The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterless Wash (PB`s S&W)/Rinseless Wash (DP 4 in 1)

After the rain and tornadoes, (None closer than 30 miles), left, both the Montana and the GTP needed some attention.
    Both had been driven in the rain, but neither was muddy or really dirty.

The GTP, I did with the 4 in 1 and my sea sponge. One gallon of warm water with 1 oz. of 4 in 1 and a rinse bucket of warm water. I have started using warm water when I can and I think it does help with the cleaning. It could be all in my head, though.
    Anyway, it worked good and left very little water standing on the floor. I washed in the garage and did the roof, windshield, rear window as a section. Then the hood and both front fenders. The deck, both rear 1/4`s and the doors, (it`s a 2 door). I use the sea sponge, make 1 pass with a cotton terry towel leaving the area somewhat damp and finish with a plush MF towel. Quick and easy as some would say.
    Wheels, tires, and wheel wells were last and done the same way, but with an old wash mitt instead of the sea sponge.

For the Montana, I decided to use Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe.
    It also worked good and left no mess on the floor whatsoever.
    Again, I was in the garage and did it by sections, but broke them up a little differently. I didn`t want to have the S&W drying on me before I wiped it.
    I did all the windows with glass cleaner first although I know several people use the S&W on the windows as well.
    The roof was done in 2 sections, the hood and 2 front fenders were another. The painted area of one side including both doors was next, then repeated that for the other side. The rear hatch/door, rear bumper and 1 side of the lower plastic cladding then the front bumper and the other side of the plastic cladding.
    I sprayed each section then made 1 pass with a MF towel folded in 1/4`s, flipped it over and made the finish wipe. Even quicker and easier.
    As with the GTP, wheels, tires, and wheel wells were last and done with an old cotton terry towel.

It`s a tough call for me between the two products. If the vehicle is not really grungy, I think the S&W would be my choice. If the vehicle has some real road grime, I probably would feel more comfortable with the 4 in 1.
    Using the 4 in 1, I don`t feel like I need to go to the DIY spray wash before using it.
    When the vehicles are really dirty, I do use the DIY spray wash before using the S&W.
    Not going to the spray wash saves 3 to 5 bucks and is a 4 mile round trip I don`t have to make. Neither of which is a really big deal.
    Neither one is going to replace the other. I buy both in gallons.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waterless Wash (PB`s S&W)/Rinseless Wash (DP 4 in 1)

Good post!! These are the findings that I have noticed as well. Although I tend to use S&W way more than any other. It is simpler.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So, you use the 4 in 1 in a similar way that people use QEW? Is it an analagous product filling the same niche and being used the same way?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C_Rock77 View Post
    So, you use the 4 in 1 in a similar way that people use QEW? Is it an analagous product filling the same niche and being used the same way?
    Yes it is an analogous product to QEW when used as a rinseless wash. I have only used it as a rinseless wash. I have no idea as to its performance in the other areas listed.
    Here`s a link to the product at the Detail City Store.
    DP Four-In-One Rinseless Wash & Shine

I have used it several times since the original post was made and I still have the same feelings about both products.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Good post! I agree with your conclusions. I used DP 4 in 1 much the same way, sans the sea sponge and I loved it. I also used warm water but I did that because it was rather cold outside. The 4 in 1 is a very different process than a regular wash. It was kind of freaky at first but I soon got into the process.

I use PB S&W probably more than any other product because I use it between washes. I`ve wondered how it might work in a more substantial amount opposed to spraying it lightly and wiping it down.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    Good post! I agree with your conclusions. I used DP 4 in 1 much the same way, sans the sea sponge and I loved it. I also used warm water but I did that because it was rather cold outside. The 4 in 1 is a very different process than a regular wash. It was kind of freaky at first but I soon got into the process.

I use PB S&W probably more than any other product because I use it between washes. I`ve wondered how it might work in a more substantial amount opposed to spraying it lightly and wiping it down.
    I love your comment, "It was rather cold outside".
    In Dallas, Texas?
    It will soon be winter in Iowa and that`s when I really appreicate the waterless and rinseless washes.
    When the temperature gets much below 20 degrees, I just live with dirty vehicles, but when it is above 20, it`s not difficult to heat my garage into the 50`s and clean them up. In the past, I have gone to the DIY spray washes and knocked the heavy stuff off and then finished up with PB`s S&W in the garage.
    I`m not sure just how dirty a vehicle can be for either the 4 in 1 or the S&W and I haven`t yet been able to make myself use either product on a really dirty accumulations.
    Several people here have done some pretty dirty cars by using lots of S&W and lots of towels. I feel more comfortable hitting things with the spray wand before finishing the job.
    Like you, the S&W is probably my most used product.
    Back a few years, I would have broken someone`s head if they even thought about using a "waterless" wash on one of my vehicles. Times do change.

Charles

Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    I love your comment, "It was

rather cold outside".
    In Dallas, Texas?

Charles
    Actually, yeah....I`ve been to Dallas around Christmas time before....it was like 15 degrees.....and pretty damn windy! You wouldn`t think it got that cold...but it does.

Looking at that link, it almost reads like the 4 in 1 can be used similarly to S&W.....or did I read that wrong?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C_Rock77 View Post
    Looking at that link, it almost reads like the 4 in 1 can be used similarly to S&W.....or did I read that wrong?
    It can be used as a quick detailer, but I have never used it for anything other than a rinseless wash.

I don`t think I would use any "quick detailer" as a replacement for S&W.
    S&W can also be used as a quick detailer, but it really is much more than that. It can be used on vehicles that I wouldn`t consider using a QD on.
    Give it a try, I think you will be impressed.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I have used 4-1 as a quick detailer it leaves the surface really slick.
    I have used it as a clay lub and as a wash.
    I like to add some to my car soap when doing a regular wash it will improve the slickness of the soap.

Thread Information