Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The Rinseless Washes

Having used three of these products with pretty good results, I was curious about a few things.
    First let me say that for me, DP 4in1 and ONR seemed to be about the same. I`m not sure that if I didn`t know which I had put in the bucket which one I was using. Both seemed just a little smoother/slicker to use for the wash than QEW.
    Since the ONR seems to get all the press, why is that?
    1. Is it because some of the big name detailers on the forums use it and talk about it more?
    Anthony Orosco and Scottwax are two names that come to mind as testers and big promoters of the product.
    2. Is it because it is available from more vendors?
    3. The price per gallon is about the same and although ONR says you can use 1 oz. per 2 gallons and 4 in 1 recommends 1 oz. per gallon, it seems that almost all the ONR users are mixing the ONR at 1 oz. per gallon as well. On the recommendation of an ONR user, I did. That makes the cost pretty much a non-factor.
    4. Is it because the ONR seemed to get a lot more hype when it was released.
    5. Is it really a better product?
    6. If it is, in what way?

FWIW, I have only used both products as a rinseless wash and have no idea how they compare as a QD or a car shampoo additive.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Rinseless Washes

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Having used three of these products with pretty good results, I was curious about a few things.
    First let me say that for me, DP 4in1 and ONR seemed to be about the same. I`m not sure that if I didn`t know which I had put in the bucket which one I was using. Both seemed just a little smoother/slicker to use for the wash.
    Since the ONR seems to get all the press, why is that?
    1. Is it because some of the big name detailers on the forums use it and talk about it more?
    Anthony Orosco and Scottwax are two names that come to mind as testers and big promoters of the product.
    2. Is it because it is available from more vendors?
    3. The price per gallon is about the same and although ONR says you can use 1 oz. per 2 gallons and 4 in 1 recommends 1 oz. per gallon, it seems that almost all the ONR users are mixing the ONR at 1 oz. per gallon as well. On the recommendation of an ONR user, I did. That makes the cost pretty much a non-factor.
    4. Is it because the ONR seemed to get a lot more hype when it was released.
    5. Is it really a better product?
    6. If it is, in what way?

FWIW, I have only used both products as a rinseless wash and have no idea how they compare as a QD or a car shampoo additive.
    It seems to me that the shine after using ONR is a little bit better than the shine with 4 in 1. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    It seems to me that the shine after using ONR is a little bit better than the shine with 4 in 1. Just my opinion, others may disagree.
    Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Even if you are wrong and don`t agree with me.

Actually, I didn`t really see any difference in the final appearance with any of the three.

Here again, people may disagree, but I think Spray & Wipe leaves a better shine than many QDs.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Even if you are wrong and don`t agree with me.

Actually, I didn`t really see any difference in the final appearance with any of the three.

Here again, people may disagree, but I think Spray & Wipe leaves a better shine than many QDs.
    I just bought some Spray and Wipe to use as a cleaning QD more so than to "pretty up" my car QD - not bad stuff. Unfortunatly I bought the 32oz bottle rather than the 16oz bottle. The 32 oz bottle is not very ergonomic, should have bought the 16 oz bottle. Will have to get one with my next order. Also will throw in some spray and gloss to "pretty things up" a bit.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I just bought some Spray and Wipe to use as a cleaning QD more so than to "pretty up" my car QD - not bad stuff. Unfortunatly I bought the 32oz bottle rather than the 16oz bottle. The 32 oz bottle is not very ergonomic, should have bought the 16 oz bottle. Will have to get one with my next order. Also will throw in some spray and gloss to "pretty things up" a bit.

Stop! Stop!

Order a gallon.
    Buy a 32 oz. spray bottle to use with it at Target or Wal*Mart.
    Trust me, you will be glad you ordered a gallon. You will be amazed at how much you will use the S&W.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Well, comparing the ONR to QEW, I have to say that I can`t tell a difference in cleaning power. As far as leaving "something behind" that was one thing I had in the back of my mind that made me shy away from using the ONR versus the QEW (among several other reasons). I think a lot of it does have to do with hype. You get one guy at some board with 20,000 posts (posts are not a factor of quality work or anything, most of the guys I see like that do very, very good work) pumping up a particular product, and there you go...every guy that comes by is gonna say, "wow, this stuff really is good." Part of it has to do with the fact that a lot of the ONR pushers may not have ever even used anything else to compare it against either. ONR is the only rinseless wash product they have used, yet they`ll say it`s the best rinseless wash product out there. It gets to the point where everyone is using it and talking about it, and then the other stuff doesn`t get talked about too much. That`s just my take on it.

