Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WOWA LSP... long term comparison

I managed to purchase an Ultima Sampler pack a few months ago to use in a comparison of one familiar product line(Zaino) and the new line of Ultima products. I have read mixed reviews of both and with that needed to make my own comparison so as to get the feel of the comments listed by those that have been for or against each line of products.

My test will be on the hood of a Cool Vanilla Chrysler 300 Touring. Each product will be used according to manufacturers instruction. Maintained with each manufactures QD on a weekly basis.

Products used in the test

Ultima Zaino

1.UPPP 1. ZAIO
    2.UPGP 2. ZCS
    3.UDSP 3. Z6

The paint was cleaned with Poorboy`s S&W and MF towel. Each (UPPP and ZAIO)were applied via PC and black finishing pad from LC on speed 3. Both spread well and each worked into the paint very easily. I feel that each product gave me a fresh surface with which to apply the corresponding LSP. I have to give a slight edge to ZAIO at this point because the surface was slightly smoother upon completion. This is not really a critical thing more of an observation since this is the only difference that I was able to observe at this point in time. Both made the paint look crisp and clean and ready for the next step. No pictures since each looks the same. Picks will follow in the weeks to come.

Application of the LSP from both products came after each was sprayed with their respective QD and wiped down with a MF towel. Application was easy for both. Two sprays to prime the pad then immediately spread with a light touch on the respective test area. Then an additional spray to go over the area one last time.

I waited twelve hours and cleaned the area with appropriate QD and re-applied the LSP the following day. Since both claim to be layerable I will layer every twenty-four hours during the next week using the same preparation. It may seem like over kill but I am not a real believer in these sprays as an LSP so I will give it more than is needed to help allay my skepticism of these kinds of products. Besides, that will only be about 21 sprays on an applicator which is really not very much product... now is it?

I will not be using either of the manufacturers shampoo. Instead I will use my old reliable and agreeable Poorboy`s S&W to clean the surface if it becomes so dirty as to warrant such action. Other wise maintenance will be with the appropriate QD for each product.

Surprisingly, I cannot discern any difference in look or feel after the initial LSP application. I like both QD`s as far making the surface slick and clean. I see no difference in either product as of this posting. I look forward to the weeks to come as I make my comparisons. I will post pictures whenever it rains and on a weekly basis.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOWA LSP... long term comparison

awesome, so many great comparisons these days, thank you very much.
    Keep Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Today is the start of the second week of my long term test of WOWA sealants. It is a head to head competition of two quality manufacturers in a relatively new realm of paint protection. I have to admit that I am old school in paint protection products. I am all for new and innovative products to help protect the paint surface but this new WOWA is an admitted leap of faith on my part to believe that the product actually does what it claims. Hence I am testing two products to view in real world setting just what the attributes and characteristics of these products are in comparison to other sealants and waxes that I have used.

Luckily for me it decided to rain just minutes before I started writing the second weeks posts so I will have pictures of the beading after I have posted my comments for this week. I welcome any suggestions in regards to test criteria to help me test these two products. Here are my observations of the two products used.

The first thing that comes to mind is ease of use. Both products are simply the easiest products that I have ever used. It is as it states wipe on and walk away. Minutes were needed for the entire layering process instead of the more involved process needed for application of older style sealants that need to haze and then are wiped off.

A little goes a long way. I used both exactly as manufacturer`s instructions stated. Each test section was cleaned with their respective AIO to wipe away any dust residue with corresponding detail spray and applied each product to the paint surface with two spray pumps from the bottle to a cotton applicator. The WOWA sealants were layered a total of six times in seven days prior to any rain. Because I was only using the product on the hood of the vehicle I only needed to use two sprays of each product to do the entire test section for each layer. So little goes a long way in actual fact.

With a light touch the product of each sealant spread very thinly over the entire test section each time the products were applied. Zaino`s Clear Seal seemed to be a little rougher feeling when it was being applied. Utima`s product produced a noticeably different gliding feel when applied. I am not sure if this makes a difference but it was different enough to note in this report.

As previously reported each AIO produced a nice clean and smooth surface. Looks are subjective but I have to say that each was a dead heat at the start of the test. Smoothness and slickness were also a dead heat.

I did not have to do any buffing on the surface after application. Each dried streak free. I did notice a little more wetness on the first pass of each product on the intial pass of each product but I resolved that issue by by applying the first swipe from drivers side to passenger side then changing to a front to back motion to complete the layer. Crossing perpendicular to the initial pass each time until the test area was completely covered.

I will do weekly wipe downs of each manufacturers QD. I also will use Poorboy`s S&W to clean the surface if I think it is warranted. With a total of six layers I am hoping that I will see a food long term protection from each of these WOWA sealants. Only time will tell.

I will post the position of the products for the test at a later time but here are pictures of the beading after about an hour of rain here in Texas.

