Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Homemade Clay Lube Anyone?

I`m tired of buying quick detailer and i have heard of people coming up with their own cheaper, but just as effective, homemade lubes at home without having to buy the "can get expensive after awhile" spray detailer that comes with like a Mothers Clay Bar system. I know a lot of people use whatever is recommended but i was just wondering if anyone had there own concoction they would like to share? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Homemade Clay Lube Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by thedallashilton View Post
    I`m tired of buying quick detailer and i have heard of people coming up with their own cheaper, but just as effective, homemade lubes at home without having to buy the "can get expensive after awhile" spray detailer that comes with like a Mothers Clay Bar system. I know a lot of people use whatever is recommended but i was just wondering if anyone had there own concoction they would like to share? Thanks!
    Instead of claying after you wash with QD....once you have washed the car get a clean bucket of soapy water and use that as the lube, then rinse the car and dry...or you can use PB S&W as a lube cheaper and dose just as good a job....you could also put some soapy water in a spray bottle and use that but you are going to have to rinse and dry the car after
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I just use what ever car wash soap I just used to wash my car with. Personaly I use Poorboys Super Slick and Suds. I creates a nice smooth surface to move the clay on. I rarely ever use a spray for claying.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    I just use what ever car wash soap I just used to wash my car with. Personaly I use Poorboys Super Slick and Suds. I creates a nice smooth surface to move the clay on. I rarely ever use a spray for claying.
    I`ve used 1/4 ounce of Super Slick & Suds in a quart bottle of water and it worked very well, but as Beemerboy said, if you use a soap, you should be prepared to rewash the vehicle afterwards vs using a QD or Spray and Wipe which should leave the finish clean and save time.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always mix a fresh bucket just in case you have picked up some dirt from the wash...I have a real small bucket for that reason...the spray bottle of car wash soap and water would be a good thing at the point

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I always mix a fresh bucket just in case you have picked up some dirt from the wash...I have a real small bucket for that reason...the spray bottle of car wash soap and water would be a good thing at the point
    I get clean water as well...I probaly should have said that...I was making an assumption...but excellent point.

I usually rewash the cehicle after I clay, even if I don`t use soap. While its probably not necassary, I like to go over it again.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t normally rewash after i clay, because i use the the QD, but i will do quick rinse if its gonna save me like 5 dollars at a time. I like to keep the clay well lubricated and i usually use an entire bottle on the car if not more. But I appreciate all the tips! I`m gonna try the soapy water with a spray bottle. I just didn`t want to mar the paint because of insufficient lubrication. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedallashilton View Post
    I don`t normally rewash after i clay, because i use the the QD, but i will do quick rinse if its gonna save me like 5 dollars at a time. I like to keep the clay well lubricated and i usually use an entire bottle on the car if not more. But I appreciate all the tips! I`m gonna try the soapy water with a spray bottle. I just didn`t want to mar the paint because of insufficient lubrication. Thanks again!

Thats the nice thing about using QD not rewash...get some S&W its cheaper and you will not have to wash the car again

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Dish soap and water 50/50 mix, makes a good lubricant .
    However, I buy last touch by Meguiars in the gallon and dillute with water and still leaves a slick surface to clay...
    Joe`s detailing (since 2002)
    ``We begin where the car wash ends.``
    (269)650-2242

Lumin De Lumine
    Post Thanks / Like

I find a trigger-spray bottle with Water & Meguiars Shampoo Plus at 10 to 1 is a great lube with clay. Although I like to keep the car wet when I am claying... it helps keep it all slick!
    No one ever said on his death bed, `Gee, if I`d only spent more time at the office`.

Post Thanks / Like

If you clay with car wash and water, your bar will fall to bits leaving residue all over your hands and you`ll have to put the bar in the microwave to dry it out and harden it again
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SVR View Post
    If you clay with car wash and water, your bar will fall to bits leaving residue all over your hands and you`ll have to put the bar in the microwave to dry it out and harden it again
    Thats only happen to me with Pinnacle clay, however with Poorboys, or mothers clay I have never had that issue.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

oh good, obviously some worse than others then
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats only happen to me with Pinnacle clay, however with Poorboys, or mothers clay I have never had that issue.
    Nor to me with Clay Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the same method with Mothers, Clay Magic and Zaino without problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information