One thing that strikes me as odd, is that I have seen a couple of people post how they`d never use a car shampoo that had a wax in it, yet the same folks post about ONR being so good because it "leaves a little something behind." Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black and all, but again I think it leads up to pushing/hyping the product.

I have not tried the DP rinseless wash, but I would assume that it would work like ONR & QEW. Just from my experience, I think QEW does an equal or better job of cleaning. Also, I really never noticed that "extra pop" it leaves on the surface. Personally, if I wanted to leave something on the surface, I`d wash and then QD, but that`s just me. Don`t get me wrong, ONR would be a good choice for anyone - I can just get QEW locally, and that saves me money. For the same result, it`s a pretty cut and dry decision for me.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

When I mentioned that 4 in 1 and ONR seemed a little smoother/slicker for the wash, that might have been user error.
    I used the cap for measuring just like it said in the instructions. I have since read that the instructions were wrong and the amount contained in the cap was less than it should have been. Seems likely that less product would result in less slickness.
    ONR evidently did the same thing on some bottles.
    Since I now measure with a graduated measuring cup, I know I am using the right amount of product.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using ONR and S&W alot this winter as its just been so hard to try to use a hose this time of year...

I agree on the S&W if you are going to get some get at least a gallon, and just pour it into your smaller sprayer...or do like I did and get the 5 gallon treatment...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I drifted away from the original topic, I thought I would keep going.
    My rinseless wash mixture is done with hot water in a gallon jug mixed with 1 oz. per gallon of the 4 in 1.
    I use a dispensing bottle like this to measure.

After mixing two gallons of solution, I take them to the garage and pour one each in two buckets. One for washing, one for rinsing. It was suggested by a friend that there would be less dilution of the wash solution if both buckets had 4 in 1 in them.
    I do think the hot water helps in the cleaning process.
    By the time I get things set up in the garage, the water temperature is bearable. I do wear rubber gloves in the winter to try to keep my hands dry and somewhat warmer. Works for me.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a dispensing bottle like that but found it was just easier to use my wifes measuring cups...

I agree on the hot water I find the cleaning ability much better, and I also where gloves as dry hands tend to be warmer hands.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    I have been using ONR and S&W alot this winter as its just been so hard to try to use a hose this time of year...
    I`ll second that.
    Actually, I`m not even doing much of that recently.
    It is finally up to 0, but the streets are still snow covered and we have about a foot of the stuff to melt and slop up the streets for a few more weeks.
    Global warming may be a reality, but not in Ankeny.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll second that.
    Actually, I`m not even doing much of that recently.
    It is finally up to 0, but the streets are still snow covered and we have about a foot of the stuff to melt and slop up the streets for a few more weeks.
    Global warming may be a reality, but not in Ankeny.
    I feel for you...normally are winters are like yours but this year its been all rain...

Its tough with all the dirt and salt they put down, that I am trying to be careful about what the limits are to cleaning a car with waterless washes...how dirty is to dirty...

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

onr is what I use. I was using it before 4-in-1 came out. So i am used to it. I guees thats the oly reson Irecomend it over the others. Its what i use and know
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

I was forced to use a rinseless due to water restrictions. I chose ONR because it seemed to be what people I respected used and liked. The choice was aided by the fact one of my favorite online sellers carried it (he did not carry other brands). In the end, a friend ordered a gallon from the guy and I got a quart from him. This was my decision process. I do believe there is a promotion aspect where the volumes of posts can help sell a brand.

But. I still like a traditional wash. I did learn why ONR can look better at least for me. When I was using ONR, I spent a lot more time drying -- far more than I was doing in the past. In a traditional wash, the rinse would evaporate so I was not doing a thorough wipe down. I have started doing a better final wipe down after the initial dry wipe.

I am with JaredPointer that if I want some shine I will just use an instant detailer after the wash.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    But. I still like a traditional wash.
    Absolutely!
    I think it not only does a better job, it is almost like therapy for me.

Think Spring!

Charles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information