Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Help selecting a Vac.

My vac is on its last leg. After being used for everything under the sun and umpteen million times, dropped, kicked, etc....I am looking for a new one.

I want POWER.
    Needs to be a decent size and quiet. I want to MOUNT it in my trailer and buy a long hose.

Anyone have any ideas? I went to Lowes today and looked at a stainless steel canister vac. 6.5 HP I believe.
    Was $170, but not sure how quiet it is. It said on the box that it was 50% quieter than the other brands. But I want real feedback. Anyone can say anything to try to sell something...

Thanks
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help selecting a Vac.

Myuncle has installed several central vac units his kids homes over thepast 5 years. They usually hang the uit outin the garage so not to have the collection point in the main part of the house. The hoses in those homes would have to be at leat 15` long as compared to what normallycomes with a 5-6hp shop-vac type product. The are designed to hang on the wall so in your traler it shold work just fine. RANDAL

Post Thanks / Like

Chris-
    I have a 5.5 HP Shop-Vac from Lowes that does good. It has a small 5 gallon tank which gets the job done for me. However, last week I used a Craftsman 6.5 HP Wet/Dry vac with a 16 gallon tank and it was much more powerful than my vacuum. I was quite surprised actually. Sorry I`m no help but I will agree ... the more power the better.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the 6.5hp from ridgid in the past and it is a very good vacuum especially for the money.

I now use a Powrflite commercial wet/dry vac. I switched mainly because I needed a strong vacuum in a small space. I modified it a little. Switched from a cloth filter to a foam filter and I run 30 foot of 1 1/4" hose from it. Works really well, I don`t clean it out as often as I should but even with the filter all clogged up it still has quite a bit of power and it is very quiet.

Troy

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    I`ve used the 6.5hp from ridgid in the past and it is a very good vacuum especially for the money.

I now use a Powrflite commercial wet/dry vac. I switched mainly because I needed a strong vacuum in a small space. I modified it a little. Switched from a cloth filter to a foam filter and I run 30 foot of 1 1/4" hose from it. Works really well, I don`t clean it out as often as I should but even with the filter all clogged up it still has quite a bit of power and it is very quiet.

Troy
    Sorry to hijack your thread chris but i`m in the same boat. I`ve been using a 6.5 16 gallon craftsman vac for awile, does what i need but want something stronger for those really dirt matted carpets.

Troy how would you compare that powrflite vac to your old 6.5 hp vac. I was looking on their site, which model do you have? Was it worth the extra money? If its 2/3 times the vac the 6.5 hp models are i may justify spending the extra cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the Hoover GUV. I`m going to get if I ever get my darn trailer finished! I think i saw them ona website call Allergybegone (something like that). Google Hoover GUV, and you`ll find it. It`s a central vac that is small enough to mount in your trailer. It comes w/ 30 feet of hose I believe.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadybreal View Post
    Look at the Hoover GUV. I`m going to get if I ever get my darn trailer finished! I think i saw them ona website call Allergybegone (something like that). Google Hoover GUV, and you`ll find it. It`s a central vac that is small enough to mount in your trailer. It comes w/ 30 feet of hose I believe.
    I just looked it up on the Hoover site. Looks interesting!
    The price isn`t that bad either.

I need to find out a few specifics on it, ie.. how much does it suck, water lift...etc.....

Thanks for the heads up
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m all for power. Go 6.25 or 6.5, but invest in a flexible hose--you might loose some power if you are a little longer in the hose (so you can go throughout the car without moving the vac).

Has anyone used a central vac? or use one of the cannister vacs they use at coin-op places?
    Brenton Dickieson

Thread Information