Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray wax/sealants, wipe on, walk away sealants?

My question is about how to use these products, not whether or not they are the best products to use.
    What would be your reason for using a spray wax/sealant rather than a WOWA sealant?
    For instance, why use Optimum Car Wax, (A spray wax), when Opti-Seal, (A WOWA sealant), is so quick and easy?
    It seems like the Opti-Seal would be as fast or faster and certainly is as easy to apply.
    Is it a cost consideration?

I used Optimum for the example, but it seems the same thing would be true for Zaino or Ultima WOWA, spray sealants.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray wax/sealants, wipe on, walk away sealants?

The only time I could see using it is if you were trying to get some sealant into a tight area like door jambs and such, where it maybe hard to get an applicator in there...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I think method of application is just one factor in the purchasing decision. People can take into account cost, ease of use, looks, durability, slickness and other factors when making a product purchase. You also have to take into account the comfort level of the user for a certain application method.

Wipe on, walk away sealants are still very new to the detailing landscape. Not everyone is ready to try this new idea. The whole concept still sounds a bit foreign when I try to explain it to customers. People are creatures of habit and tend to stick with what they know.

I think it is the how that just gets people right now. It just takes some getting used to.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never tried any of the WOWA sealants, but I enjoy using OCW. My reasoning is:

I tend to spend more time polishing cars now that I know what I`m doing and it actually takes me longer because I`m incuding extra polishing. The major advantage of OCW is that I can use Poliseal as my final polish and then leaving the PS residue on the car, I spray OCW and wipe it off and the car is waxed! That saves me from having to go around the car removing the poliseal residue...AND THEN going BACK around the car again with wax, and then AGAIN to remove the wax. That`s where most all the benefit comes in to OCW for me.

When I wash a car, I like OCW because if it doesn`t give me fits if some water drips out from the headlight or some trim (dont you hate that!) and mixes in with it. I dont know if the same is true with the WOWA sealants as I`ve never tried one. OCW will also go over a wax or sealant with no issues. It`s been consistant across the board every time I`ve applied it.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Wipe on, walk away sealants are still very new to the detailing landscape. Not everyone is ready to try this new idea. The whole concept still sounds a bit foreign when I try to explain it to customers. People are creatures of habit and tend to stick with what they know.
    That is so true.
    It took me some time to accept that the WOWA product does work. Even now, I don`t use it as my only LSP although it probably would be all I would need. In my mind, the application, let the product haze, remove the product still seems like it would/should do a better job.
    Based on my experience with Opti-Seal, that isn`t necessarily true.
    A little off topic, (Hey, it`s my thread ), why is a spray wax considered to be less durable than regular liquid waxes? The only real difference is the method of application. There again, I lean towards the conventional apply, haze, remove process.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Way2SSlow View Post
    I`ve never tried any of the WOWA sealants
    You should. It might surprise you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2SSlow
    but I enjoy using OCW. My reasoning is:

I tend to spend more time polishing cars now that I know what I`m doing and it actually takes me longer because I`m incuding extra polishing. The major advantage of OCW is that I can use Poliseal as my final polish and then leaving the PS residue on the car, I spray OCW and wipe it off and the car is waxed! That saves me from having to go around the car removing the poliseal residue...AND THEN going BACK around the car again with wax, and then AGAIN to remove the wax. That`s where most all the benefit comes in to OCW for me.

When I wash a car, I like OCW because if it doesn`t give me fits if some water drips out from the headlight or some trim (dont you hate that!) and mixes in with it. I dont know if the same is true with the WOWA sealants as I`ve never tried one. OCW will also go over a wax or sealant with no issues. It`s been consistant across the board every time I`ve applied it.
    A short time back, I used Dura Gloss Aqua Wax to remove the Pol-Seal residue and like you said, it works good and saves a step. Obviously, the Aqua Wax seems to play well with water.

But if you were to use Opti-Seal as your LSP, the same basic number of steps would be required. I don`t personally feel comfortable with my main protection being a spray wax, yet I can accept the WOWA product being my protection. Go figure.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    A little off topic, (Hey, it`s my thread ), why is a spray wax considered to be less durable than regular liquid waxes? The only real difference is the method of application. There again, I lean towards the conventional apply, haze, remove process.
    I`m not a chemist. Actually, it was my least favorite science subject. But, I imagine it has to do with the products used to make the product thin enough to be sprayed. Adding more of these chemicals probably reduces the amount of protective ingredients.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Isn`t it WOWO?

Anyways the only spray on stuff that will get me some kind of protection is QW+ or QD+, but I have no sealant in spray... Used of course after a full detail after every wash or second wash to maintain!
    2008 Chevy Aveo LS Sedan - Fire Red

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I imagine it has to do with the products used to make the product thin enough to be sprayed. Adding more of these chemicals probably reduces the amount of protective ingredients.
    That could be correct and it was a thought in my mind, but you can`t get much thinner than Opti-Seal, Zaino CS, Ultima UPGP and they sure seem to have plenty of protection. Klasse AIO is another thin product that probably could be spray applied.
    Is there actually a basis for the belief that spray waxes are less durable or is it another one of those "They say" things?
    Also, are the liquid waxes thicker because they have more protective ingredients or is it (1) Because the public like the thicker consistency, (2) Because the thicker consistency doesn`t run off the surface or be absorbed as much by the applicator?

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs View Post
    Isn`t it WOWO?
    WOWO = Wipe On, Wipe Off.
    WOWA = Wipe On, Walk Away.
    The WOWA products I have read about are Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima UPGP and Zaino CS.
    The only one I have used is the Opti-Seal.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

OK I`m going to jump a bridge now. LMAO! Dang, only when I thought I had most acronyms figured out! Thanks Charles!
    2008 Chevy Aveo LS Sedan - Fire Red

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my Zaino Clear-Seal today. Thought I`d like to give Opti-Seal a try too.

Post Thanks / Like

i use all three wowa products as well as aw and ocw. ocw and aw are just as quick to apply and never streak but the durability isn`t the same as the wowa sealants. wowa sealants are durable but application is a little trickier because we want to over apply and they can streak.
    i have found OS to be the least finicky and ultima to be the most durable. i like both of them.
    OS on clean wheels works great! no more removing wheel wax for me.
    1991 NSX Blk/Blk
    2005 Civic Si
    2003 Xterra SC < Sold!
    2006 NBP EXP Honda Element AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Zaino improved their CS. How old is yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    Zaino improved their CS. How old is yours?
    I hope so, I bought some when it was first released and between the three WOWA sealants Z-CS impressed me the least.

(begin rant) The one thing that irks me about Zaino is the "improved" CS. It doesn`t say anything on their website about being improved. Was there a secret e-mail chain notification of an improved version? Am I supposed to e-mail or call Sal once a month and ask if anything has been improved? I don`t think it is too much to ask that they note on the website that the product has been improved and in what ways. (end rant)
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information