Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    too many cars....
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem w/Poorboys

I bought some PB SSR3 and Polish also. I used the SSR3 on my 96 Impala, and it came out horrible, it left streaks and made my paint feel rough and not very smooth, my hood of my car looks horrible, and I guess I need to know if I did anything wrong.

I was using a PC buffer, with a yellow foam pad with SSR3 and it was set on speed 2.5 I think.

thanks

Wes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem w/Poorboys

What kind of problem was you trying to correct using SSR3? Do you have any SSR2.5 to follow up with? SSR3 is some strong stuff, but if used correctley there shouldn`t be a problem.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Get over it and move on. Bellydawg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in not as proficient as others in the group yet feel that part of the problem is the speed. Spreading the polish at 2-3 is fine, but then you need to kick it up to 6 for the polishing. You buff until it appears the polish has disappeared. There may be slight dusting.

I`ll also say that I have never used SSR3 but only the SSR2.5.

Good luck,
    Jim
    Facts are not the truth, but only indicate where the truth may lie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydawg
    I am in not as proficient as others in the group yet feel that part of the problem is the speed. Spreading the polish at 2-3 is fine, but then you need to kick it up to 6 for the polishing. You buff until it appears the polish has disappeared. There may be slight dusting.
    I would agree completely about the polishing speed. Also, SSR3 is not a finishing polish, and is actually quite abrasive for use with a PC alone. I would suggest following up with a milder polish, such as something along the lines of SSR2.5 and following that with something like SSR1.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

SSR3 is very agressive especially when applied with an aggressive pad also. You should follow with SSR 2.5, then perhaps 2 and then 1 to finish.
    2008 Chevy Aveo LS Sedan - Fire Red

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shopking68
    I bought some PB SSR3 and Polish also. I used the SSR3 on my 96 Impala, and it came out horrible, it left streaks and made my paint feel rough and not very smooth, my hood of my car looks horrible, and I guess I need to know if I did anything wrong.

I was using a PC buffer, with a yellow foam pad with SSR3 and it was set on speed 2.5 I think.

thanks

Wes
    Who suggested using SSR3 to you? As previously stated this is a very strong compound as you probably felt the grit when you open it. The first line on the back of the label states, "SSR3 is a Professional grade heavy duty abrasive." You would have to have some serious problems with your finish for that combo. If you are also talking about a yellow Lake country pad (cutting pad) then this combination would only be used after sanding a car with 1200 wet/dry sand paper and never with a pc. Most swirls and scratches that can come out with a pc should be used with SSR2.5 and either a polishing pad (white) or light cut pad (orange). Those who do use SSR3 with a pc should only use a polishing pad(white) and at a speed of at least 5.5-6, which is needed to let the product break down and work. For the most part SSR3 should be used by Professionals with a rotary.

Now to fix your problem, you will need to use SSR2.5 with a polishing pad or light cutting pad and then followed with a polishing pad if you have done some serious damage. Then I would follow up with either SSR1 or Pro Polish for the final polishing and gloss enhancement. You can also e-mail me or call me (845-627-5907) if you need to be walked through this.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

too many cars....
    Post Thanks / Like

UH, the pads say not to go over 2100rpm or some thing like that, so I kept it slow. But thanks for all the advice. I guess I need to order some 2.5 instead and speed up my polisher a bit.

I ordered all my pads from Autogeek, they are the Edge 2000 pads.

too many cars....
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE 1
    What kind of problem was you trying to correct using SSR3? Do you have any SSR2.5 to follow up with? SSR3 is some strong stuff, but if used correctley there shouldn`t be a problem.

I had some real bad swirls and scratches and hard water spots on my trunk. So I figured I needed the most hardest stuff to get that stuff off... But I guess not.

Post Thanks / Like

UH, the pads say not to go over 2100rpm or some thing like that, so I kept it slow. But thanks for all the advice. I guess I need to order some 2.5 instead and speed up my polisher a bit.

I ordered all my pads from Autogeek, they are the Edge 2000 pads.
    That`s 2100 RPM on a rotary machine (that`s blazing by the way). You can likely run the pads on setting 5 all day long on a PC and the occasional 6 shouldn`t be a problem. I don`t like to run my equipment at their maximum limit all the time. You still don`t want to use the aggressive combination that you had chosen. I personally only use SSR 3 with a rotary.

The best rule of thumb, at least in my opinion is to start with the least aggressive pad/polish combination you can get by with. When I say this I`m not suggesting you use a finish pad with a moderate amount of swirls though at times going this route is surprising. If after a couple of passes you`re not seeing the desired result step up a notch on one or the other (pad, polish). Remember if you make the jump in both polish and pad at the same time the difference in cutting ability of the combination is usually significant.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek has 2 really good videos on how to use a PC, I think you should check them out and then give it another try. Also, properautocare.com has some easy, step by step instructions for PC and Rotary use.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve only had to use SSR3 once, and I was very cautious with it. I`d follow what Steve(Poorboy) said. There isn`t much that SSR2.5 shouldn`t be able to correct. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on from there.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link by forum member, BlkYukon, that will give you an idea of what can be done with the PC. Paint Care & Detailing

I review this from time to time. It is a very informative site.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

too many cars....
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks all for the info, i feel dumb...

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks all for the info, i feel dumb...
    don`t feel that way ....that is why we have the forum, for people to learn
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

too many cars....
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, So how should I start over, my hood looks worst before I started, what should I start with?

I bought this stuff along with my SSR3

poorboysworld.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information