Got BASS...Will travel!!! MetalSludge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about PC polisher

I have never used any kind of orbital polisher before and I was thinking of getting one. My only concern is I have a black truck and it looks pretty decent know due to many hours of work with PoorBoys SSR1 and Pro Polish to get 95% of the swirl marks and such out but I was told that I could get an awesome result and make it look 100 times better if I used something like a PC buffer on it. Well I have never used one and am scared to death to try it on black paint have never done it before. Is it really all that hard or am I over reacting to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fear not, Grasshopper. Read this and all that will be revealed. And yes, you must have one for a black vehicle.
    PC buffer article :headbang

Post Thanks / Like
    I already found that article ace and I got it printed out laying here beside me. I am still kinda skeptical on the whole deal after hearing horror stories after people like me who never used one before wound up with afterwords. What exactly is the big benifit to these over hand? And what are good products to use with it?
    Tommy
    2002 Ford Ranger
    I wanna go fishing now!!!!

Boss_429
    MetalSludge,

Don`t get the PC orbital buffer, and a rotary buffer confused. The PC orbital buffer is really safe, and would require complete mis-use of the tool to cause damage. It can be done, but it`s hard to do. On the other hand, a rotary buffer can do serious damage in a hurry when used improperly. The main thing with a PC, is getting some good pads, and keeping them in good shape.

Anyhow, the advantage of the PC is that it will "work" some light polishes, and cleaners a lot easier than by hand. Even though Poorboys polishes are quite easy to use by hand, a PC will make them even more efficent, and easier on the arms and shoulders.

As for what products you can use with the PC.......... in Poorboys line, the Pro Polish, SSR2, SSR1, and even Polish with Carnauba, are all prime candidates for use withe the PC. The SSR3 might better be left to a rotary buffer, but some have used it with a PC.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    The SSR1 and Pro Polish was the answer I was looking for. Do you apply them directly to the pad then put it to the vehicle or do you squirt it on the vehicle then run the pad over it? Also how often do you need to reapply to keep the pad from doing damage to the paint? I was thinking of getting the PC 7424sp is in the orbital line? cause if it isnt I dont want to try and use a rotary buffer.
    Tommy
    2002 Ford Ranger

Boss_429
    The PC 7424 is the one that most people get, and works great. As for application, most people apply the product directly to the pad, and then lightly press the pad to the paint surface and spread the product a bit to reduce splatter. I confess, that my old habit from using a rotary in the old days was to apply the product directly to the paint surface and then tip and swing the buffer into the product to reduce splatter. Anyhow, I would go with applying the product directly to the pad.

When it comes to working the product.............. there are a couple schools of thought. Some people like to remove it wet, some dry. For most products, I like to work the product in unit it is dry, or almost dry.......... and then wipe off. I believe you`ll get good results that way. Then, you just apply a bit more product to the pad, and do the same thing on another section, or the same section if you need to work it more.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    so basically you just do a section then take it off and do another section not the whole vehicle at once and then take it off?
    Tommy
    2002 Ford Ranger

Boss_429
    With most polishes............. yes! It`s always a good idea to follow the directions on the product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only use PoorBoys stuff right now and I have been doing the whole vehicle at once and then taking it off. But I thats by hand and it seems to look great. Do you think I could get better results doing little sections at a time?

I have to order some SSR1 to try and get rid of a scratch. Should I do the whole vehicle with the SSR1 or just the scrathed area?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that you should just buy the PC and go to it. I`ve used a bunch of different products with a PC on my new black Dodge Hemi. Read the various threads and don`t worry about damaging the finish. It has to be almost impossible to do so. You will find out what works and what doesn`t. I have used 3M, Maguiar`s and Blackfire products. I even used 3M rubbing compound with the PC on some sanding scratches.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very important - when you get your PC, try it out on an older car just to get the feel of it. Once you see how easy it is to use you will be using it on your new ride in no time. The main thing is to work the polish until it starts to powder to achieve the best finish. I still do certain parts of my car with hand polish and it comes out great, but when you work by hand, you have to use products with fillers to hide flaws because you can`t remove paint by hand unless you use a super-agressive compound, which I would never do. Poorboys products are great, but only the Polish with Carnuba has fillers. I used some Griots Fine Hand Polish today and it really hid the tiny flaws. Looked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information