless washes are about 90 to 95% of my washes, even in the warm weather. I can just rinse the car off in the driveway, drive it in the shade of the garage and wash away. I think you will like the idea once you have done it a few times.
    Charles, how do you handle the wheels and rims? Brake dust is terrible on my 530i and the Poorboy`s Spray n Rinse wheel cleaner is a blessing, but dealing with the rim after spraying in the garage seems troubling, especially in the winter. Do you have much of an issue with cleaning the wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a standard household sponge on tires and regular microfiber towel for the wheels with ONR. I do wheels/tires last with the remaining water. As long as I wash fairly regularly (determined by miles driven), I do not see problems with brake dust.

Al
    The Need to Bead

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post
    Charles, how do you handle the wheels and rims? Brake dust is terrible on my 530i and the Poorboy`s Spray n Rinse wheel cleaner is a blessing, but dealing with the rim after spraying in the garage seems troubling, especially in the winter. Do you have much of an issue with cleaning the wheels?
    Brake dust is not a problem for me with any of the vehicles I take care of. It does seem to be a real problem with BMWs, though. Probably is a problem with a lot of cars and I`m not knocking the BMW.

When doing a waterless wash, I just spray the wheel with Poorboys S&W, Spray the tire with Poorboy`s Bold N Bright, clean the wheel with a Meguiar`s Body Brush, (I think any soft bristle brush will do), use a lug not brush on the lug nuts, scrub the tire with a medium bristle brush, clean the wheel well and inside of the wheel with a mug/glass scrubber.
    I use old cotton terry towels to wipe the tire and wheels and just throw them away when they get really dirty.
    The same basic process works with a rinseless wash except for dipping all the wash tools in the bucket of wash water rather than spraying it on.

Doing a rinseless wash, I end up with more water on the floor doing the wheels than I do for the rest of the vehicle. It still isn`t a lot.

I use this body brush, but without the handle.

I use this lug nut brush.

I use a scrubber similar to this for the wheel wells and inside of the wheels.

Charles

Thread Information