Post Thanks / Like

Dumb wax questions...

1. How can you tell when it is time to re-wax? Usually I just know that after it rains, if it isn`t beading, it is time for some wax. Usually I try not to let it go that long though....

2. How can you tell if there are bonding problems between a wax and a sealant? I am really interested in the Ibiz wax that supposedly leaves no water spots after a rain since the water just sheets off. I would be more comfortable with a couple of coats of EX underneath though . since I don`t know the quality of Ibiz yet. How can you tell if the wax isn`t working over the sealant?

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumb wax questions...

It`s hard to really tell how long a wax lasts. A few things that you can keep an eye on are the slickness of the paint, the beads and the look. Pay attention after a day or two with the wax and remember the characterisitics of the beading, slickness and look. Over time the slickness will get less slick, the beads will spread out and not stand tall and the paint may look a little dull... it`s not an exact science though.

Truthfully you can add a sealant and then a wax without proper bond time and probably won`t have a problem. Stick with the sealant and wax 24 hours after. There shouldn`t be any bonding issues but make sure that your Ibiz stuff doesn`t contain any cleaners that`ll remove the EX. You can tell if something doesn`t bond if you see any streaking that seems to be under the wax you applied... shouldn`t be a problem though.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think its a bad question. Only one reply?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the wax never really wears off and would need a good polishing or a whole lot of harsh washes to fully remove, but what most people judge it by is the shine and beading , which is really the loss of oils in the wax. Once the oils start to evaporate and wear off, you loose the beading and shine but not the real protection
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go by the feel of the car as I am washing it...the slickness of the paint and alos the beading or ease of flow of the water as I rinse.

Just remember carnuba type waxes also have a melting point and while most of us don`t live in an area where our temperature gets that hot the hood of a car for example especially on darker color vehicles can get very hot and actually melt so to speak...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My tell tale sign is how hard the car is to dry off after a flood rinse (after washing). If it`s getting to be more work...I rewax. People have argued beading on this forum and have really beat it to death; however, if my car isn`t beading well in a rain storm...then I feel like I need to rewax.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    the wax never really wears off and would need a good polishing or a whole lot of harsh washes to fully remove, but what most people judge it by is the shine and beading , which is really the loss of oils in the wax. Once the oils start to evaporate and wear off, you loose the beading and shine but not the real protection
    That`s really interesting. So it`s the oils that do the shine and beading? How can you REALLY tell when you have no more protection at all then?

Post Thanks / Like

try rubbing a spot with a light polish and see if it becomes clearer ..you will be able to see your LSP coming up...waxes and sealants last much longer than most people realize, it`s just their clarity and shine that disappear first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    try rubbing a spot with a light polish and see if it becomes clearer ..you will be able to see your LSP coming up...waxes and sealants last much longer than most people realize, it`s just their clarity and shine that disappear first.
    I`m definitely keeping this in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Poorboy! That was interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

OK then which wax or sealant keeps it clarity and shine the longest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    OK then which wax or sealant keeps it clarity and shine the longest.
    that`s a loaded question Larry ..everyone has their favorites and maintenence will play a big part in the answer. Sealants will almost always remain clearer longer than wax, as wax will yellow and fade as time goes by, but the intial look of a carnauba can`t be beat IMO and if maintained well, will protect and look just as good if not better than a sealant.

Thread Information