Macro shots:

Questions, comments, or suggestions are invited and welcomed.
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

The right side looks like it has better beading patterns. Thanks for taking the time to write up these posts and doing the tests!
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    The right side looks like it has better beading patterns. Thanks for taking the time to write up these posts and doing the tests!
    It does appear that way. If I were a little more tech savy I would make a movie and post it but that is not going to happen at this juncture.

Because it was raining at the time of the pictures about every 30 seconds it would change. Another factor is the angle of the driveway which has the rear end of the vehicle lower than the front end and the slope of the hood which tends to have water gather at the back of the hood and build up then a puddle would plunge towards the front of the hood because it slopes down.

I am just calling them the way I see them.
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the update, very thorough
    Keep Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I wish these forums would place an abbreviation interpretation at the top of the Forum.

WOWA ???? AIO ????

TKS
    "I STINK therefore I AM!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
    I wish these forums would place an abbreviation interpretation at the top of the Forum.

WOWA ???? AIO ????

TKS
    Here is a sticky list that we have...

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...hlight=acronym

AIO is All in One and the other I am not sure I know that WOWO is wipe on wipe off, not sure what this one is...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Here is a sticky list that we have...

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...hlight=acronym

AIO is All in One and the other I am not sure I know that WOWO is wipe on wipe off, not sure what this one is...
    WOWA= Wipe on, walk away.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    WOWA= Wipe on, walk away.
    ahhh...no why didn`t that come into my brain...hmmm...nice work...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up... Thanks Kirk

Mental note*
    Need to update updated list

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

I am a little late on the update but was working behind the Cub Scout scene for a very good reason much less a pretty good excuse.

I think it was Wednesday of the past week I started to notice a dust build up on the hood of the vehicle. The vehicle sits outside under the Texas elements 24/7. I had not used any detail spray. I clean up once a week for this test. On Friday morning it rained to allow me these pictures. It is hardly necessary for me to say point blank that I am extremely dismayed with the pictures. As you can see for yourself with these pictures.

IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/cwcad/1%20WOWA%20longterm%20test%2008/1UpdateCSUltima001.jpg[/IMG]

The beading pictures are very confusing and disappointing in my initial view. The dirt can be seen in the previous pictures(I think). The dirt was thin and completely covered the hood quite evenly. The rain feel hard enough to make beading comparison from week to week but I have come to the conclusion that dirt may not blow away, on the wifes hood and gathered enough to change the beading most dramatically on both test products.

Here are the pictures of the same hood three days later after two rain showers that lasted 10 miutes each about twenty minutes apart here in Central Texas. I cannot say how much it rained but it was better than a touch-less car wash. It washed away all the dirt and refreshed the beading characteristics that you see here. I did not realize just how bad a dirty surface will mitigate water beading.

Well DC`ers, the pictures pretty much say to me that dirt is detrimental to protection surfaces as far as beading characteristics. I know this is a D`Oh....moment. I am sure others have thought of this but it hit home for me. I guess “seein is believin.” After applying six coats of each sealant on the hood of the car I was admittedly a bit skeptical. After Mother Nature`s pressure washer type rain, I see a completely different bead characteristis of which I most definitely want to see more of this type of thing in the future because this stuff may be turning me into a believer. I still am sitting on the fence as far as durability is concerned but I am slowly, albeit begrudgingly, coming over the the WOWA technolgy for detailing.

I will be interested in my views a week from now!! Even as I am interested in anyone from the forum.!! How many people out there feel the same? Are WOWA products just twitching at your purse strings?
    cwcad

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad View Post
    Are WOWA products just twitching at your purse strings?
    Nope.
    Opti-Seal got me a year or so ago.
    It impressed me then. It impresses me now.
    I just polished the boat with Poli-Seal and topped it with Opti-Seal this past week-end. That`s what I did last season and it seemed to hold up quite good. The boat did get some Dura Gloss Aqua Wax applied to the horizontal surfaces during the season, but the vertical portions were protected only by the Poli-Seal/Opti-Seal combination. With just a S&W clean up, the boat looked good even before I started on it for this year.

I have also used it several times on vehicles and it impressed me there as well.

Like you, I had/have reservations about a WOWA product, but so far the Opti-Seal seems to do what is claimed for it.

No doubt the UPGP and the Zaino CS perform just as good.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but you did ask.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad View Post
    Are WOWA products just twitching at your purse strings?
    I don`t have a purse ... Anyways, the right side (drivers) still has a beading edge over the left, IMO. It is very nice to see what effect dirt has on beading characteristics. I especially like how the beading changed after the two rain showers, when you didn`t clean it -- it cleaned itself and the beading was restored. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the update and I look forward to then next .

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CW, any update on this test or at least what product was on what side? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information